Around the League - PLAYOFFS!?

leafs in five

Feb 4, 2007
engelland
All I can say is that watching the other series in the playoffs is extremely instructive, Because it underlines just how much this currently constructed Leafs team are not built for the playoffs. All of these other series are played at a level of pace, intensity and compete that the Leafs are not capable of showing. I saw this last season too....every other team I watched, win or lose, you could see was bringing it at a different level.

It's sad. But, true.
The oilers didn't register a SOG for like 25 mins last night, I think we could have managed that

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
All I can say is that watching the other series in the playoffs is extremely instructive, Because it underlines just how much this currently constructed Leafs team are not built for the playoffs. All of these other series are played at a level of pace, intensity and compete that the Leafs are not capable of showing. I saw this last season too....every other team I watched, win or lose, you could see was bringing it at a different level.

It's sad. But, true.
If more than 20% of Leafs fans watched the playoffs the team couldn’t get away with marketing themselves as contender.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Florida and Boston is going to be a battle. Similar to the Blues and Bruins

Glad to hear Edmonton lost.

GQS

Aug 2, 2005
Nah, in reality, passionate Canadian fanbases are more alike than they want to admit.

I was ripping into the Canucks and prematurely calling it a sweep after the first period. I poked around Oilers thread and they practically having a meltdown and gave up on the season after the third period. Gotta love the fans in a hockey town. Chirping other teams' fanbase and equally ripping into their own team.

Better than Nashville fans... their entire game day threads were like 7 pages long. They clearly don't have any fans.
No question Canadian fanbases are big and passionate, but I was referring to the amount of noise they make in the arena during games and Nashville fans blow Leafs fans out in noise making during a hockey game.

GQS

Aug 2, 2005
For a team with such a high-octane offense, the Leafs play an incredibly boring style of hockey.
While its always nice to see the Leafs put up goals, I didn't find the series with Boston boring at all. There was alot of hits and physical play, some good saves and timely goals I was still pretty entertained.

Also isn't this what many wanted the Leafs to be like in the playoffs? To be tough to play against and be able to grind out wins in close games? That our defense be physical and have the ability to punish the other team's best players? Well that's what we got alot of from this year's Leafs team. All these years so many were complaining about how soft the team was and how the defense wasn't tough enough, that certainly wasn't the case this year.

So yeah it would've been nice to see the Leafs light it up, but it was also nice to see that for the first time in years a Leafs team that could dish out the punishment just as well if not better than their opponents and not be called soft.

TheGreenTBer

Angry HFBoards Drama Queen since 2005
Apr 30, 2021
This would be a fun series if it wasn't held in the middle of the night for most of us. Solid NHL scheduling once again.
Honestly at first I was rooting for mutually assured destruction in this series, but Edmonton fans are like 2011 Canucks arrogant right now and their team is nowhere close to that good. I found myself really wanting them to lose.

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
For a team with such a high-octane offense, the Leafs play an incredibly boring style of hockey.

Our forwards are absolute duds. Especially our stars. No consistent cycles, no threat

Last night Boston D was terrified of Barkov. His passing was something of an art. He entered zones with so much ease and intention

It helps when your D like Forsling and Montour can support the attack. Lilly and Reilly were offensively inept

Reactions: Al14 and ToneDog

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
While its always nice to see the Leafs put up goals, I didn't find the series with Boston boring at all. There was alot of hits and physical play, some good saves and timely goals I was still pretty entertained.

Also isn't this what many wanted the Leafs to be like in the playoffs? To be tough to play against and be able to grind out wins in close games? That our defense be physical and have the ability to punish the other team's best players? Well that's what we got alot of from this year's Leafs team. All these years so many were complaining about how soft the team was and how the defense wasn't tough enough, that certainly wasn't the case this year.

So yeah it would've been nice to see the Leafs light it up, but it was also nice to see that for the first time in years a Leafs team that could dish out the punishment just as well if not better than their opponents and not be called soft.

Except the core remains extremely soft so it did not matter at the end.

Jojalu

Feb 22, 2019
Zadorov scores the tying goal, great up for the game winning goal, a force all over the ice. Glad we didn’t get that physical, “bottom pairing” slug.
I want Zadorov, but he will drive fans crazy.

Just like any player who signs here and gets thrown under the microscope.

Contrary to the belief of many, almost every player makes horrific mistakes and has ups and downs. It's not just the Leafs.

Arzak

Mar 27, 2019
Our forwards are absolute duds. Especially our stars. No consistent cycles, no threat

Last night Boston D was terrified of Barkov. His passing was something of an art. He entered zones with so much ease and intention

It helps when your D like Forsling and Montour can support the attack. Lilly and Reilly were offensively inept

They scored 6, Boston 5 in their first game.

Funny how all those weak goals on Silov didn't stop the Canucks "momentum". Blaming our goaltending in this city is quite frankly getting old.

Also, f*** the Oilers.

We scored a goal. Now its time to blame Sammy. We should be able to win games 1:0 !

Reactions: fahad203

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Funny how all those weak goals on Silov didn't stop the Canucks "momentum". Blaming our goaltending in this city is quite frankly getting old.

Also, f*** the Oilers.
My guess is those blaming our goalies are deflecting for the guy who bet everything on this core that continues to melt every April.

weems

Jul 3, 2008
Zadorov scores the tying goal, great up for the game winning goal, a force all over the ice. Glad we didn’t get that physical, “bottom pairing” slug.

Just saw this tweet a few days ago.
He throws some of the biggest hits I've seen.

Reactions: DarkKnight

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
My boy Zach Hyman 2023-24 playoff tracker

Zach Hyman .. 6 playoff games 9 playoff goals @ $5 mil
vs.
My entire Maple Leafs team .. 7 playoff games .. 10 goals total (including 3 X $11 mil players).

Zach Hyman 54 regular season goals + 9 playoff goals = 63 goals total (and counting)
vs.
Auston Matthews 69 regular season goals + 1 playoff goals = 70 goals total.

Reactions: Al14

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad