Post-Game Talk: 6-5 loss (7 game losing streak) bringin on the heartbreak

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
The constant laying down beside the net on the PK crap has to stop. Just saw Dallas's 3rd goal for the first time now. So ridiculous how the man just lays down for Spezza to saucer a pass over him. Didn't Friedman say on HNIC like 2 months ago that every single team in the NHL was making note that we do that way too quickly and adjusting to it accordingly? Nelson better end that crap right away.

That play is another Eakins special meant for the AHL where people can't make the play Spezza made. Just like the swarm where players in the AHL have a hard time dealing with the extra coverage while high skill NHLers eat that crap for breakfast and feed the slot with the leftovers.

Kepler 186f

Red Shifted
Dec 17, 2007
The fact that Nelson called a time out immediately in what I recognized as a ****show moment speaks volumes. I'm more confident that this team now has some direction behind the bench. But panic is panic and its what occurred. A great moment I already cited was Gordon taking the bout and punches from a tough hombre on behalf of the team. That was a message that he wasn't going to back off. A great standup performance that didn't get credit from a player worthy of it that shows everybody else what it takes to win at this level.

But theres so few players on this team that arent' intimidated. AS sson as Dallas dialed it up we were missing in action in puck battle and standing up. Suddenly Stars were allowed to swarm our crease.

Nelson is going to have to stitch balls on some of these guys. But I suspect he'll confront that as well unlike Eakins.

Hemsky is the guy who created havoc in front of the net for the tying goal. Hemsky! Mull that one over for a bit.

This team. :facepalm:

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Hemsky is the guy who created havoc in front of the net for the tying goal. Hemsky! Mull that one over for a bit.

This team. :facepalm:

At least Perron nailed Hemsky earlier with a pretty good hit that floored Ales. That was at the moment the Oiler were playing with swagger which completely evaporated.

Who didn't feel the result was at risk? At no moment after the 5-2 score did I feel this one was in the bag. The immediate shift corrected any confusion around that. :amazed:

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
The game within a game.

Not sure if anybody posted on it. But score is 5-2 (or possibly 4-2, my memory could be off) and its a 4 on 4 situation. The Oilers, who had been playing well, aggressive, and taking it to the Stars suddenly panicked on that shift. It was so deplorable a shift that the Stars nearly scored several times on the shift and with the Oilers completely in tatters and running around. Afairc the forwards on the ice on that shift were Nuge and Hall.

Dallas didn't score on that shift but it was the turning point of the game. A moment of futility so obvious that Nelson immediately called a timeout (good move, he recognized it as well) but by that time the blood was already in the water and all that was left to do was the circling.

So on a night where Hall tried to bounce back against his arch nemesis (and I think this is somewhat in his head) Seguin on a shift in the 2nd just drills Taylor Hall. I mean just completely levels him. Hall didn't even bother to respond or react. He took it. Fortunately for Oilers viewers the hit was just off camera and barely mentioned on the telecast.

Seen on the bench after is Sequin viewing this all and a look on his face that says. "no way we're losing a game to these pretenders."

Meanwhile Remenda, who is limited in what he can say is saying things throughout the telecast about Sequins conditioning, build, and that he has done everything as a pro to be the best possible athlete he can be.

While we'e stuck with a bunch of pansies that again cowered in this game.

With apologies to guys like Gordon who ate won for the team and had to engage in a fight nobody on this team would have wanted to take on (except Hendricks)

Other than that a team of ******* that outright folded as soon as the Stars put the big boy pants on.
Remember last April when Hall, Eberle and Nugent-Hopkins decided to skip the World Championships. This board was split on whether this was a very good idea or not. Some of us thought it was a terrible decision and we questioned how much these guys loved playing hockey. Others defended this move saying it was a good thing because it would give them an opportunity to work out and get ready for the upcoming season. Which of these scenarios looks the most likely right now?

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Remember last April when Hall, Eberle and Nugent-Hopkins decided to skip the World Championships. This board was split on whether this was a very good idea or not. Some of us thought it was a terrible decision and we questioned how much these guys loved playing hockey. Others defended this move saying it was a good thing because it would give them an opportunity to work out and get ready for the upcoming season. Which of these scenarios looks the most likely right now?

Well, we know what I think. :laugh:

good call

It is interesting how much a players resolve can change when a drafting team decides to go a different way. Bruins have now done this with a number of players through the years. its amazing actually how good that team usually is given the allstars they've sent packing. Sequin looks bound and determined to prove any detractors in the hockey world wrong. Stars would have a worse record than us without his impact. Dallas is a hard team to figure out though.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
cant a discerning guru like you see how in 3 games we look to be a better team? By that time Nelson will have cleansed the boys of your boy-toy Eakins/Acton et al. Better times ahead I am afraid and that means no MaDavid. We actually have a coach that knows how to make us a team. Gordon and the guys deserve it. Been a tough go so far. I am choosing to be positive . Maybe its just the whole Christmas thing but I am liking what I am seeing .
I think any forward progress this team had made since Eakins was fired was lost in the final 22 minutes last night. Blowing a big league was something this team has been doing a lot of under Eakins. All the same problems this team had under the previous coach were exposed last night. They're not any better, they are the exact same team with the same awful players.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
The game within a game.

Not sure if anybody posted on it. But score is 5-2 (or possibly 4-2, my memory could be off) and its a 4 on 4 situation. The Oilers, who had been playing well, aggressive, and taking it to the Stars suddenly panicked on that shift. It was so deplorable a shift that the Stars nearly scored several times on the shift and with the Oilers completely in tatters and running around. Afairc the forwards on the ice on that shift were Nuge and Hall.

Dallas didn't score on that shift but it was the turning point of the game. A moment of futility so obvious that Nelson immediately called a timeout (good move, he recognized it as well) but by that time the blood was already in the water and all that was left to do was the circling.

So on a night where Hall tried to bounce back against his arch nemesis (and I think this is somewhat in his head) Seguin on a shift in the 2nd just drills Taylor Hall. I mean just completely levels him. Hall didn't even bother to respond or react. He took it. Fortunately for Oilers viewers the hit was just off camera and barely mentioned on the telecast.

Seen on the bench after is Sequin viewing this all and a look on his face that says. "no way we're losing a game to these pretenders."

Meanwhile Remenda, who is limited in what he can say is saying things throughout the telecast about Sequins conditioning, build, and that he has done everything as a pro to be the best possible athlete he can be.

While we'e stuck with a bunch of pansies that again cowered in this game.

With apologies to guys like Gordon who ate won for the team and had to engage in a fight nobody on this team would have wanted to take on (except Hendricks)

Other than that a team of ******* that outright folded as soon as the Stars put the big boy pants on.

Nuge and Purcell actually. Hall has been playing center 4v4. Never out there with Nuge. I remember the shift though, it wasn't good. I'm also curious about the hit where Hall apparently got leveled by Seguin. I don't recall it. And Seguin isn't credited with a hit on Hall in the game. So not sure it actually happened tbh.

Regarding Seguin, I think what Remenda was saying in regards to Seguin was about his past in Boston and the suggestion that he hadn't been taking things seriously there to be a professional hockey player. It had nothing to do with the Oilers or their young guys.

Seguin is an amazing example of what you don't do if you are the Oilers. Which is move a guy like Hall out. Because you almost assuredly aren't going to get adequate value out and Hall will likely excel elsewhere.

Kepler 186f

Red Shifted
Dec 17, 2007
Nuge and Purcell actually. Hall has been playing center 4v4. Never out there with Nuge. I remember the shift though, it wasn't good.

Regarding Seguin, I think what Remenda was saying in regards to Seguin was about his past in Boston and the suggestion that he hadn't been taking things seriously there to be a professional hockey player. It had nothing to do with the Oilers or their young guys.

Seguin is an amazing example of what you don't do if you are the Oilers. Which is move a guy like Hall out. Because you almost assuredly aren't going to get adequate value out and Hall will likely excel elsewhere.

That's for sure. Moving Hall for multiple pieces would be the stupidest thing this gang of morons have ever done.

kickaction

Dec 4, 2014
Nuge and Purcell actually. Hall has been playing center 4v4. Never out there with Nuge. I remember the shift though, it wasn't good. I'm also curious about the hit where Hall apparently got leveled by Seguin. I don't recall it. And Seguin isn't credited with a hit on Hall in the game. So not sure it actually happened tbh.

If it's the play that I'm thinking about, I remember Seguin going in for a hit on hall, but Hall shouldered it off and it ended up with Seguin falling on his ass.

Lock

Apr 5, 2008

You've....seen the Edmonton Oilers right?

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
You've....seen the Edmonton Oilers right?

What do you mean?

Anyways, I probably should have clarified. Hall will continue to excel elsewhere. He's already a star in this league, even with his poor 15 game or so stretch.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking

The shift charts have it as Nuge, Eberle, Fayne, Klefbom. I know the time because its the first shift after the Yakupov/Demers matching penalty.

Maybe the chart is wrong? Wouldn't be the first time.

I never even mentioned moving Hall out. Not sure what that was about.

We're stuck now. Sequin would've been better which is indelible by now.

The only good thing is Dallas isn't in our conference and so the abject comparison isn't so regularly in our face. But it seems as if Sequin has a chip on his shoulder still regarding the 1st overall and a mission to prove the Bruins and everybody wrong.

He's certainly succeeded wildly.

Lock

Apr 5, 2008
What do you mean?

Anyways, I probably should have clarified. Hall will continue to excel elsewhere. He's already a star in this league, even with his poor 15 game or so stretch.

I guess what I meant was everyone who leaves tends to be better elsewhere.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
What do you mean?

Yeah. But tbh its somewhat troubling that Halls play was so bad people were stating a lot that it was due to injury. Seems more motivational than anything as I had suggested. Simply a player that mopes around and brings it when he cares to. Theres no way Hall was adversely limited last night and he obviously wanted to try to have a big game in this one.

I like Hall, and this is a player usually committed but I worried what would happen to him after we ditched Gagner. What message would resonate with Hall after that.

lets be real here. The only reason Hall would feel attached to this org is with fellow players he has relationships with. We removed one of those. Without even consideration of it apparently.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
The shift charts have it as Nuge, Eberle, Fayne, Klefbom. I know the time because its the first shift after the Yakupov/Demers matching penalty.

Maybe the chart is wrong? Wouldn't be the first time.

I never even mentioned moving Hall out. Not sure what that was about.

We're stuck now. Sequin would've been better which is indelible by now.

The only good thing is Dallas isn't in our conference and so the abject comparison isn't so regularly in our face. But it seems as if Sequin has a chip on his shoulder still regarding the 1st overall and a mission to prove the Bruins and everybody wrong.

He's certainly succeeded wildly.

Eberle was on for the first 40 seconds, he changed and then Purcell was out there for well over a minute. Nuge had almost a two minute shift. As I said, Hall has been playing center 4v4. He wasn't on the ice. You were mistaken.

For the first time in his career Seguin looks like the clear better than Hall. For about 2 months.... 5 years after they were drafted. Seguin would've been better? That's easily debatable even with Seguin being on top of the scoring charts right now, considering Hall had been way better, or equal every year prior and Seguin was afforded the benefit of breaking into the league on the Stanley Cup champs and has been able to play with a point per game player in Benn in Dallas.

Hall has never been afforded such luxuries.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
As an aside and without getting into the Seguin/Hall debate any further... both are elite players, the Oilers would have been correct in selecting either of them, even now.

There is some sort of crazy cosmic injustice going on when the top two scorers in the league are

1. Voracek, selected 1 spot after Gagner
2. Seguin, selected 1 spot after Hall

It's like no matter how bad it gets here, there is always something that you can point at that makes it sting just a little bit more. Twists that knife just a quarter of an inch further.

We must have really pissed off the hockey gods damned badly at some point. It's crazy. "You think losing 18 of 19 sucks, wait until you take a look at this..."

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Eberle was on for the first 40 seconds, he changed and then Purcell was out there for well over a minute. Nuge had almost a two minute shift. As I said, Hall has been playing center 4v4. He wasn't on the ice. You were mistaken.

For the first time in his career Seguin looks like the clear better than Hall. For about 2 months.... 5 years after they were drafted. Seguin would've been better? That's easily debatable even with Seguin being on top of the scoring charts right now, considering Hall had been way better, or equal every year prior and Seguin was afforded the benefit of breaking into the league on the Stanley Cup champs and has been able to play with a point per game player in Benn in Dallas.

Hall has never been afforded such luxuries.

Can't agree whatsoever. Hall has had every confidence bestowed by the org. Sequin got unceremoniously yanked from his drafting team and with ample suggestions that he didn't mount up to their standards. That's a hard thing to endure too to any player.

So Sequin gets to play with Benn and Hall has always played with RNH, Eberle. That's a disadvantage? If so this team is entirely ****ed.

Hall has had a charmed life and with very little expectation to improve. As such he's kind of stagnated at times to a player that is content being somewhere just under a ppg instead of just dominating.

Lets be clear here too. Sequins coming out year here is going to be more spectacular than anything Hall has come close to doing.

I mean we're talking the top producer in the league now.

No shame for Hall in the comparison but it just sucks anyway.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
As an aside and without getting into the Seguin/Hall debate any further... both are elite players, the Oilers would have been correct in selecting either of them, even now.

There is some sort of crazy cosmic injustice going on when the top two scorers in the league are

It's like no matter how bad it gets here, there is always something that you can point at that makes it sting just a little bit more. Twists that knife just a quarter of an inch further.

We must have really pissed off the hockey gods damned badly at some point. It's crazy

haha

posted the same general theme in the same minute..:amazed:

agree totally with everything you stated.

Crobby

Sep 14, 2009

We must have really pissed off the hockey gods damned badly at some point. It's crazy. "You think losing 18 of 19 sucks, wait until you take a look at this..."

It really is amazing how everytime something bad happens to us: bad trade/signing, unlucky injury, bad drafting, bad development, poor player decisions by the coach, poor coaching choices by management, terrible game losing goal with .3 seconds left, terrible penalty that costs us a game, brutal lead blown in the last minute, a player holding out for a trade, a player refusing a trade here, etc etc ...I always think, "wow...this is the worst it can possibly get."

No. It just keeps getting worse.

russ99

Jun 9, 2011
Had we hired a GM (like Jim Nill) after a thorough search and not just bringing a old Oiler in with no experience and brought back an "Oiler family" assistant GM who was so bad at his job in Columbus the fans had a protest match, things could be different.

Had we competence in management after Tambellini, had Krueger gotten an assistant not keyed into the old boy network as he dared to suggest, likely costing him his job, it could be Hall leading the league in scoring.

Lowe set the organization back three years with those nepotastic hires, and of course MacT being swayed by sweet-talking Eakins enough to axe his coach.

0ilerman

The King
Mar 17, 2008
Capital City
It shouldn't be a surprise that this team blew a lead late in a game. They have almost no experience winning, let alone defending a lead against a hard charging and offensively loaded team.
They managed to score 5 in one game. That in itself should be seen as success given what they've shown over the last 2 months

Dec 3, 2005
Vancouver BC
Guys, I need a hug, I feel like my childhood team has been destroyed and will never get better. These last 5 years have been so humiliating, you can't even find anything to cheer for.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad