Post-Game Talk: #60| Detroit Red Wings @ New York Islanders| February 21st | 8:00 PM | F/W 4-1

How many goals do we score tonight?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

scott99

May 13, 2005
Was at the game. The Tonelli ceremony was the best part of the night. He gave a great speech, and it was nice seeing a bunch of Isle’s legends there. BOTH owners were there and got a big hand from the crowd (I love those guys too). Jiggs was the master of ceremony, love Jiggs and Tonelli gave him props. It was a great night for us old timers who witnessed the dynasty (I was 17-20 during the 4 Cup run).

As far as the game. I was in section 204, GREAT seats. But man, what a horrible game. Worst win I’ve ever seen in person. The Isles play such an uninspired, boring style. No passion, and honestly, they look like they have zero talent.

Detroit is the worst team in hockey, by far, and the Isles had a shitload of shots, but for more than half the game, only had a 1-0 lead, and looked bad. Luckily they took a 2-0 lead late in the 2nd. Most of the Isles barrage of shots were not threatening shots. Breakaway shot wide, good opportunities shot right into the chest. HORRENDOUS passing. Just bad.

And even against the worst team, it seems like an opponent gets the puck out of their own zone easily, while the Isles struggle at that.

At 2-0, late in the game, I turned to my nephew and said, “this is the most boring game I’ve ever seen”. Honestly, it was not a warm, fuzzy feeling after that win.

Oddly enough, even with the 4 straight losses, and bad play since their early domination, they still have the 9th best record in hockey. But seeing it live and in person, I don’t see this team making the playoffs, just not a good team.

Quickdraw2828

Aug 2, 2011
Oddly enough, even with the 4 straight losses, and bad play since their early domination, they still have the 9th best record in hockey. But seeing it live and in person, I don’t see this team making the playoffs, just not a good team.

It's squarely on Lee and Barzal. When a bad offensive team gets nothing from the two top guys it's over. I think the Rangers will end up passing Isles.

SayItAintSoJohnny

Jun 30, 2018
It's squarely on Lee and Barzal. When a bad offensive team gets nothing from the two top guys it's over. I think the Rangers will end up passing Isles.

I will take that bet. The Rangers play the Penguins, Flyers and Caps eight more times, play the Blues, Lightning, Stars and Avalanche with three of those on the road...

No way do they pass us, especially if they end up moving Kreider, Fast, Buchnevich, etc....

Islanders have a very favorable schedule and a 6 point cushion....not gonna happen

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
I will take that bet. The Rangers play the Penguins, Flyers and Caps eight more times, play the Blues, Lightning, Stars and Avalanche with three of those on the road...

No way do they pass us, especially if they end up moving Kreider, Palmieri, etc....

Islanders have a very favorable schedule and a 6 point cushion....not gonna happen

Palmieri doesn't play for the Rags.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
This game was the night of the no-look pass. By my count we made 4 of them...Barzal, Nelson, Ladd, Dal Colle. 3 of them were turnovers. Let's be sharper than that guys.

As for the game, I thought we had a terrific 1st period and followed that up with a 2nd period where we began to stand around the D zone and watch Detroit move the puck.

There aren't many teams we can get away with a less than 60 minute effort. Let's aim for better than this Sunday against a Sharks team that will have less than a 24 hour turnaround.

Reactions: CBG

Glorydays22

Nov 21, 2011
this game was very boring and predictable. But by no means to me did we look better, it's just DET is horrible. We have so many holes, and we are still making the same mistakes. To me, not very encouraged until I see what happens next week. We have San Jose, Rangers and Blues. Have to play a hell of a lot better

Reactions: Capt Obvious

Tahoeblue

Nov 29, 2019
Reno/Tahoe
Last night's game and two points become meaningless if they don't follow it up with another win. Greene looks solid. The price we paid may not look so steep after what we see other teams pay on Monday.

PROMputt

I promise to never forget.
Jan 4, 2008
Lawnguyland
Eberle has been the best forward on the Islanders for about 2 weeks now. He looks to be skating really well. Maybe the injury earlier in the season took him a few weeks after getting back to get back up top game speed. And this is not just a reaction to last nights hat trick, watch him he looks to be moving really well out there and getting chances and carrying the puck well.

Tahoeblue

Nov 29, 2019
Reno/Tahoe
Eberle has been the best forward on the Islanders for about 2 weeks now. He looks to be skating really well. Maybe the injury earlier in the season took him a few weeks after getting back to get back up top game speed. And this is not just a reaction to last nights hat trick, watch him he looks to be moving really well out there and getting chances and carrying the puck well.
I would totally agree with your statement. Seems more involved and his snipe last night was a beauty. Consistency is the key for him. I would keep him on the top line RW. Questions is, do we move up Beau on the LW or look for another winger who can skate with and play with 13?

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006

I thought his skating looked good after a few games back from his injury. He just had no luck with his shots. Hopefully Anders Lee follow suit soon.

Uncle Duke

Heads up, fellas!
May 14, 2018
Sarasota, FL
this game was very boring and predictable. But by no means to me did we look better, it's just DET is horrible. We have so many holes, and we are still making the same mistakes. To me, not very encouraged until I see what happens next week. We have San Jose, Rangers and Blues. Have to play a hell of a lot better
Truth.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad