Prospect Info: 61st overall Egor Sokolov LW, CB, QMJHL

SENATOR

Feb 6, 2004
Ottawa
If he could only skate and have better skills with a puck and be physical. Oh my! He looks like a structural clone of Eric Lindros without skating and a physical play. Even slouching the same. Eric had a booming slap shot too.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Do you have any stats on that?

From 2008 to 2013. Ottawa drafted 15 overage players. 5 of those played 100+ games in the NHL. Smith, Boro, Wideman, Hoffman and Dzingel.

I couldn't find exact data for this time range but from 00-09. % of players with 100 or more GP by round are as follows.

1st 37.3%
2nd 17.2%
3rd 13.7 %
4th 10.9%
5th 7.5%
6th 7.9%
7th 5.5%

So yes hitting on 5 of 15 picks is pretty damn good. Especially when you consider where these picks were made. 3rd x1, 4th x2, 5th x2, 6th x5, 7th x5

tstracuzza

Jan 18, 2017
From 2008 to 2013. Ottawa drafted 15 overage players. 5 of those played 100+ games in the NHL. Smith, Boro, Wideman, Hoffman and Dzingel.

I couldn't find exact data for this time range but from 00-09. % of players with 100 or more GP by round are as follows.

1st 37.3%
2nd 17.2%
3rd 13.7 %
4th 10.9%
5th 7.5%
6th 7.9%
7th 5.5%

So yes hitting on 5 of 15 picks is pretty damn good. Especially when you consider where these picks were made. 3rd x1, 4th x2, 5th x2, 6th x5, 7th x5
great stats Craig

SENATOR

Feb 6, 2004
Ottawa
Can someone please list ANY of these overage draftees that have panned out for the Sens since Alfie?

Not even one. They are designed shadow picks. Or when they trade up wasting picks, getting college committed players and so on. They even drafted a player, who had to serve the military draft service in their own country, Like the banks hide debt. The Sens use tricks to do this to limit expenses in their system. I picked on it 3 years ago. Since Dorion joined the organisation. This Melnyk's lapdog is a master of BS disguise. That's why he was hired. For those shenanigans, the league should ostracize Sens. Those are immoral practices for me as the Sens fan. We are not in the business to win Stanley Cup, but to serve Melnyk's agenda to stay on as the owner.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Not even one. They are designed shadow picks. Or when they trade up wasting picks, getting college committed players and so on. They even drafted a player, who had to serve the military draft service in their own country, Like the banks hide debt. The Sens use tricks to do this to limit expenses in their system. I picked on it 3 years ago. Since Dorion joined the organisation. This Melnyk's lapdog is a master of BS disguise. That's why he was hired. For those shenanigans, the league should ostracize Sens. Those are immoral practices for me as the Sens fan. We are not in the business to win Stanley Cup, but to serve Melnyk's agenda to stay on as the owner.

Great interview, led the Q in goals, nice pick.

Billy Bridges

Sep 20, 2011

100% Agree.

I don't even think Dorion is making these shadow picks. I think there is a second GM who makes selections while hiding in the grassy knoll beside the 5G tower.

Dan Patrick

Mar 11, 2020
This was a wild ride from start to finish. Thank you for your keen insight.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
I was impressed with his english on his interview on 1200. He only started learning once he came over. Smart dude, seems good natured and hard working too. The skill and the size are off the charts. Could be a great pick here. There were some guys I would have preferred but I don't mind this pick. High ceiling, high floor.

derriko

Mar 7, 2009
Las Vegas
He kind of looks like Milan Lucic in a way

I noticed that too. The Hunchback of Notre Dames’ younger brother.

Yegor doesn’t look like he plays to his full sizes potential and he seems to be somewhat similar to Gabriel Gagńe in several categories, though Sokolov is a poorer skater.

I’ll give it some time for him to get in better shape and see how he does before I critique him too harshly though. Better skating, conditioning, and him learning how to use his body might actually turn him into a valuable player, and you gotta like the hands in such a big guy.

Last edited:

Matsens15

Dec 1, 2009
Ottawa
Can someone please list ANY of these overage draftees that have panned out for the Sens since Alfie?

Not a Sens draft without wasting a high pick on an overager.

Overage draftees for the Sens since Alfredsson:
-Sami Salo
-Andreas Dackell
-Magnus Arvedsson
-Chris Neil
-Christoph Schubert
-Colin Greening
-Erik Condra
-Zack Smith
-Mark Boroweicki
-Mike Hoffman
-Max McCormick
-Chris Wideman
-Ryan Dzingel
-Christian Wolanin
-Christian Jaros
-Drake Batherson
-Mark Kastelic
- Egor Sokolov

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
I am texting with someone now who has been skating with him that say's he's improved his skating big time, and lost a lot of weight
Awesome. I really look forward to what kind of player he can become. He certainly sounds like a great character guy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad