Prospect Info: 61st overall Egor Sokolov LW, CB, QMJHL

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Sokolov plays LW but shoots right & could be a dark horse, seems to be a one trick pony with a great shot, but has as many assists as he has goals. Given he is a Russian with good size he could play in Belleville sooner rather than later. Needs to learn to be a 200' player, but could really surprise us, 3rd line RWer with 2nd line potential if he can put it all together IMO. Not a bad pick, I liked Dufour RW but this could turn out as good or better. Bondratime probably has a better take on this guy & has seen him a few times.

Dan Patrick

Mar 11, 2020
It is really refreshing to see the organization shed the stigma of getting Russian players. From watching some interviews this guy seems like he's interested in making a life in the pros over here and the connection to Batherson is also really cool. Definitely a guy I will keep an eye on as he possibly starts his pro career this year.

Reactions: NB613

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
Who knows how the player will turn out but can we sell his name plate to a corporate sponsor?

backlit_posters-022.jpg

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
Sokolov plays LW but shoots right & could be a dark horse, seems to be a one trick pony with a great shot, but has as many assists as he has goals. Given he is a Russian with good size he could play in Belleville sooner rather than later. Needs to learn to be a 200' player, but could really surprise us, 3rd line RWer with 2nd line potential if he can put it all together IMO. Not a bad pick, I liked Dufour RW but this could turn out as good or better.

I would have preferred Dufour too. Oh well. Sokolov could turn into and NHL and will play pro next year, so that's kind of nice.

Melgene Eunyk

Mar 29, 2015
This guy actually reminds me of Batherson, skillset wise. With improved skating he could really surprise people.

Reactions: NB613

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
Smitty, Hoffman, and I think Jaros were OA too? Could be wrong on Jaros. Novak is looking as good as you can expect from an OA 7th rounder, too.

Jaros was, yes.

Some others I forgot earlier - Chris Wideman. Max McCormick. Mark Borowiecki.

Alfie11

Feb 23, 2018
Zack Smith
Christian Wolanin
Drake Batherson
Ryan Dzingel
Mike Hoffman

I was thinking - why are people hating on these picks? They seem to do ok with this type of player.

I know people hate on guys like Smith but he's had a legit NHL career and scored 15+ goals a few times. That's a pretty decent return for a mid to late pick.

Sometimes the older player is easier to read and not every younger player has that much more upside.

Reactions: DrEasy and HSF

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Consentino said he really liked this pick and he sees Sokolov as an NHL player. At this stage in the draft if you can get an NHL player you are fortunate. I like his size which would be a good addition to the team IF Sokolov can ever make the team. Perhaps he can become a big tough 4th line winger like Reaves or Maroon.

Reactions: DrEasy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad