Giroux 1.53
Grant 1.34
Hayes 1.31
Thompson 1.11

Vorobyev 0.94
Bunnaman 0.63

Grant 1.34
Hayes 1.31

So I guess we should scratch Hayes since Grant has a better rate, is also a good PKer, can score SH goals, and is big too.

Oh...and we should flip Giroux and Pitlick's icetime because Pitlick outproduces Giroux.

Hmmm...maybe stats don't mean everything or tell the whole story.

Reactions: Striiker

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
w

Getzlaf, Henrique and Steel have been their top 3 centers. And listening to Ducks fans, the 4th line took on the hard matchups and sheltered the 3rd line centered by Steel giving them the easiest matchups. Realistically, what we SHOULD have done this year with Frost....but that's another discussion.

It's actually what we DID do with Frost:

Frost had 59% O-zone starts, Bunnaman 51.8%, Vorobyev 51.6%, Hayes 45.5%, Laughton 43.7%.
That's the problem if you play Frost and Bunnaman at center together, can't protect them other than burying Hayes.

With Grant and Thompson, it's easier to play Frost at 3C, because they're both good FO centers and you can reduce Frost's time and play your 4C more with a lead - and Grant at LW can give Frost a physical linemate to do the dirty work with Pitlick or NAK.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
Supposedly lines are:

Giroux-Couturier-Voracek
Laughton-Hayes-TK
JVR-Grant-Pitlick
Raffl-Thompson-NAK

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
Odd to lose talent in the lineup as a buyer on trade deadline day. That said, maybe this helps us win more. With good coaches and systems it’s plug and play with these types of players and they can only help the PK. Just going to have to see how it works out. If it does not then Farabee will back. Frost is likely done with the flyers this year at this point.

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
I had been debating the lines in my head since yesterday.

My leaning was that I don't prefer Grant in the top 6. And I prefer Laughton at wing.

So I support what they are trying tonight. Laughton can always drop back to 3C if needed.

Reactions: PhlthyRich

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Odd to lose talent in the lineup as a buyer on trade deadline day. That said, maybe this helps us win more. With good coaches and systems it’s plug and play with these types of players and they can only help the PK. Just going to have to see how it works out. If it does not then Farabee will back. Frost is likely done with the flyers this year at this point.

Thompson though might be one of the worst PKer in the NHL off the underlying numbers this year...

Grant is legit good though on PK.

Amorgus

Sep 22, 2017
Rochester NY
Laughton on the 2nd line is Bizarro World stuff to me but I'll be very curious to see if either of the new guys can justify their signings tonight.

Reactions: SnS

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
The Thompson hate reminds me a bit of the Braun hate.

Boy, the Braun acquisition was met with a lot of critique. Why? Possession metrics without context.

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2018

I'll take it over Grant being 2LW but Laughton on the second line will always be meh to me.

The ripple effects that I keep talking about. Scooty Loots in the top 6. Hoo boy.

Though yes, it's better than Grant. If he can be a decent 3C with some actual NHL level talent around him it would be big. It'd let Laughton see 4th line minutes (honestly I'd play him at wing and Raffl at center) and bump Thompson out.

Best option is still Frost at 3C and Grant/Thompson at 4C. Though I'm sure in the next couple games it'll be clear who belongs between Grant and Thompson. I'll enjoy watching both like a hawk tonight

Reactions: Hollywood Cannon

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
The Thompson hate reminds me a bit of the Braun hate.

Boy, the Braun acquisition was met with a lot of critique. Why? Possession metrics without context.

I genuinely don't believe that there is Thompson "hate."

The hate is derived from the fact that we acquired two of these types of players instead of just one. If we just acquired Thompson to replace Bunnaman I think this place would be a lot less toxic. Instead the ripple effects that adding these two have caused is causing disdain for the players.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
I genuinely don't believe that there is Thompson "hate."

The hate is derived from the fact that we acquired two of these types of players instead of just one.
If we just acquired Thompson to replace Bunnaman I think this place would be a lot less toxic. Instead the ripple effects that adding these two have caused is causing disdain for the players.

It’s possible Farabee goes down for a bit even if they only got one. Andreoff is available.

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
It’s possible Farabee goes down for a bit even if they only got one. Andreoff is available.
oiOocDG.gif

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
He’s played with Hayes quite a bit before.

I think part of the disconnect when things like this are discussed is that there are camps that believe you should/do have a traditional Top 6 and Bottom 6 and those that prefer to go with a Middle 6 designation.

I believe when Hayes was with Laughton, at least a good portion of that time Giroux was at Center. It's tough to draw clear boundaries anymore beyond the Couturier line and the 4th.

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
Laughton is better at LW than C.

Laughton seems to be a better fit for Hayes on LW than JVR.

Grant gives them the option of playing Laughton with Hayes.

If Grant cant cut it at 3C, you can move Laughton back there.

Grant can drop to line 4 wing. Raffl goes up.

Reactions: PhlthyRich

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
It's actually what we DID do with Frost:

Frost had 59% O-zone starts, Bunnaman 51.8%, Vorobyev 51.6%, Hayes 45.5%, Laughton 43.7%.
That's the problem if you play Frost and Bunnaman at center together, can't protect them other than burying Hayes.

With Grant and Thompson, it's easier to play Frost at 3C, because they're both good FO centers and you can reduce Frost's time and play your 4C more with a lead - and Grant at LW can give Frost a physical linemate to do the dirty work with Pitlick or NAK.
So you think Frost should be the #3C? Cool.

;)

Thompson though might be one of the worst PKer in the NHL off the underlying numbers this year...

Grant is legit good though on PK.
What I don't understand, is why AV automatically pencilled Thompson into the #4C spot and there was no debate at all about Grant being that guy at some point. Now maybe it's just to "stroke the vets" ego but I wish I would have heard "we added 2 players who both can be good 4th liners centers but with Grant, we have a bit more options of him moving up and down the lineup and at all 3 positions as well. We will see how things gel and how chemistry and injuries play out".

And yeah, I know my "want" is just coaches speak, but it seems that Grant as the #4C and Thompson as the #13th guy is 100% not going to happen at any point. And yet that could be our best lineup.

TB87

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
May 30, 2018
PK Suppression Metrics (CoNtExT iNcLuDeD):

Thompson is a horrendous PKer this season. Truly awful stuff. Grant is legitimately good on the PK this season. Using Thompson at all on the PK would be an unnecessary roll of the dice by Yeo & AV.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
So you think Frost should be the #3C? Cool.

;)

What I don't understand, is why AV automatically pencilled Thompson into the #4C spot and there was no debate at all about Grant being that guy at some point. Now maybe it's just to "stroke the vets" ego but I wish I would have heard "we added 2 players who both can be good 4th liners centers but with Grant, we have a bit more options of him moving up and down the lineup and at all 3 positions as well. We will see how things gel and how chemistry and injuries play out".

And yeah, I know my "want" is just coaches speak, but it seems that Grant as the #4C and Thompson as the #13th guy is 100% not going to happen at any point. And yet that could be our best lineup.

I think Frost should definitely be the 3C NEXT year after he adds some more strength, right now, he's just not NHL strong even by Gaudreau standards. :laugh:

This year he's the injury default option, because you have to seriously protect him which reduces matchup flexibility, especially on the road.

Grant has outscored Goodrow, who isn't going to be a 4C, why not see what he can do for a couple games with better teammates than the three slugs he was stuck with in Anaheim, Deslauriers (1.01 pp/60), Jones (0.94), and Rowney (0.87).

flyersnorth

Oct 7, 2019
Bottom line, we're still missing a truly talented C. It's causing this bizarre mish mash.

Add Patrick back in, and things look at lot more settled, but I'm now very doubtful that he plays this season.

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
I think part of the disconnect when things like this are discussed is that there are camps that believe you should/do have a traditional Top 6 and Bottom 6 and those that prefer to go with a Middle 6 designation.

I believe when Hayes was with Laughton, at least a good portion of that time Giroux was at Center. It's tough to draw clear boundaries anymore beyond the Couturier line and the 4th.

Vigneault is also a complicating factor, because he's probably the most egalitarian coach in the league when it comes to icetime. Besides fourth liners, he'll basically play any given forward somewhere between 14 and 18 minutes every game, little more/little less.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
PK Suppression Metrics (CoNtExT iNcLuDeD):

Thompson is a horrendous PKer this season. Truly awful stuff. Grant is legitimately good on the PK this season. Using Thompson at all on the PK would be an unnecessary roll of the dice by Yeo & AV.

So this make AV making Thompson the de facto #4C and not even thinking of Grant as that guy, even more bizarre.

But maybe it's just a "gotta see what we have here". Let's hope we keep winning during this trial.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad