Post-Game Talk: 6 Bells and a loss in St-Louis for the Habs

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
We lost, oh well, on to the next one. In other news, the Leafs lost their 4th in a row and Edmonton with two of the best players in the league are a tire fire and we don't have anything on the roster that compares to those two teams.
Govt to call an inquiry to the Leafs 4 game losing streak!! Gino Reda on suicide watch....Kypreos hospitalized with panic attacks....
Can you imagine the Oilers tire fire, if McJesus ever says he wants out!!

FloJack

Lurking and liking.
Sponsor
Sep 6, 2006
I’m not loving the Newhook pick. He’s great in open ice when he can put on his afterburners but the second he’s in traffic he’s useless. Also his passes are way off. Not sure what’s needed to bring him back to his Boston college Vancouver giants production and potential.
It took ten plus games for Dach to start looking better last season too, so I am still holding out hope for Newhook as it's early and he's on a new team. Didn't help that the Plan A for him went out the window with Dach's knee in the second game of the season.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
It took ten plus games for Dach to start looking better last season too, so I am still holding out hope for Newhook as it's early and he's on a new team. Didn't help that the Plan A for him went out the window with Dach's knee in the second game of the season.

You'd think it was a given that we'd be inclined to wait more than 10 games before deciding Newhook's future impact lol

Crazy how impatient some are.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
The most penalized team in the league didn't take a penalty, had 4 pps and still lost.

You gotta start looking at Burrows and have agreed to not renew his contract.
I had to stop watching. I got totally pissed when there were no adjustments on the PP. Slaf playing well should have been bumped Matheson and Anderson playing ill should have been dumped. 5 guys with no reps together could have done a better job. I was not and am not amused. The lack of execution on basic plays is not acceptable at this level.

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002
Matheson has been garbage for a few games now and it seem his solution is to try crazy shit instead of going back to basics. Bold strategy Cotton.

matheson-shines-iihf-worlds.jpg

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
I also think the Joe Thornton and Owen Nolan turned out alright. Damn, I wish Slaf would hit and fight like Nolan.
Thornton was playing ~8:00 minutes per game in his first season. I can't find the TOI for Nolan, but it was probably similar. Slaf was avg 12:13 minutes last year.

The Real Timo

Jun 18, 2019
Matheson has been garbage for a few games now and it seem his solution is to try crazy shit instead of going back to basics. Bold strategy Cotton.

matheson-shines-iihf-worlds.jpg
Lol... I got the reference :D

Wouldn't it be coach's job to help him? Asking for a friend. Goes back to my "I don't know what these coaches actually do with the players/team".

MilesNewton

Jul 7, 2019
Lol... I got the reference :D

Wouldn't it be coach's job to help him? Asking for a friend. Goes back to my "I don't know what these coaches actually do with the players/team".
Probably need the players to listen, has he ever played a full season without injury?

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
That list is pointless without the TOIs.

The problem is NHL did not keep track of TOI in the 80ies-90ies. Excluding dmen for obvious reasons here's the list of the top 10 less productive forwards drafted first overall during their 50 first games and their TOI during their first season (doing the 50 games for the TOI was too much work for a sunday morning)

1990 Owen Nolan 6 points in 50 games, TOI unknown
1997 Joe Thornton 7 points in 50 games TOI of 8:05
2022 Juraj Slafkovsky 12 points in 50 games TOI of 12:13
1998 Vincent Lecavalier 17 points in 50 games TOI of 13:28
2020 Alexis Lafrenière 18 points in 50 games TOI of 13:53
1986 Joe Murphy 18 points in 50 games TOI unknown
2019 Jack Hughes 20 points in 50 games TOI of 15:52
2008 Steven Stamkos 20 points in 50 games TOI of 14:56
1999 Patrik Stefan 21 points in 50 games TOI of 14:49
1980 Doug Wickenheiser 24 points in 50 games TOI unknown

In this list only Stefan and Wickenheiser were really bad players. Lafrenière despite what most fans think the jury is still out imo. It's dangerous to conclude anything before the player is 23 which will be next year for AL (Kotkaniemi is 23 this season).

Joe Murphy was a disappointing 1st overall but he was still a good player and it was a weak draft. The best player of that draft (Brian Leetch) was drafted 9th overall and the 2nd best player (Damphousse) 6th overall. The whole top 5 missed and Murphy was probably the best in the top 5.

Nolan, Thornton, Lecavalier and Stamkos all had pretty good career and unless the sky falls or anything so will jack Hughes. People are panicking way too quickly. When he'll be getting close to 23 will be the time to panic and we are 3 years away from that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad