6'2" 205lb. RHD Kenney Morrison And 6'3" 220lb. C Bryce Van Brabant Going Pro?

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
Looks like Morrison is probably going pro after the season. A year ago he was probably a lock to sign with the Oilers. What are people's thoughts?

He's a pretty complete player. Very much like Dekeyser. Good size, does everything well, has been coached as well as any college player and his compete level is really high. Not to mention as good of a shot as anyone.

Although I wouldn't call it a coup, if they are able to sign him, it would be a nice ending to a horrible season. You know Detroit will be in on him but they are so loaded with near ready D prospects, I have to think he signs elsewhere. You know Burke will be all over him also.

Just like Dekeyser, going back for another year blew his stock through the roof.

Hopefully management is all over this. Signing him would be a nice step building this blue line long term. There's not a doubt in my mind he's a top 4 guy and it's not going to take very long.

EDIT Added Bryce Van Brabant to the list as both are Alberta natives and highly sought after prospects.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hynh

Jun 19, 2012
Kenney Morrison, Defence, Western Michigan (6’2″ 205 lbs): Last year the hot defensive prospect out of Western Michigan was Danny DeKeyser. This year there is another, Kenney Morrison. The sophomore has three goals and 15 assists in 36 games this season. Morrison is a tremendous skater. He has outstanding speed, great acceleration, and superb edgework. As a result he is extremely mobile on the backend and a great two-way defender. The 22-year-old has an absolute cannon from the point, and if he can be just a little more accurate could really do damage on the powerplay. He also plays an excellent defensive game, and his ability to change directions quickly makes him a feared hitter off the rush. There could be a huge bidding war for Morrison, who is clearly the best defenceman on the market.

http://lastwordonsports.com/2014/03/15/college-free-agents-class-2014-part-3/

Defense+Offense
Size+Skating
Physical+Right hand shot

If the team keeps not-losing-as-much, signing him would take some of the sting out of missing Ekblad. OKC would be pretty full of D prospects (especially if Simpson signs). Maybe they'll move Musil/Davidson at the draft.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I'd be all over trying to sign him. RHD are few and far between in our system. I really hope that we land him whether we draft Ekblad or not.

gofafeads

Oct 10, 2008
Can someone enlighten me on his contract situation. Since he is an undrafted free agent, is he able to sign at whatever dollar and term amount or is this the same case as Justin Shultz and there is a cap on the amount and term of his entry level deal.

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
sign them all MacT then we can weed out the ones who arent good enough

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
Can someone enlighten me on his contract situation. Since he is an undrafted free agent, is he able to sign at whatever dollar and term amount or is this the same case as Justin Shultz and there is a cap on the amount and term of his entry level deal.

I believe similar to Schultz minus the drama. Just regular sign pro ELC with anyone kind of situation

Hynh

Jun 19, 2012

He'll probably get something like DeKeyser.

Mcnofool6110

Re-defining Rock Bottom since '07
Dec 7, 2011
Sydney
Is he going to be any better or just as good as DeKeyser? I'll take that every week of the day.

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005

He's stuck on an entry level much like Dekeyser and Krug.

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
Is he going to be any better or just as good as DeKeyser? I'll take that every week of the day.

He's really a spitting image in a lot of ways. His shot is better but Dekeyser's shot is really underrated thus far. Much like Dekeyser though, he'll come in and play a very solid game and the offense, as it's starting to with Dekeyser, will come. He moves the puck really well and he just has that "it" factor. If Western continues to spit out these D, they're recruiting classes are going to continue to be elite. Andy Murray is doing a great job developing guys. Another undrafted guy is Balisy on that team who has an NHL future.

Will he need AHL time? I think it's fair to say he will. The chance of coming right in just playing top 4 minutes is a lot of pressure on a kid. Dekeyser surprised everyone when he did it. That would be ideal but you cant expect that.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Signing Simpson should be priority #1. Once hes signed we should go after Morrison.

There could be some issues with development time in the AHL if we sign both. Wed have Simpson, Gernat, Davidson, Musil, Morrison and possibly Fedun/Klefbom fighting for minutes. I would imagine Fedun would want to be dealt to a team where he was a better shot of making the NHL. Hes older and is ripping up the AHL. However the return wouldn't be much for a 24 YO with no NHL experience. Possibly try getting Glennie from Dallas as a reclamation project

Is this Morrison guy NHL ready? Perhaps he could step into a bottom pairing role like Dekeyser did

Groucho

Tier 1 Fan
Aug 17, 2010
Displaced
Just me speculating, but I think that with Fedun's lack of a call up I don't believe the Oilers plan on keeping him around.

McVespa99

May 13, 2007
If I am the Oilers I am showing up to interview him with a large bag of unmarked twenty dollar bills. About $500000 worth. Eliminate all the other suitors right up front:)

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Just me speculating, but I think that with Fedun's lack of a call up I don't believe the Oilers plan on keeping him around.

I don't either. Although he deserves an NHL shot somewhere else. A clean break is probably best for both parties.

Hes older and will want to play in the NHL asap. The Oilers need to give his #1D development time to Musil/Gernat/Simpson.

Even if we get a higher pick for him, we picked him up for nothing, and he was able to kelp OKC out alot

I think he has a shot at being a quality bottom pairing D

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
Signing Simpson should be priority #1. Once hes signed we should go after Morrison.

There could be some issues with development time in the AHL if we sign both. Wed have Simpson, Gernat, Davidson, Musil, Morrison and possibly Fedun/Klefbom fighting for minutes. I would imagine Fedun would want to be dealt to a team where he was a better shot of making the NHL. Hes older and is ripping up the AHL. However the return wouldn't be much for a 24 YO with no NHL experience. Possibly try getting Glennie from Dallas as a reclamation project

Is this Morrison guy NHL ready? Perhaps he could step into a bottom pairing role like Dekeyser did

Fedun is UFA at the end of the year. He can go wherever he wants.

Tw0Shoes

Mar 15, 2007
He's really a spitting image in a lot of ways. His shot is better but Dekeyser's shot is really underrated thus far. Much like Dekeyser though, he'll come in and play a very solid game and the offense, as it's starting to with Dekeyser, will come. He moves the puck really well and he just has that "it" factor. If Western continues to spit out these D, they're recruiting classes are going to continue to be elite. Andy Murray is doing a great job developing guys. Another undrafted guy is Balisy on that team who has an NHL future.

Will he need AHL time? I think it's fair to say he will. The chance of coming right in just playing top 4 minutes is a lot of pressure on a kid. Dekeyser surprised everyone when he did it. That would be ideal but you cant expect that.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but Balisy was drafted by Nashville.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
His stats are noticeably worse than the previous year.

Maybe Im mistaken. But Western Michigan joined the NCHC conference this season, which is a tougher conference than the CCHA, which they were in the previous season

Hynh

Jun 19, 2012
His stats are noticeably worse than the previous year.

Laleggia was a 1st team all star as an offensive D in the NCHC and his numbers dropped off a bit too. Probably just strength of schedule from the new alignment.

Hynh

Jun 19, 2012

I'll bet the Oilers sre willing to play him 10 games and burn the first year of his ELC to convince him to sign. I'd start him in the AHL next year. Same deal for Simpson.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad