GDT: #61 Coyotes VS Blues 6PM

Kaibur

Jan 23, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
This is one of those situations where it's tough to live in a media wasteland like Phoenix. Nobody will ever ask Maloney to explain this. It's possible there are explanations. Could be he had some irons in the fire, trade-wise, and he thought he'd get one to convert into a winger, but they ended up all falling through unexpectedly. Could be he didn't want to bring in a short-term maybe like the names listed above because he didn't want to take up the roster spot when he thought he had a good shot at a better option elsewhere. Who knows? You're right, though, from the outside it looks...shaky. Nine one-way D contracts and at least one enormous, gaping, obvious hole in the top six at wing. That's tough to look at and remain a devout Malonian.

I know that's where I stand today. In three days, I may be taking down my "In Don We Trust" flag.

I get that there's some things we may not be hearing about. But ultimately that doesn't matter. Those are excuses. Management failed to properly identify the market opportunities and the timing to strike, which left them icing an imbalanced team that would struggle to make the playoffs at the best of times. We talked about Maloney being an amazing GM when the club didn't have ownership, but we wondered whether he'd still be as good with ownership and an increased budget.

The Ribeiro signing was amazing, but without an additional move it looks like a foolish expenditure. Ribs signed for term though, so maybe they're thinking with an astute signing they can be contenders over the next two years before Doan retires. What's the money and term on Gaborik this summer?

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I know that's where I stand today. In three days, I may be taking down my "In Don We Trust" flag.

I get that there's some things we may not be hearing about. But ultimately that doesn't matter. Those are excuses. Management failed to properly identify the market opportunities and the timing to strike, which left them icing an imbalanced team that would struggle to make the playoffs at the best of times. We talked about Maloney being an amazing GM when the club didn't have ownership, but we wondered whether he'd still be as good with ownership and an increased budget.

The Ribeiro signing was amazing, but without an additional move it looks like a foolish expenditure. Ribs signed for term though, so maybe they're thinking with an astute signing they can be contenders over the next two years before Doan retires. What's the money and term on Gaborik this summer?

My issue with the sign Ribs now, and get him the necessary tools later is that he's not young. The first couple of years of this contract are supposed to be the most productive. Hell, the only reason you agree to pay a guy his age to those last couple of years is so that you get to enjoy the first couple. We've flushed one down the toilet already.

Kaibur

Jan 23, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
My issue with the sign Ribs now, and get him the necessary tools later is that he's not young. The first couple of years of this contract are supposed to be the most productive. Hell, the only reason you agree to pay a guy his age to those last couple of years is so that you get to enjoy the first couple. We've flushed one down the toilet already.

Agreed.

Especially when you consider the aloof attitude Ribeiro is alleged to have. That might work okay on this club when we're winning, but in a losing environment I could see that becoming toxic. He already looks disinterested.

azcanuck

Jan 14, 2014
chandler az
Ribs was run out of Montreal but he's a different guy now. What evidence does one have he's " toxic" ?

He's a playmaker and needs to have some skill around him. He won't be productive with the Dave Moses's and klinkhammers of the world.

Yes it looks like he's in a funk but our whole team reeks of mediocrity. We simply don't have the talent to compete in this league.

Kaibur

Jan 23, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
Ribs was run out of Montreal but he's a different guy now. What evidence does one have he's " toxic" ?

He's a playmaker and needs to have some skill around him. He won't be productive with the Dave Moses's and klinkhammers of the world.

Yes it looks like he's in a funk but our whole team reeks of mediocrity. We simply don't have the talent to compete in this league.

Rapid shift in the dressing room culture.

"Hockey the Hard Way", "Pack Mentality". Meet the newest member of the Pack...Mike Ribeiro? I get it, but until the other foot drops, it just looks completely out of place. If Maloney thought there was a chance he couldn't get a top6 winger, I'm not sure if he should have gambled on Ribs.

awfulwaffle

Jun 20, 2011
Dallas, TX
Rapid shift in the dressing room culture.

"Hockey the Hard Way", "Pack Mentality". Meet the newest member of the Pack...Mike Ribeiro? I get it, but until the other foot drops, it just looks completely out of place. If Maloney thought there was a chance he couldn't get a top6 winger, I'm not sure if he should have gambled on Ribs.

Perhaps snagging ribs would give some people a thought that "wow, I can play in Phoenix, great weather, and I'll have one of the better playmakers in the league setting me up"? Perhaps that is what GMDM was hoping for? But we didn't have the cash to go out and get someone else though. Maybe he was just hoping this year it would work out, but it hasn't. But this offseason he's hoping to go out and snag a finisher and those 2 can be successful together? Who knows, but that is obviously priority #1 this offseason, finding someone that can work with Ribs and they can put some pucks in the net.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Perhaps snagging ribs would give some people a thought that "wow, I can play in Phoenix, great weather, and I'll have one of the better playmakers in the league setting me up"? Perhaps that is what GMDM was hoping for? But we didn't have the cash to go out and get someone else though. Maybe he was just hoping this year it would work out, but it hasn't. But this offseason he's hoping to go out and snag a finisher and those 2 can be successful together? Who knows, but that is obviously priority #1 this offseason, finding someone that can work with Ribs and they can put some pucks in the net.

We were all begging for a top line center last year and last summer. DM goes out and signs the best one to a reasonable deal, and we lost Gordon too. All ribs has done is lead the team in scoring with guys like Klink and Moss as his line mates. If you think about it, his point total is a miracle. DM was thinking and still is thinking, we need another top 6 forward to go with Ribs and one more top 6-9 forward to round out the team. we would all ***** like crazy if he gave up a fortune to get a 1st line winger. DM is a smart guy and so is Tip, they will figure it out at the TDL or this summer. Next year, the team will be much better in my opinion.

awfulwaffle

Jun 20, 2011
Dallas, TX
We were all begging for a top line center last year and last summer. DM goes out and signs the best one to a reasonable deal, and we lost Gordon too. All ribs has done is lead the team in scoring with guys like Klink and Moss as his line mates. If you think about it, his point total is a miracle. DM was thinking and still is thinking, we need another top 6 forward to go with Ribs and one more top 6-9 forward to round out the team. we would all ***** like crazy if he gave up a fortune to get a 1st line winger. DM is a smart guy and so is Tip, they will figure it out at the TDL or this summer. Next year, the team will be much better in my opinion.

Honestly, I say let Moss and Klesla walk, and go out and find a Free Agent than give up the farm for someone now. But that's just my wanting to see the likes of Gormley and Domi stay with us. And if we find out in a few games that we are definitely out of the race, I would like to see Gormley up to get some NHL experience at the end of the season.

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
IIRC, when Ribeiro found out he was not getting extended/let go by WAS, wasn't the first call that his agent made was to GMDM, since Ribeiro liked playing for Tippett?

So, maybe we did jump the gun when, for the first time in a long time, a high-value FA said that they wanted to come here. Maybe we thought we had some pieces in place already that would help with the transition of adding Ribeiro. Maybe there was also some thought that Ribeiro would help those players as well.

I feel like there was some blind faith involved in building this team this year, which there should be when looking at bringing in free agents. But previous years described finding the "fits" before the blind faith approach. I actually thought that we increased the talent level over what we had in previous iterations of the team. And, even though we can argue that DM had so many defensemen on the roster, I don't think it was a bad plan. We just could not have seen the fallout of our defense. Klesla never looked right after the preseason concussion. Morris had some family issues to take care of. Stone, Schlemko, etc. haven't been routinely horrible, but have not been good enough. Yandle is too inconsistent on a play-by-play and minute-by-minute basis. OEL and Z are even making bad mistakes. But the reason why it was a decent plan is b/c we would have needs for other teams at all levels.

Let's say that we were 4th in the West right now, and looking to add a top 6 forward. Well, the defense would obviously have lived up to the hype, meaning that players like Stone, Rundblad, Morris, and Klesla may be available as part of a package, and b/c each of those players would be more "interchangable" in the lineup (similar to how Stone filled in for Aucoin in the playoffs in 2012), we could make a reasonable case to part with one of those D. Then we'd have young talent or older, veteran players to throw together with a B level prospect (the Mieles, Lessios, and Szwarzs of the world) to get ourselves the top 6 forward.

The wins at the beginning of the season were the worst types of wins, b/c we were winning with sheer luck, which is different from winning ugly. Our additions made us into a team that would just play and pull things out of a hat, without regard to whether or not we were truly improving as a functioning team. All of a sudden, we start to get snake-bit by injuries and bad play, and players try to do things on their own to break out of the rut. All it takes is one player to get out of line, order, sequence, whatever - and it becomes harder to reel them back in. Especially when the players like Ribeiro, Smith, and Yandle have little to no repercussions for the poor quality of play. They can take those chances of playing out of system b/c they know there is little punishment coming their way. Heck, it took until game 50 to actually demote Ribeiro to 4th line.

We got complacent, and complacency doesn't earn anyone a job. It takes away from the compete level, and leaves players questioning why there was no improvement during the year.

Last edited:

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Ribiero isn't the problem. And I say this as a guy that could not (and still barely can) stand Ribiero as a player (I'm still hung up on the faking injury thing 10 years ago. Sue me). The guy has done exactly what could be expected from him. He's never been a high energy player. He slows the game down and makes plays the same way Oates did as a player. He's great at what he does. We haven't given him any help, and he's still leading the team in points. Our PP is much better when he's out there. We needed a center and we got the best one available for a price that wasn't terrible (hello, Clarkson). You guys have short memories.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad