Post-Game Talk: #6| Pittsburgh Penguins @ New York Islanders | May 26th | 6:30 PM | F/W 5-3

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
So who’s in for Wahlly? I’m assuming Zajac or MDC because I can’t see Barry going to Sosa for a playoff game.
I would have to think it will be Zajac, he was brought in for playoff depth. He is the best option to replace offence and his experience is valuable. MDC only has 1 goal this year. Zajac 8. He also plays the Penguins well historically. He could slot in at Center and move Pageau to right wing, or just put him on the right wing. I don't see a problem with this if they practice today. When Canada ices a team for the Olympics, they have centers playing wing due to the plethora of Centers we have. Heck Bergeron played on Crosby's right side. Going Center to wing is easier than wing to Center IMO. I think it's Zajac if Wally can't go.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
So who’s in for Wahlly? I’m assuming Zajac or MDC because I can’t see Barry going to Sosa for a playoff game.
Pageau is struggling enough on his own that putting Zajac on his wing would trouble me. However much Dal Colle couldn't put the puck in the ocean from the beach, he skates better than Zajac and has been better along the boards than Zajac has shown. I also don't like playing Zajac out of position.

That being said I expect Zajac to be the next forward out of the press box. He's a vet who wass brought here as depth, and as one of the Devils posters pointed out here Zajac has good career numbers against the Penguins.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
I would have to think it will be Zajac, he was brought in for playoff depth. He is the best option to replace offence and his experience is valuable. MDC only has 1 goal this year. Zajac 8. He also plays the Penguins well historically. He could slot in at Center and move Pageau to right wing, or just put him on the right wing. I don't see a problem with this if they practice today. When Canada ices a team for the Olympics, they have centers playing wing due to the plethora of Centers we have. Heck Bergeron played on Crosby's right side. Going Center to wing is easier than wing to Center IMO. I think it's Zajac if Wally can't go.
Maybe Pager playing as a LW will spur his game. Palmieri and Pageau have been underwhelming since Game 1.

Chardo

Apr 27, 2007
Maybe Pager playing as a LW will spur his game. Palmieri and Pageau have been underwhelming since Game 1.
Pageau is struggling enough on his own that putting Zajac on his wing would trouble me. However much Dal Colle couldn't put the puck in the ocean from the beach, he skates better than Zajac and has been better along the boards than Zajac has shown. I also don't like playing Zajac out of position.

That being said I expect Zajac to be the next forward out of the press box. He's a vet who wass brought here as depth, and as one of the Devils posters pointed out here Zajac has good career numbers against the Penguins.
Pageau assisted on the tying goal, was not scored against, led the team in hits, led the forwards in TOI, and was second to Cizikas in faceoff wins.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Pageau assisted on the tying goal, was not scored against, led the team in hits, led the forwards in TOI, and was second to Cizikas in faceoff wins.
There was a big drop down from Cizikas to Pageau when I last looked at the 2nd intermission. He was down around 33%. For a while Pager was getting murdered in the face off circle. I guess he won some more as the 3rd per and OT went along.

Pageau is a case of the statistics vs eye test. I don't think his line has brought much at 5v5 since Game 1. They've been matched up mostly against Zucker-Malkin-Kapanen and I just don't see where they've been able to break through since Malkin went back into the lineup in Game 2. The best thing I can say about Pager's line is they aren't giving up many high danger chances.

Suffolkbull3

Apr 27, 2016
sorokin will one day be in the hof. theres just something about him. he oozes confidence, rock solid mindset, his reflexes are quicker than a cat. i know varly is really good as well, but it is now sorokin time. he will be very very good for a very long time.

that was such a painful game to watch. the islanders were just getting totally dominated in every aspecr of the game. how they came out of that game with a win is beyond me.

i really hope they bring their A game tomorrow. I dont think they can play any worse than they did last night.

i also have to say that i was killing eberle in a previous post and hes been very very good since i posted about him shttng the bed.

lets get this one and send the pens packing!! no better feeling then sending crosby malkin and letang home for the year!!!! LFG!!!!

steveat

Jun 4, 2011
I'd like to try Pager-Barzal-Bailey Left side is dead and Eberle is just not cutting it.

Also, take Mayfield out and put coburn in...I'd say hickey, but I think he'd get pushed around too much

Tres Peleches

Johnny Turncoat
Jul 13, 2011
Hopefully between Jarry’s horrible miscue and the inevitable “JAR-RY” chants at the Coliseum we can get in his head early

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Boston would be tough, but how nice would it be to send Cindy and the rest of those punchable faced a-holes home two years in a row? :nod:

It was two years ago we beat them, last year they didn't qualify because they lost to Montreal.

If Wahlstrom is hurt who would replace him? Zajac? The problem is Wahlstrom is the one player who consistently tries to put the puck on net. That is why our second and third lines have been carrying the offense.

I assume it's Zajac.

Trotz is 100% right, need all players coming out firing their A games Wed. Last night's win was better than a blow out win from the perspective teams usually play well after a blow out their next game. A tough loss like last night, The Pens will be down, Isles need to pounce on that at home in front of their home crowd and close out the series. Don't want to go back to Pittsburg. Knowing the Isles, they will be much better than game 5. This should be their best game of the series. Sorokin is calm, relaxed, and is clearly enjoying the moment. The team has confidence in front of him. Just play your best game, and what ever happens, happens, that's all one can ask for.

I don't think the Penguins will be down, I think they'll be angry and bringing the same intensity as they did to start most of the games this series.

WangMustGo

Mar 31, 2008
Long Island
Sorokin is gonna put on another show and close the door with his first playoff shutout. Hes going to turn alot of heads the rest of the way.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Hopefully between Jarry’s horrible miscue and the inevitable “JAR-RY” chants at the Coliseum we can get in his head early

I'd be really interested to hear an NHL goalie's perspective about the effectiveness of the chants. I just can't see anyone really giving a shit.

Reactions: Big L

Tres Peleches

Johnny Turncoat
Jul 13, 2011
I'd be really interested to hear an NHL goalie's perspective about the effectiveness of the chants. I just can't see anyone really giving a shit.
I feel like, of any player in any sport, goalies are the most prone to “getting in their own heads”

They definitely hear the chants, and I can’t imagine they’re immune to it

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
It was two years ago we beat them, last year they didn't qualify because they lost to Montreal.

I assume it's Zajac.

I don't think the Penguins will be down, I think they'll be angry and bringing the same intensity as they did to start most of the games this series.
My take is Teams always seem to bounce back bigger when they lose a lopsided score rather than a close score, I don't want to jinx anything. But I see a scenario where the Isles will be fully invested ending this Wed night. I don't think we will see the aame Isles team we saw last night.

Satan'sIsland81

Feb 9, 2007
I'd like to try Pager-Barzal-Bailey Left side is dead and Eberle is just not cutting it.

Also, take Mayfield out and put coburn in...I'd say hickey, but I think he'd get pushed around too much
Huh?? Actually huh x 3 ????All I’m gonna do is laugh this time. Otherwise I’ll get banned.

Reactions: Axel574

GrandmaSlices51631

Dec 12, 2013
Long Beach

Makes a lot of sense however, Pittsburgh is fast, relatively speaking.

I thought Zajacs North-South movement was pedestrian.

He is good along the walls and can pot a goal, we know that. I would just say I think MDC is the better forechecker, Zajac seemed to still be adjusting to the rigors of Trotz system. MDC is trained to forecheck and while he isn't Speedy Gonzalez, covers a lot of ice when he is defending and doesn't miss defensive assignments.

I think he'd be a better fit for a clinching game at home to push the Pens back on their heels as he buzzes around their zone using his range to force them to get rid of the puck.

Reactions: PK Cronin and MJF

crasherino

May 9, 2013
Its funny in that the taunt "JARR- Y...." isn't that different than "VAR-LY" (Clap) (Clap) VAR-LY...." Its just the intent and tone. So why would one be uplifting and one be off putting? I guess like most things - its what you make of it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad