Post-Game Talk: 6-5 loss (7 game losing streak) bringin on the heartbreak

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
So Eakins was clearly the problem with this team..... Also how does anyone care who we selected in the shootout. We were up 5-2 with less then 21 minutes left in the game. The game never should have got to that point in the first place!!

Lock

Apr 5, 2008
Guys, I need a hug, I feel like my childhood team has been destroyed and will never get better. These last 5 years have been so humiliating, you can't even find anything to cheer for.

Have you considered whiskey?

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Thanks. How do you still cheer for them? Tell me how you do it.

I just consider it a comedy slapstick routine and carry on. The wife and I are at the point where we just laugh at the Oilers play usually.

Another approach is to pretend that they are the Washington Generals and are supposed to be losing every night.

sawchuk1971

Jun 16, 2011
Well it is so nice that we can find a way to lose this game. Although the tripping penalty on Ference was horse **** as they come. Why no icing call? well lets give all the breaks to Dallas. Perron gets run and no call on the way to the bench.
We are always a save short. Drew Remenda only gushes about the opposition players. His knowledge of actual hockey went when he lost the rest of his hair. This is how it goes with Drew If Edmonton hems in the other team..."they are breaking out slowy" if it is Edmonton "the other team is applying tremendous pressure" that was on a 2 d to d passes and out . How this clown got the job amazes me...
i miss drew from the sharks broadcasts......

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
If it's the play that I'm thinking about, I remember Seguin going in for a hit on hall, but Hall shouldered it off and it ended up with Seguin falling on his ass.
I watched the Stars feed. That was their assessment of the play as well.
Best hit of the game was Benn on Petry behind the Oilers net - just before the Stars scored.

NewBoysClub97*

All-Star
Jun 1, 2012
Vancouver
It's crazy that even up 5-2 my buddy and I said they could easily blow it lol. It's not even like some reverse psychology. We knew they could blow a 5-2 lead.

Epoh

Nov 22, 2014
So Eakins was clearly the problem with this team..... Also how does anyone care who we selected in the shootout. We were up 5-2 with less then 21 minutes left in the game. The game never should have got to that point in the first place!!

I don't really care, but it is just another mistake we can chalk up on the board and at this point Oiler fans are entitled to complain and scrutinize every decision by coaching and management. So, ya I'm gonna ***** about the decision even if that game should've been nowhere near overtime/SO

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
Lets be clear here too. Sequins coming out year here is going to be more spectacular than anything Hall has come close to doing. I mean we're talking the top producer in the league now.
Surprised to see you post this with so much confidence. We'll see how long it lasts - Seguins heroics I mean.
Stars broadcast threw up a graphic showing Hall still ahead in career points despite having played way fewer games.

Epoh

Nov 22, 2014
Surprised to see you post this with so much confidence. We'll see how long it lasts - Seguins heroics I mean.
Stars broadcast threw up a graphic showing Hall still ahead in career points despite having played way fewer games.

I don't think anybody can deny that Seguin is MUCH more comfortable with handling the puck, passing it and shooting it ACCURATELY. Hall has the speed, physicality, and powerful shot, but nowhere near the vision or hands of Seguin. I don't see Taylor Hall doing as well as Seguin playing with Jamie Benn in all honesty, so ya we may have lost out, but what ticks me off is how stupid people are to focus on that decision. Who cares, they're both good players and although I wanted Seguin at the draft I don't blame management for that decision at all, we've got bigger fish to fry with this team like the same management who chose to blow every 2nd round pick we've ever made outside of Petry and Marincin, who are either leaving or being benched/sent down despite good play.

Last edited:

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
I don't think anybody can deny that Seguin is MUCH more comfortable with handling the puck, passing it and shooting it ACCURATELY. Hall has the speed and powerful shot, but nowhere near the vision of Seguin. I don't see Taylor Hall doing as well as Seguin playing with Jamie Benn in all honesty.
I never got into the Taylor vs Tyler wars and I'm not going to start now.
Seguin is a fine player and I already posted earlier in this thread how impressed I was with the way him and Benn (and Spezza too I guess) took over the third period.
Honestly this team needs Benn more than it needs Seguin.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking

You think this is a mirage?

Lets be clear here. Hall was the slightly better player at draft and carried that through the first while getting huge primo minutes and offensive zone starts and ample PP time. Boston conversely being loaded with weapons has more of a bit role in line for Seguin, less toi, less stellar assignments, and less opportunity to pad pts in meaningless games when the club is 3-4 goals behind.

Look its no shame on Hall being second to Sequin in value, and there is no doubt at this point, Sequin is proving himself to be one of the better players in the whole league.

One player continued to develop. With Hall you still see facets of rookie season play. In fairness that could have a lot to do with the team he is playing for.

I do wonder ftr if the situation was reversed if it wouldn't be Seguin struggling and Hall off to the Allstar game.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
I don't think anybody can deny that Seguin is MUCH more comfortable with handling the puck, passing it and shooting it ACCURATELY. Hall has the speed, physicality, and powerful shot, but nowhere near the vision or hands of Seguin. I don't see Taylor Hall doing as well as Seguin playing with Jamie Benn in all honesty, so ya we may have lost out, but what ticks me off is how stupid people are to focus on that decision. Who cares, they're both good players and although I wanted Seguin at the draft I don't blame management for that decision at all, we've got bigger fish to fry with this team like the same management who chose to blow every 2nd round pick we've ever made outside of Petry and Marincin, who are either leaving or being benched/sent down despite good play.

By Halls own statements last night its shocking how he himself is calling it.

In regards to himself Hall is stating "Its good to learn I can score in this league again" a statement he made with no tongue in cheek, and regarding Sequin that the player is so dangerous all the time.

Hall himself would have a much better opinion of Seguins play. Its a little sad reading it. I kind of worry about Hall getting frustrated not just with team but questioning his own ability.

Epoh

Nov 22, 2014

Lets be clear here. Hall was the slightly better player at draft and carried that through the first while getting huge primo minutes and offensive zone starts and ample PP time. Boston conversely being loaded with weapons has more of a bit role in line for Seguin, less toi, less stellar assignments, and less opportunity to pad pts in meaningless games when the club is 3-4 goals behind.

Look its no shame on Hall being second to Sequin in value, and there is no doubt at this point, Sequin is proving himself to be one of the better players in the whole league.

One player continued to develop. With Hall you still see facets of rookie season play. In fairness that could have a lot to do with the team he is playing for.

I do wonder ftr if the situation was reversed if it wouldn't be Seguin struggling and Hall off to the Allstar game.

I actually give Hall the edge in attitude, could you imagine if Seguin (who has been complaining on dallas about ALL of their losses) played for the Oilers in our losing culture? I think there's a much greater chance we would've destroyed his career than what we have with hall. That said Hall would've fit better on boston and gotten more minues than Seguin did imo, because he played wing and we all know how deep boston is at centre.

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
Not a mirage. But also not sustainable.

In other words, Seguin was brought along reasonably, while Hall was asked to carry the ********* team in the league on his back.

For a twenty game stretch. With a specimen like Benn playing on his line. Lets give him Eberle and Perron and see how well he does.

"Could"? I don't think there can be any doubt that Hall would be among the best players in the league if he were on a team that had some centers. Or some defense. Or some goaltending. Or some coaching.

Epoh

Nov 22, 2014
By Halls own statements last night its shocking how he himself is calling it.

In regards to himself Hall is stating "Its good to learn I can score in this league again" a statement he made with no tongue in cheek, and regarding Sequin that the player is so dangerous all the time.

Hall himself would have a much better opinion of Seguins play. Its a little sad reading it. I kind of worry about Hall getting frustrated not just with team but questioning his own ability.

I really don't think Hall feels much fire towards Seguin at all, he understands the team he plays for and how it's effecting his play and that its unfair to make the comparison BUT you may be right about it seeping into his game. I mean yes, your team sucks but when you stop producing on a pace you've been doing since you were 5 years old, of course those thoughts seep in.

Epoh

Nov 22, 2014

In other words, Seguin was brought along reasonably, while Hall was asked to carry the ********* team in the league on his back.

For a twenty game stretch. With a specimen like Benn playing on his line. Lets give him Eberle and Perron and see how well he does.

"Could"? I don't think there can be any doubt that Hall would be among the best players in the league if he were on a team that had some centers. Or some defense. Or some goaltending. Or some coaching.

At this point I'm not even looking at points, I'm looking at skillset alone, just watch their play, Seguin is clearly the more 'talented' player with the puck, he's got a pure snipe better than eberle's accuracy by a mile and can still play physical, fast and is a great passer. Throw points out hte window and Seguin is the better player.

If you go back and look at the stats though... Jamie Benn isn't even a point per game this year, and Seguin is well beyond that claerly.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking

Most comments fair, and agreed with. But really if Hopkins and Eberle haven't been enough for Hall to succeed then as I stated we are truly rooked. checkmated as it were.

In anycase its never a complete known. Sequin handled the Bruins rejection with outstanding resolve and bounceback that is really quite incredible. All the credit to him.

Epoh

Nov 22, 2014
Most comments fair, and agreed with. But really if Hopkins and Eberle haven't been enough for Hall to succeed then as I stated we are truly rooked. checkmated as it were.

In anycase its never a complete known. Sequin handled the Bruins rejection with outstanding resolve and bounceback that is really quite incredible. All the credit to him.

There's a lot of reasons were checkmated, even if Ebs and RNH put in 70 pt seasons with defensive accountability, which they won't we still have big issues.

I think a huge part of Seguin's success has been a fire to prove Boston wrong and that they made a mistake trading him. All of those rumors about him partying may be true but if he dominates on the ice he can silence the critics. It'll be interesting to see how Boston builds around him and Benn in the future since they're both young.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad