Prospect Info: 63rd overall — C Dominic Turgeon

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
Blashill was very impressed with Turgeon at camp. He came in under-the-radar, and now is on Blash's radar. He said he improved much since his last camp.

In summary I would describe Turgeon as a Sheahan. Very good defensively, plays against top talents but doesn't get put in offensive role for the Winterhawks. But he has shown signs he is capable of finding an offensive game if given the chance.

Just like Sheahan was used in college, he is used more in a shutdown role and rarely gets put in offensive situations. He's strong at 6'2" and shows signs of having powerforward moves.

The downside is he's 19 and will play another year for the Winterhawks. I hope they move him up to the 1st line, but would rather see him turn pro.

Last edited:

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
More to this pick than meets the eye?

@RedWingsCentral
If you're an advanced-stats nerd, there's some merit to the #RedWings belief in Turgeon's offensive abilities ...

@RedWingsCentral
Turgeon ranked right there with Dal Colle, McCann, Ritchie and Lemieux in even-strength points-per-60-minutes.

Welp, he was 6th on his team this past season in points per 60 mins at EVS. So the offense isn't materializing yet. There's no rush but for those who were suggesting he's some sort of diamond in the rough...that has not proven to be the case just yet.

FlashyG

Dec 15, 2011
Toronto
Welp, he was 6th on his team this past season in points per 60 mins at EVS. So the offense isn't materializing yet. There's no rush but for those who were suggesting he's some sort of diamond in the rough...that has not proven to be the case just yet.

Maybe I'm reading the stats wrong but from what I see in that stat he's 5th, and 4th if you consider that one of the 4 people ahead of him played only 5 games. The 3 regulars that are ahead of him are Petan, Bjorkstrand and Koules, an overage player.

P/60
Bjorkstrand - 2.73
Petan - 2.26
Koules - 2.18
Turgeon - 2.16

When you compare their ice-time I'd say it builds an even greater case for there being potential in Turgeon's offence. He seemed to have been in a similar situation to Larkin with the US U-18 team. Always stuck behind another center that commanded a ton of ice-time.

Time on Ice/60

Bjorkstrand - 28.05
Petan - 27.5
Koules - 17.39
Turgeon - 13.48

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl

He also starts in the defensive zone, plays most of his minutes in a shut down role, and when the team is trying to maintain the lead near the end of games and plays PK with little-to-no-PP.

He's being used exactly like Sheahan was being used at Notre Dame. I'm not sure if you can look at CCHA stats to decipher them against WHL stats. But they are not far off in the PPG department in comparison.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad