6'2" 205lb. RHD Kenney Morrison And 6'3" 220lb. C Bryce Van Brabant Going Pro?

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
If you are a below average skater as a defenseman and you aren't physical then you had damn well better have impeccable positioning and be dynamite defensively with your stick.

IMO we need some guys on the back end to move bodies and to make the opposition at least think that the possibility of them getting their brain scrambled is there. We don't have any of the latter on our club.

As for Dillon having more goals this season, how about last season?

Morrison
'12-13 38gp. 7-13-20
'13-14 38gp. 4-15-19 83pim.

Simpson
'12-13 42gp. 5-19-24
'13-14 37gp. 7-14-21

Offense wise there doesn't seem to be much separating them and at least historically North Dakota is a lot more of a NCAA powerhouse than Western Michigan so without even looking at their teams stats I'd venture to guess that Simpson has a better supporting cast and more talented teammates as a general rule of thumb.

Simpson is no shrimp. He is 6'2 and should be a 210 player. So not like he wont be able to move bodies effectively or break a cycle, he just wont lay player out mid ice. And with the projected future Oilers D, he wont be relied to be a big body presence. Klefbom, Marincin, Nurse, Petry (not as effective), possibly Ekblad, possibly one of Musil/Gernat, will all be 6'3-6'5 and most will be big defenseman (Klefbom, Nurse and Eklblad specifically)

He did have more goals last year, but I don't know who had more PP time, or who scored more on the PP, so its hard to judge. The point is, having a harder shot doesn't separate him

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Nurse is the only guy that projects to be physical possibly Ekblad as well if we draft him. As for a heavy point shot, this team lacks that in a big way, guys like Schultz and Marincin can both score with more skilled plays but we sorely lack that bomb from the point that just straight up creates rebounds and havoc in front of the net. Ekblad has it, Petry when the mood strikes him has it, but we could sure use some of this kind of velocity IMO. Also Morrison is already 205lbs. and if Simpson projects to 210lbs. then why can't Morrison project to 220lbs.?

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Nurse is the only guy that projects to be physical possibly Ekblad as well if we draft him. As for a heavy point shot, this team lacks that in a big way, guys like Schultz and Marincin can both score with more skilled plays but we sorely lack that bomb from the point that just straight up creates rebounds and havoc in front of the net. Ekblad has it, Petry when the mood strikes him has it, but we could sure use some of this kind of velocity IMO. Also Morrison is already 205lbs. and if Simpson projects to 210lbs. then why can't Morrison project to 220lbs.?

Jesus haha. That is a rocket

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Jesus haha. That is a rocket

The kid can really hammer the puck.

wait, did that goal count?

come on ref, it was still in play :P

No of course but that has to get the other teams attention I would think. Remember when we had Souray? If guys would block his shot there were quite a few times when they were flat out felled by his shot. I'm thinking that Morrison's shot could clear out a few PKers and give the guys more room for cross ice passes, their passes of choice! :sarcasm:

Marincin and Petry both have heavy shots from the point, don't know why either of em can't use it.

Even in the NCAA Petry didn't score many goals on slappers even though he could hammer the puck. Of course back then he was more than fine leading the rush and jumping in too. By my eye Morrison's slapper would be the best on this team.

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
having a giant bomb on the point opens up the entire PP, the PK has to play a guy higher int eh box to make sure they dont have the time to get it off 1. because it can cause goals/rebounds and 2. they dont want to be 15' away and try to block a bomb, you have to play them close. Not sure who say the ottawa/preds game a week or 2 ago but the sens played a low box and weber smoked anderson in the neck and then the next shift smashed cody ceci in the brain. after that the sens PK kept a player withing 3-5' of weber so he couldnt shoot anymore.
If the oilers could pull a PK'er higher up int he box it allows gagner/rnh/eberle more room down low to do what they are actually good at.

Crobby

Sep 14, 2009
having a giant bomb on the point opens up the entire PP, the PK has to play a guy higher int eh box to make sure they dont have the time to get it off 1. because it can cause goals/rebounds and 2. they dont want to be 15' away and try to block a bomb, you have to play them close. Not sure who say the ottawa/preds game a week or 2 ago but the sens played a low box and weber smoked anderson in the neck and then the next shift smashed cody ceci in the brain. after that the sens PK kept a player withing 3-5' of weber so he couldnt shoot anymore.
If the oilers could pull a PK'er higher up int he box it allows gagner/rnh/eberle more room down low to do what they are actually good at.

This is where we actually had success with our PP before...when we can work the puck down low and make the back door pass.

Now teams have adjusted to cover for this since we have zero threats from the point. Some of our guys have decent shots..they just cant get into position to get them off or lack the offensive IQ to make the play. J. Schultz is probably our best weapon back there and half the time he will opt for a wrist shot anyways.

Teams just box out our small forwards and let the goalie control those light rebounds anyway. We need a big shot on the backend to cause some chaos

fuswald

I'd Be Fired
Dec 10, 2008
Edmonton
Yeah those Marincin and Klefbom kids look terrible. I doubt they ever make the Oilers... Oh wait. ;)

I don't think they are prospects any longer but oiler regulars. The Barons are needing all the help they can get and still the Oil took Klefbom. Regulars I say.

So then our prospect pool is a bit weak. Fedun is as good as gone and who else has a possibility of the NHL next year? Nurse is the only one but he should be sheltered / pro educated at least one year.

Side note Fedun deserved a big shot with the Oilers and didn't get it. I don't understand why. Now it's playoff time for the Barons I see it but why not before? Not like we had a good d.

fuswald

I'd Be Fired
Dec 10, 2008
Edmonton
This is where we actually had success with our PP before...when we can work the puck down low and make the back door pass.

Now teams have adjusted to cover for this since we have zero threats from the point. Some of our guys have decent shots..they just cant get into position to get them off or lack the offensive IQ to make the play. J. Schultz is probably our best weapon back there and half the time he will opt for a wrist shot anyways.

Teams just box out our small forwards and let the goalie control those light rebounds anyway. We need a big shot on the backend to cause some chaos

Part of this is some genius figures 4 forwards can score more than 3 plus 2 d.
Gee, I'll bet someone tried that before in what near 100 years of hockey and found out there's a reason for 2 d with shots and defensive awareness. IT WORKS DUMASS! <-for the genius not the poster

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
I don't think they are prospects any longer but oiler regulars. The Barons are needing all the help they can get and still the Oil took Klefbom. Regulars I say.

So then our prospect pool is a bit weak. Fedun is as good as gone and who else has a possibility of the NHL next year? Nurse is the only one but he should be sheltered / pro educated at least one year.

Side note Fedun deserved a big shot with the Oilers and didn't get it. I don't understand why. Now it's playoff time for the Barons I see it but why not before? Not like we had a good d.

I think it was just bad luck and bad timing. If Nystrom hadn't tried to end his career, he would have come up a couple years ago and would had a shot to show what he can do at the NHL without the worry of kids possibly passing him. The problem is he missed that year of develop, basically almost 2 years, and guys like Marincin, Klefbom and Nurse passed him in the depth chart. You add that to the fact that in his time up he played well, but didn't look like he was much more then a bottom pairing/tweener type. I'm a huge Fedun fan, but I'm ok with the organization "making up their mind" on a guy. I think he'll be let go as UFA this summer and I wish him all the luck in the world.

Edit: A guy like Fedun would fit masterfully on a blueline like the Kings, Blues or Hawks, where he can come in, give you a bit of everything, but there are other guys to play hard minutes.

HotToddy75

Jun 13, 2011
When the salary cap was flat-lining, or rising slowly, draft picks and prospects were in high demand because you could fill roster spots cheaply.

With the cap rising, UFA signings are far more critical. The strong franchises are able to fill their needs with reasonably paid UFA signings. With defensemen, this is especially critical because they develop later and you can't use rookies as easily.

Kenney Morrison can be offered the same deal as Justin Schultz. Give him the rookie maximum if that's what it takes. It's a reasonable premium to pay because you don't lose any draft picks or roster players.

In a broader sense, if the Oilers continue to be unable to land solid UFA defensemen without overpaying, they are doomed. Landing Morrison would be a step in the right direction, albeit with a rookie.

I'd like to see the Oilers signing Morrison and Fayne, then an 'upgrade trade'.

missinthejets

Dec 24, 2005
Marincin and Petry both have heavy shots from the point, don't know why either of em can't use it.

In Petrys case (just because we've seen so much more of him) I think the problem is that while he can shoot pretty hard when he wants to he simply has trouble getting that shot through traffic. Seems like every time he tees one up it goes into someones shin pads.

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
In Petrys case (just because we've seen so much more of him) I think the problem is that while he can shoot pretty hard when he wants to he simply has trouble getting that shot through traffic. Seems like every time he tees one up it goes into someones shin pads.

Exactly...with Petry he's got a big shot, but he almost never hits the net with it when he tries to put on any velocity. He's the king of "He didn't miss the net by much!"...it's the main reason why his point totals never seem to be as much as his talent level would suggest.

Personally I think having a big point shot tends to be overvalued...I'd rather have the guy that has a pedestrian shot but knows how to keep it low and on net.

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
Why not?
If Morrison has a DeKeyser level impact, it would be a great signing and if not, ah well it was worth a shot.
Plus the Oilers are lacking on the right side and have no big shot from the blueline so this seems like an ideal fit so I don't see the downside here.

There is no downside at all. He's an NHL player. If those of us who feel that way are wrong, it's an ELC deal. A two year contract spot is not going to hurt this organization.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Klefbom also has a very good shot to, and has shown hes not afraid to use it in his NHL call up.

If we really needed that bomb from the point on the PP, Klefbom could provide it.

Gernat is another prospect with a good shot that can be utilized on the PP.

Morrison is a good prospect, but seems to be a luxury pick up for me. We should defiantly try and get him, but if we don't get him I wouldn't loose sleep, and if we do get him I don't think hed have any more than a marginal impact on this team (we have more pressing issues)

missinthejets

Dec 24, 2005
Exactly...with Petry he's got a big shot, but he almost never hits the net with it when he tries to put on any velocity. He's the king of "He didn't miss the net by much!"...it's the main reason why his point totals never seem to be as much as his talent level would suggest.

Personally I think having a big point shot tends to be overvalued...I'd rather have the guy that has a pedestrian shot but knows how to keep it low and on net.

I would agree with that completely, it's more important to be able to get the shot on net than how hard you can shoot it. Obviously a combination of both is ideal, but any decent slap shot that gets through traffic and on net is beneficial just because rebounds and deflections are a very common way to score.

Klimando Kostani

Sep 17, 2013
Victoria
The only positives from his perspective would be that he's from Alberta, and that the team is desperate enough to sign him now and play him this year blowing a year off his ELC... Gotta make these kinds of promises to entice guys.

The negatives? Weak coach, worst team in NHL for years so winning is a ways off, living in Edmonton, tough travel sched, losing culture, living in Edmonton and of course living in Edmonton.

Fact is if he signs, he can probably play now... As for someone's comment about being stacked with D prospects, that was sarcasm right?!! Honestly, aside from Nurse, the Oil has NOTHING of any consequence back there...

I'm sure that he would receive a guarantee of being the first RHD call up/possibility of making the team right out of TC.

Justin Schultz made the choice to come here and he could have signed with clubs all over NA. Don't let your negative attitude make you miss the logic behind this.

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
If you are a below average skater as a defenseman and you aren't physical then you had damn well better have impeccable positioning and be dynamite defensively with your stick.

IMO we need some guys on the back end to move bodies and to make the opposition at least think that the possibility of them getting their brain scrambled is there. We don't have any of the latter on our club.

As for Dillon having more goals this season, how about last season?

Morrison
'12-13 38gp. 7-13-20
'13-14 38gp. 4-15-19 83pim.

Simpson
'12-13 42gp. 5-19-24
'13-14 37gp. 7-14-21

Offense wise there doesn't seem to be much separating them and at least historically North Dakota is a lot more of a NCAA powerhouse than Western Michigan so without even looking at their teams stats I'd venture to guess that Simpson has a better supporting cast and more talented teammates as a general rule of thumb.

Also people need to keep in mind, rather than getting to wrapped up in stats. Western is being coached by an NHL guy, putting his players in positions to succeed. We've seen it with Tennysen and Dekeyser, and we're now seeing it with both Morrison and let's not forget Oesterle.

With Western's ties to the Wings, especially with this lot of players, Im not so sure it comes into play with Morrison. He's not a Michigan kid and Im thinking Detroit is all over Christian Folin right now with Vancouver's mess.

It'll be interesting but the Oilers should have a good shot at Morrison.

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
Klefbom also has a very good shot to, and has shown hes not afraid to use it in his NHL call up.

If we really needed that bomb from the point on the PP, Klefbom could provide it.

Gernat is another prospect with a good shot that can be utilized on the PP.

Morrison is a good prospect, but seems to be a luxury pick up for me. We should defiantly try and get him, but if we don't get him I wouldn't loose sleep, and if we do get him I don't think hed have any more than a marginal impact on this team (we have more pressing issues)

Once again, let's not get to wrapped up in his shot or points. It's his all around game that's going to translate well into the league. He's just smooth and does everything right.

misfit

5-14-6-1
Feb 2, 2004
just north of...everything
Bryce Van Brabant is Geoff Paukovich who plays the wing. I really can't see him ever making the NHL or even becoming a good AHL forward.

Kenney Morrison, on the other hand, I could see being a very good signing if we can make it happen. The depth on the right side isn't good, especially if Fedun walks via free agency.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Once again, let's not get to wrapped up in his shot or points. It's his all around game that's going to translate well into the league. He's just smooth and does everything right.

That's what I like to hear

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
The negatives? Weak coach, worst team in NHL for years so winning is a ways off, living in Edmonton, tough travel sched, losing culture, living in Edmonton and of course living in Edmonton.

Yeah, I can't imagine how 2 players who grew up in Northern Alberta would even consider living in.... wait for it.... Northern Alberta.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Bryce Van Brabant is Geoff Paukovich who plays the wing. I really can't see him ever making the NHL or even becoming a good AHL forward.

Kenney Morrison, on the other hand, I could see being a very good signing if we can make it happen. The depth on the right side isn't good, especially if Fedun walks via free agency.

Any idea why so many teams are looking at Bryce if he looks like a borderline AHLer? I've never seen him play but I figured that there must be something there to have a bunch of teams checking him out.

Red Deer Rebel

Apr 7, 2008
Red Deer
Justin Schultz signed here after meeting with Ralph Kreuger, and speaking with Coffey and Gretzky. An impressive recruiting effort if ever there was one.

Now, Kreuger has been fired, and MacTavish and Eakins are the face of the franchise. :laugh:

Since Morrison is originally from Lloydminster, there's always the possibility he will overlook the gross incompetence in the Oilers' hockey operations, let his passions govern his decision, and sign with the team he's wanted to play with since he was a boy.

His agent (or "family adviser") may have other ideas ...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad