GDT: 6/24/22 - 8:00PM EDT - Tampa Bay @ Colorado [SCF GAME 5]

Status
Not open for further replies.

U55

Apr 9, 2019
Tampa, Florida
Maybe that's what you should have started with rather than he sucks and is washed up.

And frankly, let's hope he isn't because the returns are in and in a landslide it's Palat stays and Killorn goes this summer if that is at all possible. If only you hadn't blabbed that he's washed up all over HFBoards, better known as the GM's bible.
All of these replies started when I was emotionally invested in a tied stanley cup final game when my team was down 3 games to 1. I barely slept last night.

Reactions: Bartleby

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Toronto is a very dangerous team. They're in a real tough division. If they could make it past that division I think they would be a heavy favorite to win the cup. They have a very good team.
I think the Leafs and TB are the two best teams in the East. The Leafs just haven't gone all-in on defense yet. They will someday.

Reactions: Coopers Gum

justloveleafs

Mar 12, 2021
Paris Ontario
Ledger Jon Cooper over for Keefe, and maybe throw in Vaselevski and Toronto has something but guess what?

Or, as a fan of great great hockey, I can flip over and start going wild for Cooper, Vasi, Hedman, heck just about everyone on Tampa and.....

As Steve Dangle says...... Leafs WINNNNNNNNNN

Cheering for Tampa, is just a huge win for me. I wish I had figured this out in my teens, twenties and thirties...

Just tag on, a bunch of heroes and winners and people who "get It".

Its sooooo cool.

Cannot wait till tomorrow.

I just cannot imagine what it will be like having a game seven.

So far, in my opinion, this is the best Stanley Cup final I have ever seen.

You guys must be just, well, having a very nervous but awesome Saturday.

Ondrej Palat? Guy had his mom and dad AND 80 people in his folks house listening to game five.

I mean, can any of you imagine that? Cause I sure as heck cannot.

80 people hanging on a great guy, a great player, SELECTED, in the SEVENTH fugging round!!!!!!!

I mean, really, does it get any cooler than that?

80 people, at 1 a.m. Hanging out at the Palat house.....

Just beyond cool.

And of course my man, Jon Cooper in describing Palat. which is on n h l dot com. So cool. Says he is so close to Palat.

I bet all the players on the Bolts would jump through a fire for Cooper. I can feel it.

People, this is ...... sooooo cool.

You can tell there is huge respect between the two teams. Not a goon series AT ALL.

Just the two best teams in the NHL. Head to head.

Crazy good.

Last edited:

DarrylshutzSydor

Aug 9, 2007
California
Colorado looks like they are running on fumes. Two fluke goals that Vasi should have had and it was 3-0. Killer is playing great minutes and physical hockey. Colton and Hagel are the answer to Makar. Go Bolts.....

Reactions: Peacefool

BoltzManConstant

Mar 8, 2017
Upper West Side
Of course they are tired too. Just not nearly as tired and banged up as the Lightning are and that includes Vasy, who has to be running on fumes at this point. Right now the Lightning's only advantages are their experience and their will. On paper that probably isn't enough. Fortunately they don't play on paper.

What's your basis for thinking Vasy is tired?

justloveleafs

Mar 12, 2021
Paris Ontario
I just talked to my "hockey" guy...... Course he loves the Avalanche BUT BUT he did admit, this guy Cooper has taught the Bolts how to just play, sinister, casual defence, that is anything but casual.

So, we had a good convo, cause I am Bolts all the way on this.

He said, this coach, Cooper, like I keep telling everyone, is beyond, beyond.

Every guy in a Bolts uni, is aware. And aware of how to hurt the other team.

If the guy is not scoring, he is getting in the way, all game long.

Great example, Cirelli.

By the way, I have not mentioned Kucherov, he is completely RIDIC.

Insane talent and IQ.

Gotta say guys. I would buy tickets for tomorrows game, I am NOT a promoter of the N H L, but I am a promoter of events that you just may never see or witness again.

Kuchervo is like a Roger Federer for me. Just, just well he is just.

Puck to his stick? Lol. Great team, hope Yzerman is still enjoying this, he should. He deserves to.

dbieon12

Vinik-Brisebois-Cooper
Jul 22, 2010
The thing that pissed me off most last night was the play right before the 'Lanche's first goal.

Paul had a strong case that he was going to win that puck and cancel out the icing, they called it, and immediately after the faceoff in the Lightning zone, the 'Lanche score.

Bartleby

I would prefer not to.
Mar 2, 2022
Ocala, FL
What's your basis for thinking Vasy is tired?
Performance.

Yes, he is still stepping up at the big moments for the most part and I expect that he will continue to find a way to do that with (hopefully) just two games to go, but we have never seen this kind of inconsistency from him, particularly at this time of year. We know it's not his ability, we know it's not his focus and we know it's not his will to win or his competitive fire, all of which are something beyond elite. So what else could it be other than fatigue, either mental or physical or both?

dbieon12

Vinik-Brisebois-Cooper
Jul 22, 2010
GJT6VJt.gif

BoltzManConstant

Mar 8, 2017
Upper West Side
Performance.

Yes, he is still stepping up at the big moments for the most part and I expect that he will continue to find a way to do that with (hopefully) just two games to go, but we have never seen this kind of inconsistency from him, particularly at this time of year. We know it's not his ability, we know it's not his focus and we know it's not his will to win or his competitive fire, all of which are something beyond elite. So what else could it be other than fatigue, either mental or physical or both?

More likely that it's just hockey randomness. Goalie performance, even over a long stretch of games, has very high variance, so you see outliers all the time. See e.g. A Hot Goalie Isn’t a Better Goalie

Vasy's had 1.9 GAA in the two prior playoffs, but given his career GAA of 2.5 (RS) and 2.3 (playoffs), those just look like random very good performances. His 2.54 is either basically at his average or somewhat below average (depending on whether you believe playoff performance is sufficiently different for goalies to throw out all the reg season data), but in either case within normal goalie variation.

I mean, I bet if you looked at just a single season for any goalie, and compared their best 25-game stretch to their worst 25-game stretch, you'd see a difference of about a full goal in their GAA over those two time periods. So seeing a spread of 0.64 between this year's playoffs and last year's (both being 20-some game stretches) just doesn't surprise me, hockey's that random.

Reactions: Winnipegger1

Peacefool

Nov 15, 2019
The thing that pissed me off most last night was the play right before the 'Lanche's first goal.

Paul had a strong case that he was going to win that puck and cancel out the icing, they called it, and immediately after the faceoff in the Lightning zone, the 'Lanche score.
yes exactly I also was wondering why it was Icing, Paul was first on puck

Reactions: Winnipegger1

Bartleby

I would prefer not to.
Mar 2, 2022
Ocala, FL
More likely that it's just hockey randomness. Goalie performance, even over a long stretch of games, has very high variance, so you see outliers all the time. See e.g. A Hot Goalie Isn’t a Better Goalie

Vasy's had 1.9 GAA in the two prior playoffs, but given his career GAA of 2.5 (RS) and 2.3 (playoffs), those just look like random very good performances. His 2.54 is either basically at his average or somewhat below average (depending on whether you believe playoff performance is sufficiently different for goalies to throw out all the reg season data), but in either case within normal goalie variation.

I mean, I bet if you looked at just a single season for any goalie, and compared their best 25-game stretch to their worst 25-game stretch, you'd see a difference of about a full goal in their GAA over those two time periods. So seeing a spread of 0.64 between this year's playoffs and last year's (both being 20-some game stretches) just doesn't surprise me, hockey's that random.
If you want to chalk it up to randomness, so be it and that may be exactly what we've been seeing. But I see a goalie whose worst performances have been horrendous in a way we haven't seen before and whose best performances have been great, but not the kind of uber great we've come to expect at this time of year. He's the best in the world at what he does and by all accounts his preparation and regimen are clinical, all of designed to keep him both rested and ready at the same time but no matter how exacting they are, their are limits to the number of times you can go to the well before things start breaking down.

None of it means that he hasn't saved his best for last and I certainly hope he has. A shot at immortality can do that.

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
While he's given up a fair share of softies, Vasi's worst performances have also tended to coincide with our worst puck management, too, which has also cropped up far more often than the past two years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad