Prospect Info: 60th Overall, Albert Johansson, LD

MrKriben

Dec 16, 2014
Stockholm
Albert is still on Färjestads first defensive pair together with Jonaton Blum.
He plays in all situations but with shelterd minutes and I like what I've seen so far.
Sure there are some mistakes now and then in the positional play and he needs to be stonger of course but his hockeysense and skating are fantastic.

He often joins in the offensive play, like in the last game he deked though the whole defence and then almost scored a backhand. #33 is Albert

Reactions: hkydave04

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Albert is still on Färjestads first defensive pair together with Jonaton Blum.
He plays in all situations but with shelterd minutes and I like what I've seen so far.
Sure there are some mistakes now and then in the positional play and he needs to be stonger of course but his hockeysense and skating are fantastic.

He often joins in the offensive play, like in the last game he deked though the whole defence and then almost scored a backhand. #33 is Albert

No lie. He was our most exciting defenseman in the 3 on 3 games at prospect game.
He's got some Karlsson-esque traits.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Johansson was my favorite pick of our draft.
And Hakan's post-draft comments solidified that.
Has speed. Hockey IQ. Loves to be aggressive.
If the size and shot comes, look out.

He's list at 6', isn't he? I think 185 would be a fair playing weight, and shouldn't be hard for that height.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
He's list at 6', isn't he? I think 185 would be a fair playing weight, and shouldn't be hard for that height.

Basically Filip Hronek. I think you look to see how he carries 185 and what his game is and tailor his weight to fit. If he's going to be a stallion of sorts who likes jumping up into the rush and relying on agility and skating, and he sits a strong 180, maybe pushing the scale too much isn't the best idea. That being said, if he ends up being bullied in his own zone because he is a weak 180, maybe he does need to find that 190-200 spot.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
185 lbs. should be the minimum for Dmen, unless they're 5'9' or less. Even Rafalski was listed @ 5'10', 200 lbs on hockeydb.com, while NHL.com lists him at 5'10", 194. They'll lose several pounds of waterweight by the end of the game, even after hydrating throughout. 190+ is ideal, otherwise they're too light & easier to move.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Yeah, but his family is all 6'2, 6'3

Then I'd worry even less about his size. The kid's 18, it wouldn't be surprising at all if he grew another inch or two. And his two older brothers don't seem to have been skinny players, either. I'll stand by the idea that even if he doesn't grow, if he gets to around 185, he can be fine on the blueline at that size, too.

185 lbs. should be the minimum for Dmen, unless they're 5'9' or less. Even Rafalski was listed @ 5'10', 200 lbs on hockeydb.com, while NHL.com lists him at 5'10", 194. They'll lose several pounds of waterweight by the end of the game, even after hydrating throughout. 190+ is ideal, otherwise they're too light & easier to move.

There are a lot of good D in the game today under 190 pounds. Do I think he could take more wear and tear at a little heavier weight? Yeah, but only if it doesn't slow him down and affect his play in a negative way. My main point, though, is that the guy isn't exceptionally short right now. He's not really tall, but he's got a big enough frame to hold 185+ pounds. Right now he's a skinny teenager, but I don't see any reason he couldn't bulk up a bit as he gets older.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Then I'd worry even less about his size. The kid's 18, it wouldn't be surprising at all if he grew another inch or two. And his two older brothers don't seem to have been skinny players, either. I'll stand by the idea that even if he doesn't grow, if he gets to around 185, he can be fine on the blueline at that size, too.r.

Well, I'm not saying I'm worried. He's 6'0 now. If he was 6'2 or 6'3 and skated the way he does, we don't get him in round 3.
I'm saying there is some potential for extra upside here.
But while I agree he can be fine at 6'0, 185, i think that smallish defensemen still have issues in today's game.
And everything that's good at 6'0, 185 would be better at 6'3 195.

Reactions: Winger98

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Interesting comparison to Broberg.

Both play in SEL top level.

Philip Broberg plays for Skellefteå, 2nd in league, #9 overall from 2019 draft.
Albert Johansson plays for Färjestad, 3rd in league, #60 overall from 2019 draft.

Johansson, 38 games, 2+8 = 8 points, +2, 4 PIM, 46 shots, 12:39 TOI, 27 hits, 15 blocks.
Broberg, 41 games, 1+7=8 points, +0, 6 PIM, 49 shots, 13:52 TOI, 18 hits, 16 blocks.

Christien

May 1, 2010
I’m still really liking this pick a lot. He’s just getting his feet wet in the SHL, but next year I’m looking forward to him taking a big step after having a season of pro hockey under his belt. He plays such a calculated, smooth game... just needs to add some muscle and bulk up.

Larkin2AA

Apr 21, 2016
Rochester Hills, MI
I’m still really liking this pick a lot. He’s just getting his feet wet in the SHL, but next year I’m looking forward to him taking a big step after having a season of pro hockey under his belt. He plays such a calculated, smooth game... just needs to add some muscle and bulk up.
Do you think he makes his way to Grand Rapids at the beginning of the 2021 season?

TheOctopusKid

Sep 24, 2010
Well, I'm not saying I'm worried. He's 6'0 now. If he was 6'2 or 6'3 and skated the way he does, we don't get him in round 3.
I'm saying there is some potential for extra upside here.
But while I agree he can be fine at 6'0, 185, i think that smallish defensemen still have issues in today's game.
And everything that's good at 6'0, 185 would be better at 6'3 195.

I think that's true in basically all sports - size matters. The one thing I would caveat this with, when it comes to defenseman - there are three primary ways that they get the job done defensively (and all D have some degree of all of them), and all of them can result in elite play: Power and Physicality (a la Pronger), Speed (Niedermayer), and Positioning (Lidstrom).

I don't know much about this kid, but if much of his defensive game is reliant on him taking the body and trying to drive offensive threats out wide to the boards - then 6'0" concerns me a lot. If his game is predicated on sound positioning and a preternatural sense of defense and being in the right spot at the right time to get his stick on a puck; or to disrupt passing decision - 6'0" doesn't bother me in the least.

Christien

May 1, 2010
Do you think he makes his way to Grand Rapids at the beginning of the 2021 season?
Next season? I don’t think so. I think what Henkka said is a good idea. Just let him get stronger and more established in the SHL, then bring him over.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
I think that's true in basically all sports - size matters. The one thing I would caveat this with, when it comes to defenseman - there are three primary ways that they get the job done defensively (and all D have some degree of all of them), and all of them can result in elite play: Power and Physicality (a la Pronger), Speed (Niedermayer), and Positioning (Lidstrom).

I don't know much about this kid, but if much of his defensive game is reliant on him taking the body and trying to drive offensive threats out wide to the boards - then 6'0" concerns me a lot. If his game is predicated on sound positioning and a preternatural sense of defense and being in the right spot at the right time to get his stick on a puck; or to disrupt passing decision - 6'0" doesn't bother me in the least.

All very good points about what makes an elite defensemen. Johansson's top skills are his positioning and his ability to recover quickly due to his speed. He's not as fast, big and physical as Broberg but he's a very high IQ player, has good stickwork and and underrated offensive game. I think he's got the potential to be a very similar defenseman to Niklas Kronwall - very strong passing game, excellent lateral mobility, very composed with the puck in his own end, and very smart. If he can develop the same timing for open ice hits then it's almost the exact same skillset as Kronwall.

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
No way that's going to happen, they've got far more established Dmen and it's a professional league, not developmental.
Here's their roster & TOI stats:
Färjestad BK spelarstatistik
I agree that it's unlikely, but if Johansson continues to develop it's not at all unfeasible that he'd genuinely be one of their two best D next year. And as you say, it's a professional league and thus he'd play big minutes as they need to play their best D

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad