Post-Game Talk: #6| Pittsburgh Penguins @ New York Islanders | May 26th | 6:30 PM | F/W 5-3

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
For those who are angered by Barzal for not chasing down that missed pass, if you noticed there weren't very many Isles who actually passed the blue line in the 3rd.

Everything was quick changes, so I don't hammer him too hard on that.

That was a huge mistake though in a closeout game. He would've easily gotten to that puck first and allowed a full change (if necessary). Instead, he threw his head up in disappointment and allowed the icing call. Can't have those kinds of mental lapses in the playoffs.

MYIslanders

Oct 4, 2014
The facts are showing they haven't made it out of the first round in three consecutive years. Is this like the Leafs are good team argument?

Never said they were garbage, just that they are declining. They came into the playoffs knowing their goaltending was a weakness and did not address it. I did say their opponents were garbage at the end of the season - that's just the way the schedule landed. They benefited from it and the false belief it would carry over when they played a non-garbage team.
To be fair, the isles knocked them out of the playoffs both of the past two years...The pens went through some struggles during the season just like every other team. The garbage teams they beat late in the season are the same garbage teams the isles lost to late in the season.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
I've never been a fan of JT (by the way, don't mention that name on this board, if you want to live), and even less so after the way he left here.

I loved the old Jets, with Hull, Nillson and Hedburg.

Yeah, Maurice wasn't my favourite coach, but he wasn't my least favourite either.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Nice. I'm sure we can relate on a number of points (except Tavares of course, I'll never let that go). I'm old as well. Glory days for me were the Jets and the WHA. Three championships (AVCO Cup) in 7 years. I'm sure we can both agree as well, on the 'qualities' of Paul Maurice as a coach. oof
I've never been a fan of JT (by the way, don't mention that name on this board, if you want to live), and even less so after the way he left here.

I loved the old Jets, with Hull, Nillson and Hedburg.

Yeah, Maurice wasn't my favourite coach, but he wasn't my least favourite either.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Pens have been ousted in the first round 3 years in a row. Absent a miracle from Hextall...the slow builder...and Burke...ascending or descending rapidly, the Pens are going backwards. I mentioned it before the series started, PIT pounced on garbage teams the last 1.5 months of the season to rocket up the standings only to hit real competition with the Isles. They had a false sense of how good they were. Carter was shockingly good though in the series. The Caps and Pens eras are fading away.
That’s the kind of performance that gets coaches fired. Just sayin....

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Sorry to Isles fans - no intent to hijack your board, but I had to get the background on a Leafs AND Isles fan. Seems legit, but must have been hard to reconcile the rancour and hostility between the two fan bases in the past three years. Go Isles Go
It's a lot safer being a Leafs fan here than it is being an Isles fan on the Leafs board!

Reactions: slurpee addict

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
To be fair, the isles knocked them out of the playoffs both of the past two years...The pens went through some struggles during the season just like every other team. The garbage teams they beat late in the season are the same garbage teams the isles lost to late in the season.
...and when it counted, who won?

DVon Du Nord

Apr 30, 2012
Kildare, IE
What a series from Beavillier and that line. Beau killed the Penguins with his speed all series it was only a matter of time before they broke through like they did in Game 6. Jarry had one mental lapse and didn't come up with any big saves for the Pens when they needed it like Sorokin did for the Isles. That said contrary to popular belief, Jarry is far from the only reason the Islanders won this series. Penguins scored fewer than 3 goals in 3 out of 6 games, you don't win too many games scoring 1 or 2 goals in the NHL.

Pulock and Pelech absolutely shut down the Crosby line and deserve a lot of credit here, but the Pens had the occasional answer with favourable matchups for Malkin and Carter. Mayfield himself had a quietly good series and was one of the few guys withstanding the hard Penguins forecheck to create breakouts in Game 5. Speaking of Game 5 Jarry almost single handedly shut down the Islanders forecheck with his puck handling. Lucky for us he had a mental lapse 80 minutes into the game and tried to go up the middle. Have to think this gave us a little extra room to work in Game 6 with Jarry handling the puck much less.

Bottom line, Islanders got key saves in big moments (Excluding Varlamov), Sorokin absolutely stole Game 5, Line 2 picked up the scoring slack and the Islanders defence prevailed.

Big L

Grandpa’s Cough Medicine is 180 Proof
Feb 7, 2013
CT
Just for accuracy, they knocked them out this year and three years ago, not the past 2 years.

Reactions: MYIslanders

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
Still think this was an inside job. Penguins controlled most of the play in most of the games. Rask isn't going to be as nice as Jarry. Isles need to find that next gear. I'm not drinking the Koolaid...they aren't playing their best hockey yet. Trotz needs to get them there fast. Bruins are healthy and not the same team we slapped around earlier in the season.

Reactions: YoureMyBoyLou

RWWallpaper

Mar 9, 2006
Sidney Crosby
Last 10 playoff games vs. Isles
1 goal
2 assists
3 points

...but yeah, Goaltending was the only issue for them..:laugh:

Reactions: PK Cronin

Ad

Upcoming events