Post-Game Talk: #60|Capitals at FLYERS | Sun., Feb. 22, 2015|

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
Don't say that you'll offend the people that believe draft pick>all. Youre not allowed to root for your team here anymore.

Sure you are. Although it doesn't matter to them, they won't quit. Have to love it.

MadFerIt95*

Love the way the MDZ-Coburn pairing has played recently, they could either propel us to the playoffs or get us a good deal for Coburn at the deadline. Either way Im fine

BackToTheBrierePatch

Nope not today.
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
wow *******. this might be the most bi-polar Flyers team I have ever seen. Should of lost to Buffalo last Sunday and lose to CBJ and Buffalo before beating Nashville and Washington with a AHL goalie.
I don't know if they make the playoffs or not. But its good to see that they haven't quit on anything. Going to go down fighting if they do miss the playoffs.
They definitely need to find a way to win some road games against some good teams coming up.

kudymen

Hakstok was a fascist clique hiver lickballs.gif
Jun 18, 2011
Atlanta (Decatur)
Caps facebook page:

Fire alarm in the Caps hotel at 130am......Nothing suspicious about that. Classic Philly.

:laugh:

bb12

Aug 21, 2014
USA
2nd pp STINKS

Raffl needs to take Schenns spot on PP1

Schenn goes to PP2, hopefully Kimmo comes back and replaces any D on that PP2 except MDZ.

I think we see the most success from our 1st PP because Simmonds. He creats screens and a lot of trouble in front. The only comparable guy on our team is Vdv. Yes he doesnt score like a PP player but he creates caos in front. I'd give him a try there since that PP os so bad

Kimmo - MDZ
Vdv in front of net - Raffl and Coots on the half walls working the puck central.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
2nd pp STINKS

Raffl needs to take Schenns spot on PP1

Schenn goes to PP2, hopefully Kimmo comes back and replaces any D on that PP2 except MDZ.

I think we see the most success from our 1st PP because Simmonds. He creats screens and a lot of trouble in front. The only comparable guy on our team is Vdv. Yes he doesnt score like a PP player but he creates caos in front. I'd give him a try there since that PP os so bad

Kimmo - MDZ
Vdv in front of net - Raffl and Coots on the half walls working the puck central.

I don't think you can mess with a top 3 powerplay..

The 2nd unit is just doomed. Plain and simple. Maybe when Timonen comes back he could work the point with MDZ and get something going?

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I don't understand why Berube doesn't want to pair MacDonald with Streit. They work so well together.
Let Coburn and Del Zotto stay together and pair Timonen with Schenn.

We could have three well balanced pairings.

You forgot Nick Schultz.

Replace MacDonald with Schultz and we look even better.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Two things I have been advocating for since before this season started:

Pairing MDZ with Coburn and splitting up Giroux and Snake.

:pats self on back:

All seriousness, wouldn't the top 9 look even better if Schenn replaced Read with Couturier and Simmonds and Laughton replaced Schenn as 3rd line center? Then you get Rinaldo out of the lineup and have two scoring lines and two checking/energy lines.

Raffl-Giroux-Simmonds
Schenn-Couturier-Voracek
Umberger-Laughton-Read
VandeVelde-Bellemare-White

Funf

Sep 17, 2013
Philadelphia

All seriousness, wouldn't the top 9 look even better if Schenn replaced Read with Couturier and Simmonds and Laughton replaced Schenn as 3rd line center? Then you get Rinaldo out of the lineup and have two scoring lines and two checking/energy lines.

Raffl-Giroux-Simmonds
Schenn-Couturier-Voracek
Umberger-Laughton-Read

I agree, but it makes too much sense for Berube.

We also won two games with our current lineup, which will probably prevent any changes for another 20 games or so.

bb12

Aug 21, 2014
USA
I don't think you can mess with a top 3 powerplay..

The 2nd unit is just doomed. Plain and simple. Maybe when Timonen comes back he could work the point with MDZ and get something going?

I agree in general id just like to see Raffl getting PP time but also, i dont really think the swap Schenn and Raffl would change much if anything at all. Schenn isnt exactly putting up numbers on the pp, just doing his job by creating traffic in front, space for Streit and G and creating chances off no option slot shots. Raffl already has the chemistry with G and Jake from their line and now he plays with Simmons so there is some love too.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Read has had a very disappointing year, and Schenn has been less than satisfying since we still have no idea where he fits. Coburn though, he should be better. He has been inconsistent all year and his offense seems even more non-existent than usual.

But so far, my award for Most Disappointing Player thus far goes to MacDonald. Holy crap the guy has plummeted off a cliff. Remember when we first got him and he could move the puck and show some offensive presence? Well, that's long gone and now he's far worse than I can ever remember seeing him in NY.

On the other hand, Voracek has exploded in a big way this year. Raffl has certainly exceeded all expectations, and PEB/VDV have both been pleasant surprises. They've all done much to cover for the crippling performances of Read and MacDonald, in addition to the rest of the dead weight we already knew about.

blinds

Jan 5, 2012

Raffl-Giroux-Simmonds
Schenn-Couturier-Voracek
Umberger-Laughton-Read

Man, that lineup would be fantastic if we had a real top line LW to bump Raffl down to 3rd line LW and Umberger off the team.

Edit: Hell, we'd probably look better if that top line LW was Hartnell.

Fire Tortorella

Formerly Flyersfan1406
Apr 2, 2010
PA
Is there any team that actually has an effective 2nd PP unit? I feel like that's something every team complains about, in addition to the back up goaltender thing.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Man, that lineup would be fantastic if we had a real top line LW to bump Raffl down to 3rd line LW and Umberger off the team.

Edit: Hell, we'd probably look better if that top line LW was Hartnell.

That's the dream!

Raffl-Laughton-Read (if he gets it together) would be a very solid checking line and free up Couturier to be more aggresive offensively and get better zone starts.

I would have to think that Hextalls plans for the next few years involve finding a top line LW to replace Raffl/Schenn so that they can move down the lineup and have less responsibility. I could very well be achieved through the draft if we land a guy like Timo Meier or Pavel Zacha. If not, it could just be an under-the-radar UFA.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Is there any team that actually has an effective 2nd PP unit? I feel like that's something every team complains about, in addition to the back up goaltender thing.

Where's Appleyard at when ya need him?

:handclap:

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I agree in general id just like to see Raffl getting PP time but also, i dont really think the swap Schenn and Raffl would change much if anything at all. Schenn isnt exactly putting up numbers on the pp, just doing his job by creating traffic in front, space for Streit and G and creating chances off no option slot shots. Raffl already has the chemistry with G and Jake from their line and now he plays with Simmons so there is some love too.

I'm not completely against the idea but I wouldn't do it while the unit is clicking.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA

The Flyers have used the likes of Lecavalier, Umberger, MacDonald, Schultz, etc. on their second unit this year combined with guys like Read, Couturier, Del Zotto, etc. who aren't really top notch PP players. I don't think many teams can match that type of suckage.

The Flyers had a pretty decent second unit during the 2011-2012 season when we had a somewhat deep team.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Read had a slow start due to injury but he's a much better fit with Couts than Schenn, who doesn't like playing wing and couldn't score with G & V.

Ideally, they move Schenn for a legitimate winger after the season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad