GDT: #61 Coyotes VS Blues 6PM

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Somebody from the management side has to be in the hot seat if we don't make the playoffs.

Because of the circumstances surrounding this team the last year, the management has done a ok job. If next year we are in the same spot then that's another story. We will soon find out what our management is made of.

It's his job to MAKE things happen, so I expect him to do his job. Enough with the excuses.

It's not an excuse it's a fact. It takes two teams to make a deal. I mean, he could make things happen by making a bad deal. I don't think the majority of us want that.

Last edited by a moderator:

Plub

Part time Leaf fan
Jan 9, 2011
Arizona
Because of the circumstances surrounding this team the last year, the management has done a ok job. If next year we are in the same spot then that's another story. We will soon find out what our management is made of.

It's not an excuse it's a fact. It takes two teams to make a deal. I mean, he could make things happen by making a bad deal. I don't think the majority of us want that.

It's an excuse. Until we know for a fact no one wants to make any moves, it isn't a fact. Even then it's his job to be creative and find a trade partner. DT has done what he can with what he has. Time for GMDM to do something.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
If Maloney is smart he grabs us a player tomorrow before our next game. Who cares if you give up a first. Your goal is to make the playoffs every year. I'm so sick of these little trivial moves bringing us a "depth player." This entire team is full of DEPTH players. How's it working out? We need a game changer. Someone who we can rely on to score near a point per game average. Look at the last 10 Cup winning teams, each one of them has at least ONE (if not quite a few) players who have the ability to score 30 or more goals a season. We don't have that, and we haven't in YEARS. We maximized this team's potential in 2012. A team full of 2nd line players will not make it to the Finals. Enough of this Moneyball ****. Your system is not working Don.

I would think DM would grab us a player if he could. Easier said than done.

GiveAFlyingPuck

Boring hockey aficionado
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2011
NW Valley of the Sun
Just got back. Thorough collapse in the 3rd. Looked like we came out with the 2 goal lead and figured the Blues would just roll over. Well they did. They rolled right over the Coyotes. Couldn't get the puck out of our end, constant icings, no time in the offensive zone. Looked like all the Coyotes gave up after the Blues scored their 1st goal. STOP PLAYING LIKE CRAP!!

SportsRacer21

Mar 12, 2007
Columbia, MO
Since the early hot start the Coyotes aren't the worst team in the league but they are one of the three worst. After the Nov 21 OT loss to the Avs the Coyotes were 14-4-4. Since then they have gone 13-19-7 and scored just 33 points. Only Buffalo (13-16-7, 33 points) and Edmonton (13-19-6, 32 points) have records close to that and no one in playoff contention has scored less than 40 points since that date (and that is the fading Canucks).

The hot start is the only thing that has the Coyotes in playoff contention, really it is just a mirage given the team's play the last 40 games. The team that has played the last 40 games is not a trade or two from playoff contention, especially given the high cost that is likely to be attached to the trade(s) given that there are so few sellers out there.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Since the early hot start the Coyotes aren't the worst team in the league but they are one of the three worst. After the Nov 21 OT loss to the Avs the Coyotes were 14-4-4. Since then they have gone 13-19-7 and scored just 33 points. Only Buffalo (13-16-7, 33 points) and Edmonton (13-19-6, 32 points) have records close to that and no one in playoff contention has scored less than 40 points since that date (and that is the fading Canucks).

The hot start is the only thing that has the Coyotes in playoff contention, really it is just a mirage given the team's play the last 40 games. The team that has played the last 40 games is not a trade or two from playoff contention, especially given the high cost that is likely to be attached to the trade(s) given that there are so few sellers out there.

I agree.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
Back from the game. Monumental collapse. 2 weak goals let in by Smith. Package him at tg
He deadline and give Griess his shot. Apart from yet another sub par goalie effort, the team collapsed. Yea, the refs tilted the ice towards the blues. It doesn't matter. That team is the league's golden child this year and all teams playing them know that they get away with clutching, grabbing and what have you.

Tom Polakis

Next expansion
Nov 24, 2008
Tempe, AZ
Just got back. Thorough collapse in the 3rd. Looked like we came out with the 2 goal lead and figured the Blues would just roll over. Well they did. They rolled right over the Coyotes. Couldn't get the puck out of our end, constant icings, no time in the offensive zone. Looked like all the Coyotes gave up after the Blues scored their 1st goal. STOP PLAYING LIKE CRAP!!

I noticed all the scrambling and icing the first 5 minutes of the third, and knew we were in trouble. Much of the problem was not hustling to get to loose pucks, which they had been doing all of the second.

Since I feel like I have to pick some WC team for the playoffs, I could get behind the Blues. I didn't realize until I looked at the program how stacked that team is, but without one real recognized superstar. While the Coyotes gave them some gifts, I don't know if I've seen another game live in which a team moved the puck that confidently.

Other than going to the last three games in my 13-pack just because it's live hockey, I'm finished with this team for this season. I'll tune in to this board to keep up on the news.

BigGumby

Apr 20, 2012
Moon Valley
If Maloney is smart he grabs us a player tomorrow before our next game. Who cares if you give up a first. Your goal is to make the playoffs every year. I'm so sick of these little trivial moves bringing us a "depth player." This entire team is full of DEPTH players. How's it working out? We need a game changer. Someone who we can rely on to score near a point per game average. Look at the last 10 Cup winning teams, each one of them has at least ONE (if not quite a few) players who have the ability to score 30 or more goals a season. We don't have that, and we haven't in YEARS. We maximized this team's potential in 2012. A team full of 2nd line players will not make it to the Finals. Enough of this Moneyball ****. Your system is not working Don.

I would love for this to happen, but I just don't see it.

I've seen enough evidence that the ownership doesn't want to spend more money because they keep complaining about attendance and salaries. Trading picks to bring in a first liner may help attendance, but it's not a guarantee. We are doomed for stagnancy.

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
It's a badly assembled team. There are many players that shouldn't be here

First, there's no reason to play Ribs with Moss & Korpi, you might as well put him in the press box if you're going to play him with those guys.

I want MAJOR CHANGES and I want them NOW

Get rid of Playfair, bring in another D coach, in fact bring back Ulf, he was better

Get rid of Moss, freaking terrible, Chipchura, freaking terrible, Schlemko freaking terrible (don't care about tonight) DeMo freaking terrible. Klinkhammer is also worn out his welcome with me.

We need to go get some heavy Dmen and play them with Yandle and OEL and put Z with Gormley.

This is a BADDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD hockey team.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Klinkhammer has looked much better post-Olympic break. He's just not a second liner. Great fourth liner though.

zz

Nov 1, 2006
I haven't even bothered watching the games since play resumed. Looks like we still suck eh?

Bad team, bad signings, empty offensive prospect cupboard outside of Domi => attendance woes => no budget increase => death spiral.

Alright, 4 more years of our traditionally bad team and the whole thing will disappear. Isn't that what everyone wanted?

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
HCanes Bandwagon
The last powerplay was embarrassing. Vermette standing still, wondering when the puck was going to enter the zone. Ribeiro skating sideways, with no particular sense of purpose.

The problem isn't the first part -- "standing still" and "skating sideways" -- it's the second part -- "wondering" and "no particular sense of purpose."

I don't want Ribeiro and Yandle on the same powerplay unit anymore. Give Yandle the first group, with maybe Doan, Hanzal and OEL, and give Ribeiro the second, with Boedker and Vrbata. Put a sprinter (swear to God, I'm fine with Bissonnette and MacMillan here) on each unit to be the terrier and lead the forecheck. Flip the puck in the zone and then go chase it like madmen.

Beyond that, I want dumber players and dumber coaches. Paul Maurice's fairly-anonymous team took us to school the other night, and Ken Hitchcock's better-but-no-superstars team did it tonight.

And I want to know why this team divvies up ice time the way it does.

Some of tonight's totals:
Doan ... 22:12 (6:10 / 6:47 / 9:15)
Vrbata ... 18:49 (6:22 / 5:29 / 6:58)
Korpikoski ... 16:18 (4:54 / 5:51 / 5:33)
Bissonnette ... 4:58 (2:36 / 1:56 / 0:26)

Doan is a warrior, nobody doubts that. Bissonnette isn't a 30 goal scorer, nobody doubts that. But especially after the good shifts they skated in the first two periods, I can't understand why the bottom 6 guys never get to play late in the game.

Paul Bissonnette's post-game comments said:
It’s upsetting & frustrating, especially when we played so well for 40...We just had to keep making predictable plays, stay on the puck…We got away from that…a recipe for disaster."
Hmm ... anybody on the team capable of making simple, predictable plays?

I'm off to the roster thread about this, but not before I try to talk some sense into AP and rabbit ...
Makes we wish we has traded for Jeff Carter over Vermette instead.
How would THAT help?
Back to drinking.
THAT, on the other hand ... :thumbu:

If Maloney is smart he grabs us a player tomorrow before our next game. Who cares if you give up a first. Your goal is to make the playoffs every year.
Wrong. Maloney's goal is to manage the short- and long-term health of the pool of players available to the franchise and to field a team for Tippett to coach. Making the playoffs every year isn't exactly either of their jobs, but it more closely resembles Tipp's.
I'm so sick of these little trivial moves bringing us a "depth player." This entire team is full of DEPTH players.
Ribeiro, Hanzal, Vermette, Doan, Vrbata and sometimes Boedker and Korpi are good players. That's 7 forwards. Halpern, Klink, Chip, Moss, Biz and McMillan (and Kennedy) are depth players. The ratio there seems pretty reasonable. There's a case to be made that our good players aren't as good as other teams' good players (true statement) and that our depth players aren't as impactful as other teams' depth players (I'd agree but there's room to argue), but we are one 25-30 goal winger away from everyone shutting up about this.

We need a game changer. Someone who we can rely on to score near a point per game average. Look at the last 10 Cup winning teams, each one of them has at least ONE (if not quite a few) players who have the ability to score 30 or more goals a season.

We don't have that, and we haven't in YEARS. We maximized this team's potential in 2012. A team full of 2nd line players will not make it to the Finals. Enough of this Moneyball ****. Your system is not working Don.
Here's a list of guys who qualify ... stop me when we get to the guy you want, and let me know your plan to get him:

Crosby, Kessel, Getzlaf, Tavares, Ovechkin, Kane, Perry, Okposo, Giroux, St Louis, Sharp, Malkin, Backstrom, Pavelski, Thornton, Toews, Seguin, Hall, Karlsson, Kunitz, Marleau, Duchene, Benn, Vanek ... and we get the point. You act like point-per-game players are out there like Alaskan gold in 1895, just laying on the ground to be picked up. There are a lot of teams in the league who don't think they have enough Milan Lucics and enough Jamie Benns.

Last edited:

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
This team is so frustrating to watch, but it's just a badly assembled team.

It's time to be sellers, I know that the ownership group doesn't want to hear it, but there's nothing worse than being just bad enough to miss the playoffs and not be in a position to get a 'great' draft pick.

This would be a great year to let Vrbata know that we want to resign him, but trade him at the deadline for a 1st rounder and then do trading to get a couple more 2nd rounders.

I'd like to get in the top 6 to get one of the following: Reinhart, Bennett, Dal Colle, Ehlers, Nylander, or Virtanen and then be able to pick up that late 1st rounder, which this year could be someone like: Ho-Sang, Fabbri, Milano, Larkin, Goldobin

KG

Sep 23, 2010

Wow, didn't realize it was that bad

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Wow, didn't realize it was that bad

The wheels really fell off after the Klesla waiving only a few days later. Makes me think there's something wrong with the room or whatever. They better find a way to jolt some life back into the team (even if it means trading key guys) because that record is near freefall.

Kaibur

Jan 23, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
The wheels really fell off after the Klesla waiving only a few days later. Makes me think there's something wrong with the room or whatever. They better find a way to jolt some life back into the team (even if it means trading key guys) because that record is near freefall.

Whatever went on there, it was badly handled.

I have been pushing for them to move Klesla since the WCF. He should have moved him for whatever he could get and open up a spot for Summers. When the Sharks got a 2nd and a conditional 2nd for Murray from the Pens, with one of the conditions being if Murray re-signed, I couldn't believe it. How did Maloney NOT get Klesla to the Pens? Or find some other home for him last deadline? If we had gotten a single 2nd round pick back for Rusty at that point, it would have been well worth it. We were on the outside looking in (much as we are now) and we only made a few crappy trades (Torres for a 3rd was the highlight). We earned 11 points in our last 10 games and earned the 12th overall pick. Chris Summers never got another game of NHL development.

Personally, I hope they find a new home for Schlemko this deadline. He's been a good soldier, but it's time to open up a spot for Gormley.

albertabound

Jan 25, 2008
When you have a line that is working and actually creating things, coaches in the NHL go with the working line? Tippet I find lately is being out coach. The Blues commentators even made the comment that the best line out there was out 4th line. Not saying that they are great but when your having a good game and score the only 2 goals of the game why not go with them? or at least match them up to the Blue's 4th line. On another note why is Smith so bad? Frustrated Coyote fan right now::help:

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
When you have a line that is working and actually creating things, coaches in the NHL go with the working line? Tippet I find lately is being out coach. The Blues commentators even made the comment that the best line out there was out 4th line. Not saying that they are great but when your having a good game and score the only 2 goals of the game why not go with them? or at least match them up to the Blue's 4th line. On another note why is Smith so bad? Frustrated Coyote fan right now::help:

The 4th line was out there a lot until Hanzal left the game. Halpern was moved up to take Hanzal's place and so the 4th line wings had to sit as Tippet shortened his bench.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad