6'2" 205lb. RHD Kenney Morrison And 6'3" 220lb. C Bryce Van Brabant Going Pro?

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Signing Simpson should be priority #1. Once hes signed we should go after Morrison.

There could be some issues with development time in the AHL if we sign both. Wed have Simpson, Gernat, Davidson, Musil, Morrison and possibly Fedun/Klefbom fighting for minutes. I would imagine Fedun would want to be dealt to a team where he was a better shot of making the NHL. Hes older and is ripping up the AHL. However the return wouldn't be much for a 24 YO with no NHL experience. Possibly try getting Glennie from Dallas as a reclamation project

Is this Morrison guy NHL ready? Perhaps he could step into a bottom pairing role like Dekeyser did

Unless WMU goes on a miracle run, they'll have to sign Morrison first.

WMU's season could be over this coming weekend.

NoDak's could go into early-mid April depending on how they do at the NCAA tournament.

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
His stats are noticeably worse than the previous year.

He's played less games and they're not much different.

His presence on the ice has taken serious steps forward. You know who the best player on the ice is when you're watching the games.

I've never taken the number of points in regards to D into consideration much. Give me 4 Marincin's and I'll plug in the other two guys on special teams. The points will work themselves out.

All around D is what you need these days. When they have a shot like Morrison, those points will come.

OiledUp

Sep 17, 2011
Yeah seems like a solid addition from what I've read. And to me the logjam in OKC is a bit overblown. Especially with Klefbom and Marincin looking like they'll stick on the big club next season. Also if they keep Fedun it's as a 7-8 in the NHL is my guess.
Having to fight your way into the AHL didn't seem to hurt Davidson, Musil and Gernat much either. I think it's a great strategy to make every step hard to climb.
And we need RHD going forward. And we need a big shot going forward. If Morrison is the possible solution we need to go after him hard.

Tw0Shoes

Mar 15, 2007
He's played less games and they're not much different.

His presence on the ice has taken serious steps forward. You know who the best player on the ice is when you're watching the games.

I've never taken the number of points in regards to D into consideration much. Give me 4 Marincin's and I'll plug in the other two guys on special teams. The points will work themselves out.

All around D is what you need these days. When they have a shot like Morrison, those points will come.

That was more in reference to the quote. He has less goals and less points and more pims. How does that generate an explosion of interest?

That being said, Simpson might walk even if we don't sign Morrison, so no reason not to try on that basis.

SchultzSquared*

Having to fight your way into the AHL didn't seem to hurt Davidson, Musil and Gernat much either. I think it's a great strategy to make every step hard to climb.

Davidson has been a bit of a trainwreck this year... would benefit from lesser minutes next year anyway...

And we need RHD going forward. And we need a big shot going forward. If Morrison is the possible solution we need to go after him hard.

Absolutely... right handed guys are a desert in our system... next year roll with this:

NHL:

?-?
Ference-J. Schultz
Marincin/Klefbom-Petry
Fraser

OKC:

Klefbom/Marincin-Hunt
Gernat-Fedun
Davidson/Musil-Morrison
Davidson/Musil

Nurse goes back... I want him to absolutely obliterate the OHL next year... CHL Defender of the Year... WJC AST... no point having him up here yet... I hope MacT sees that is the right course of action... as you say we make every step hard to climb... from juniors to the big club

Laleggia we do not worry about yet... let him play out his senior year... Simpson is yet another LD and to be honest I am not sure we should not just flip him for a center prospect of equal value... our system is again weak there...

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
I'll bet the Oilers sre willing to play him 10 games and burn the first year of his ELC to convince him to sign. I'd start him in the AHL next year. Same deal for Simpson.

Doesn't matter. They'd burn the year regardless of AHL or NHL. The slide rule for 10 games played is only for underagers that return to Junior. That wouldn't be the case here.

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
Doesn't matter. They'd burn the year regardless of AHL or NHL. The slide rule for 10 games played is only for underagers that return to Junior. That wouldn't be the case here.

It has to do with age, not league. Smid's contract slid the first year he played in the AHL because he was 19 or whatever it is.

rasarhdasd

Apr 12, 2013
I remember Tencer/Stauffer tweeting about him last year -

Bob Stauffer ‏@Bob_Stauffer Jun 30
Muir headed to Western Michigan. Kenny Morrison a D from Andy Murray's school likely headed to Oilers development camp as well

Dan Tencer ‏@dantencer Apr 22
Further to @Bob_Stauffer, Western Michigan 6'2 200lbs. D Kenny Morrison, he of the wicked slap shot, is here with Oilers brass tonight...

molsonmuscle360

Jan 25, 2009
Ft. McMurray Ab
People wondering why Mac T kept our contract space freed up? This here is why, I told you all a few months ago that's what he was doing. Gunning for the big college players.

rockinghockey

Oct 22, 2008
He has size and shoots right that would be nice to have as a prospect. He will probably sign with another team though. I hope Simpsons signs at least.

If we did get lucky and got Morrison and drafted Ekblad I think we would be one of the deepest teams with dmen prospects.

Oct 30, 2011
decent write-up by HF on College FAs

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/articles/104605/carey-morrison-among-top-available-ncaa-free-agents/

"Bryce Van Brabant, LW
Junior, Quinnipiac University (ECAC)

There aren’t many players in the NCAA who are as punishing as Bryce Van Brabant, who doles out some of the hardest checks in all of college hockey. And it is that ultra-aggressive style along with his vastly improved offensive game that has made Van Brabant one of this season’s most coveted collegiate free agents. Among the NHL teams vying for the junior winger are the Calgary Flames and the Edmonton Oilers. Van Brabant attended both teams’ prospect camps this past summer.

The Morinville, AB native has posted 20 points (14 goals, six assists) in 36 games to date for the Bobcats. Where Van Brabant has been especially dangerous this season has been on Quinnipiac’s power-play. Of his 14 goals, nine have come with the man advantage, which ties him for the most on the team. Furthermore, his 14 goals are nearly triple his total from last season.

Van Brabant is a 6’3”, 205-pound power forward who thrives in the physical side of the game. He currently leads the nation with 105 penalty minutes. While he has established himself as one of the NCAA’s toughest players, he uses his size and strength very effectively in other areas, as well. Van Brabant’s strong frame and tenacity on the puck makes him difficult to move off of the puck, which is evident in his play in front of the net.

Van Brabant’s increased point production can be attributed to his persistence in gaining and maintaining puck control and his improved cycling ability. Van Brabant has also developed more foot speed and his strides are smoother. One area where Van Brabant continues to be quite good is on the defensive side. He uses his frame and long reach advantageously in stripping pucks and slowing down opponents."

Would be an interesting guy to have as a 4C for sure.

Last edited:

PaPaDee

5-14-6-1
Sep 21, 2005
Saskazoo
People wondering why Mac T kept our contract space freed up? This here is why, I told you all a few months ago that's what he was doing. Gunning for the big college players.

I thought any college players signed now only count towards next years contract limit or is this not correct?

SterlingArcher

Mar 11, 2013
So how many contract spots do we have open? Could we sign all three of Simpson, Morrison and Brabant. If so I am sure we can move out prospects in package deals for something. I don't know what exactly but something for our big club or maybe some prospective forwards?

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Well, Fraser looks like a massive waste of a spot

Fraser has done well imo. His only fault is that Eakins plays him a bit too much. He's a bottom pairing guy and I like how he gets in the opposition's faces.

He's not worth Hartikainen's rights (not sure what went on there) but imo the plan should be to have a skilled top 4 eating up the major minutes and then have at least one bruiser like Fraser sitting on the bottom pairing with limited minutes, ready to use at certain times.

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton
Both of these guys sound like perfect fits, I'm really hoping MacT can pull it off. Though I do think the Oilers are setting themselves up to have the youngest d-core in the league next year, and I think it's intentional. The sad part is that all these young defencemen will probably be an improvement. I hope it works out.

If they sign this kid, we're talking 3-4 rookies on D next season, if you include Marancin and Klefbom. I wouldn't be surprised if even Ference was shipped out.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
So how many contract spots do we have open? Could we sign all three of Simpson, Morrison and Brabant. If so I am sure we can move out prospects in package deals for something. I don't know what exactly but something for our big club or maybe some prospective forwards?

I'm not sure about this, but I count 3 spots.

hyster110

Mar 21, 2011
Can someone enlighten me on his contract situation. Since he is an undrafted free agent, is he able to sign at whatever dollar and term amount or is this the same case as Justin Shultz and there is a cap on the amount and term of his entry level deal.

Schultz in on an ELC as well

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Looks like Morrison is probably going pro after the season. A year ago he was probably a lock to sign with the Oilers. What are people's thoughts?

He's a pretty complete player. Very much like Dekeyser. Good size, does everything well, has been coached as well as any college player and his compete level is really high. Not to mention as good of a shot as anyone.

Although I wouldn't call it a coup, if they are able to sign him, it would be a nice ending to a horrible season. You know Detroit will be in on him but they are so loaded with near ready D prospects, I have to think he signs elsewhere. You know Burke will be all over him also.

Just like Dekeyser, going back for another year blew his stock through the roof.

Hopefully management is all over this. Signing him would be a nice step building this blue line long term. There's not a doubt in my mind he's a top 4 guy and it's not going to take very long.

EDIT Added Bryce Van Brabant to the list as both are Alberta natives and highly sought after prospects.

Disagree with the idea he was a lock to sign with the oilers. That is the theory people had for J schultz to sign with the Nucks

Oct 30, 2011
disagree that signing the best college and/or euro FAs makes us a better team

It's like signing a 2nd or later round pick, imo.

McDraekke

5-14-6-1
Jan 19, 2006
Edmonton
disagree that signing the best college and/or euro FAs makes us a better team

It's like signing a 2nd or later round pick, imo.

As long as it's not equated to someone we draft with a second round pick, then that's not necessarily a bad thing.

But this type of thing is low risk, high reward... why would you be opposed to this?

Oct 30, 2011
As long as it's not equated to someone we draft with a second round pick, then that's not necessarily a bad thing.

But this type of thing is low risk, high reward... why would you be opposed to this?

I'm certainly not opposed to it, but we should use some of our contracts on established professional players(especially defenders).

McDraekke

5-14-6-1
Jan 19, 2006
Edmonton
I'm certainly not opposed to it, but we should use some of our contracts on established professional players(especially defenders).

Gotcha... problem with that, is that they are likely to get signed by a team before we have a chance to talk with UFA's... And I feel like if MacT didn't try to sign these guys, and then got outbid/fails to get established professional players, then there would be an uproar that he didn't try to get these guys... Don't get me wrong, but I would prefer what you're saying, too, but I'd hedge my bets and hope that MacT could make some off-season moves in order to free up space for NHL players after signing these guys. We aren't exactly a UFA hotspot, so playing it safe is a good idea for us.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013

that would be the biggest non-issue ever though.

These are players who are UFA and we can walk away from them:

Grebeshkov, Belov, Fedun, Eager, MacIntyre, Smyth, Jones, Fraser, Pinnizotto.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad