Post-Game Talk: #6| Pittsburgh Penguins @ New York Islanders | May 26th | 6:30 PM | F/W 5-3

crasherino

May 9, 2013
Pageau is struggling enough on his own that putting Zajac on his wing would trouble me. However much Dal Colle couldn't put the puck in the ocean from the beach, he skates better than Zajac and has been better along the boards than Zajac has shown. I also don't like playing Zajac out of position.

That being said I expect Zajac to be the next forward out of the press box. He's a vet who wass brought here as depth, and as one of the Devils posters pointed out here Zajac has good career numbers against the Penguins.
I agree with the above. I'd rather MDC but if I had to put money on one, it would be Zajac. I think Trotz wants to get Zajac into a game if he can.

I would also consider putting MDC on Barzy's line and let Zajac center Palmieri and JGP....or put Zajac on Barzy's line and let him take the bulk of the faceoffs.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
I agree with the above. I'd rather MDC but if I had to put money on one, it would be Zajac. I think Trotz wants to get Zajac into a game if he can.

I would also consider putting MDC on Barzy's line and let Zajac center Palmieri and JGP....or put Zajac on Barzy's line and let him take the bulk of the faceoffs.
I really don’t think it’s a good idea to have Zajac and MDC in the same lineup. Especially because Leo has been doing the board work to get Barzal the puck, as well as the little things that have been irritating Sidney in this series.

But your point about the extra center is a valid one. I noticed a few times Trotz putting an extra center (usually Pageau) out for some D zone faceoffs when Cizikas’ line was out there then getting the extra off the ice for Martin or Clutter after the draw.

GrandmaSlices51631

Dec 12, 2013
Long Beach
Its funny in that the taunt "JARR- Y...." isn't that different than "VAR-LY" (Clap) (Clap) VAR-LY...." Its just the intent and tone. So why would one be uplifting and one be off putting? I guess like most things - its what you make of it.

You answered that yourself. Intent & Tone.

Context is so important. If we want to throw them both off they can chant DUMM-Y.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
My take is Teams always seem to bounce back bigger when they lose a lopsided score rather than a close score, I don't want to jinx anything. But I see a scenario where the Isles will be fully invested ending this Wed night. I don't think we will see the aame Isles team we saw last night.

I really hope not, we need better.

Are we just assuming Wally is out or has something been announced that I missed?

We're assuming. He looked concussed to me, but I'm not a professional in the medical field.

Makes a lot of sense however, Pittsburgh is fast, relatively speaking.

I thought Zajacs North-South movement was pedestrian.

He is good along the walls and can pot a goal, we know that. I would just say I think MDC is the better forechecker, Zajac seemed to still be adjusting to the rigors of Trotz system. MDC is trained to forecheck and while he isn't Speedy Gonzalez, covers a lot of ice when he is defending and doesn't miss defensive assignments.

I think he'd be a better fit for a clinching game at home to push the Pens back on their heels as he buzzes around their zone using his range to force them to get rid of the puck.

It'll be really interesting. Zajac can take faceoffs and PK, but I agree that Dal Colle is a known commodity as far as the system and forecheck are concerned.

Its funny in that the taunt "JARR- Y...." isn't that different than "VAR-LY" (Clap) (Clap) VAR-LY...." Its just the intent and tone. So why would one be uplifting and one be off putting? I guess like most things - its what you make of it.

Guys who have a name that is similar to "boo" have the best scenario because everything sounds like they're just saying your name.

Reactions: SI90

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Makes a lot of sense however, Pittsburgh is fast, relatively speaking.

I thought Zajacs North-South movement was pedestrian.

He is good along the walls and can pot a goal, we know that. I would just say I think MDC is the better forechecker, Zajac seemed to still be adjusting to the rigors of Trotz system. MDC is trained to forecheck and while he isn't Speedy Gonzalez, covers a lot of ice when he is defending and doesn't miss defensive assignments.

I think he'd be a better fit for a clinching game at home to push the Pens back on their heels as he buzzes around their zone using his range to force them to get rid of the puck.
I get what you are saying, I only worry where are the goals coming from when you have MDC and Uncle Leo in your top 9. I don't see MDC being a better option than Leo. PK, hits, D play all favour Leo. With Zajac in, I like to play the odds he may do a Palmieri and give us a goal Wednesday. But I do get what you are saying in terms of forechecking and comfort of being a winger that MDC brings.

SI

Feb 16, 2013
Zajac is the next man up. His experience and he is the stronger hockey player over MDC and Ross Johnston.
  • Palmieri - Pageau - Zajac is the way I think they'll line up.

Reactions: Thrasymachus

Mr Misunderstood

Loser Point User
Apr 11, 2016
Charlotte, NC
How many times a game does mayfield do something like this? Lol

That same guy is tied for 2nd in playoff +/- lol

upload_2021-5-25_12-39-14.png

Reactions: TMI

Axel574

Dec 9, 2015
I'd like to try Pager-Barzal-Bailey Left side is dead and Eberle is just not cutting it.

Also, take Mayfield out and put coburn in...I'd say hickey, but I think he'd get pushed around too much
Lmfao at this... Are you for real? Mayfield has been shutting down Crosby when Sullivan has been trying to get that matchup and Eberle has two huge goals. Yeah.

Big L

Grandpa’s Cough Medicine is 180 Proof
Feb 7, 2013
CT
What a half-assed call of Bailey’s goal
All those calls are terrible. Could possibly be worse than the Buffalo radio announcers.

And I thought their call on baileys goal was f***ing hilarious.

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
How many times a game does mayfield do something like this? Lol

Can you find the videos of the Amazing Dobson at the point holding the puck with his head down and shooting it into the opposing player gaining on him? He is awful.

Mayfield has his flaws, but he's squaring out that crease against some of those Pens giving Sorokin looks on shots.

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
Lets hope we actually play hard. We should not have won last night

Hopefully its a better effort than that game 6 in 2016. I remember being shocked how they did not show up that night. I think the Cappy/Gallant factor was part of it. I remember Ferraro giving Gallant a ton of props after that game given how young the Panthers were that he was able to get them on the road to play such a spirited game after that terrible OT loss in game 5. I felt given how inexperienced they were that they'd fold in game 6.

Mr Misunderstood

Loser Point User
Apr 11, 2016
Charlotte, NC
Can you find the videos of the Amazing Dobson at the point holding the puck with his head down and shooting it into the opposing player gaining on him? He is awful.

I still can't believe he was standing flat footed and shot a wrister from the point on the PP and expected it to work.

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
I still can't believe he was standing flat footed and shot a wrister from the point on the PP and expected it to work.
He's a former 1st rounder, the next Peterangelo, a 'steal', so he's immune from any criticism, but my lord, he's a disaster at the point on moving the puck on the PP. He's also terrible at passing out of the D-zone, which leads to overpassing an Islander player and fighting for the puck in the neutral zone killing the outbound transition.

He gets some of the 'he's learning benefit' but he's kinda mediocre overall. He's the perfect example of 'let the youth play' and right now, Johnny Boychuk would be a welcome addition vs. dealing with Dobson and his meh play.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland

Mayfield has his flaws, but he's squaring out that crease against some of those Pens giving Sorokin looks on shots.

You’re comparing a veteran defenseman to a 21 year old playing his first full season. Yikes. Also, the defense as a whole besides Pelech has been underwhelming.

Mayfield has been a mess. The best thing about him is he’s contributed a bit on offense. I’d prefer my defensive dman be better on defense.

Weird how triggered you got over my post. If you’re related to or in love with Mayfield I’m sorry if I offended you.

Reactions: MJF

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
He's a former 1st rounder, the next Peterangelo, a 'steal', so he's immune from any criticism, but my lord, he's a disaster at the point on moving the puck on the PP. He's also terrible at passing out of the D-zone, which leads to overpassing an Islander player and fighting for the puck in the neutral zone killing the outbound transition.

He gets some of the 'he's learning benefit' but he's kinda mediocre overall. He's the perfect example of 'let the youth play' and right now, Johnny Boychuk would be a welcome addition vs. dealing with Dobson and his meh play.

I’m a huge Dobson fan. But this criticism is warranted. Especially about his failure to get the puck by forwards while on the point.

But, I am comforted by the fact that Pelech (who I was high on too) looked even worse when starting out… Pelech was also slightly older than Dobson to.

Also, since it was brought up above. Would like to see Ryan Graves acquired to pair opposite of Dobson next year.

Last edited:

Mr Misunderstood

Loser Point User
Apr 11, 2016
Charlotte, NC

I'm with you, he's been bad. Although the promise is still there because he looks like a completely different player than the one we saw before the bout with COVID.

I just hope this isn't a sign of what is to come.

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
You’re comparing a veteran defenseman to a 21 year old playing his first full season. Yikes. Also, the defense as a whole besides Pelech has been underwhelming.

Mayfield has been a mess. The best thing about him is he’s contributed a bit on offense. I’d prefer my defensive dman be better on defense.

Weird how triggered you got over my post. If you’re related to or in love with Mayfield I’m sorry if I offended you.
I'm comparing how fans nit pick the crap out of Mayfield's play, yet the coach plays him in all critical situations, so he accepts a certain amount of issues that are offset against his benefits. At some point, someone mentioned Mayfield is playing so much because he's a righty and Trotz is forced to play him.

No one is complaining about Dobson who has been an actual mess all over the ice even in those critical situations on the PP. He's overwhelmed. Hence, why I said a nice veteran like Boychuk puts Dobson at 9 mins a game or in the press box.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013

I like Dobson on the PP, I think he'll excel there eventually. Out of our defensemen he's probably the best or second best option, which isn't good in general. He's quick and can get his shot on net, he's also shown agility and the ability to escape trouble, his first pass is also pretty good. The problem has been that all of things he does well have only happened in the regular season so far, he's struggled with the Penguins forecheck and doesn't look confident out there at all. Greene gets picked on a bit for being old and slow, but that guy is a gamer and knows exactly what his job in and where he wants to move the puck each time he has it. He's covering for a lot of other players' mistakes, Dobson the main one.

People talk about Dobson's elite skating ability and compare him to Leddy, I just don't see that at all. He moves well enough, but he doesn't have straight ahead speed. He needs to bulk up and be able to handle battling in the corners better and boxing guys out up front, plus get more reps, then he'll be fine. I don't see a future #1 there though.

Reactions: CupHolders

crasherino

May 9, 2013

I hear ya on rather having a vet like Boychuk. Unfortunately, we rely on Dobson as being one of our "puck movers" - something that Boychuk was pretty much ill equipped to do even when healthy. I have faith that he'll improve (hopefully over the course of these playoffs, not just his career) but right now, we are barely getting by with him out there. His struggles are compounded when Leddy and Pulock are having a tough series so far as well.

Man, this team would look a lot different with Devon Toews and Anders Lee out there. I'm sure a lot of teams can play that game, but I don't really care about the rest of them.....

Reactions: beach and Big L

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad