GDT: 6/1/21 - 7:30PM EDT - #3CD Tampa Bay @ #1CD Carolina [CDF GAME 2]

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaBolts

Stanley Cup Boat Parades ROCK
Feb 3, 2015
I loved it when Keith Jones on the postgame show said it was "boring hockey"...which means Coop has this team bought into playing whatever style is necessary to win. That's a mature hockey team and they are forcing Carolina out of the prime scoring areas most of the game. Two more like that and Vasy remaining in the chip on his shoulder mode (all the experts keep saying he won't win the Vezina again), and we'll be in good shape. Game 3 will not be dull for sure.

Maelmoor

Apr 20, 2004
Stockholm, Sweden
Really impressed by the defensive effort in this game! Sure Canes won the shots but looking dangerous chances it was even, and when that is the case things look good for us!

Lot of hard work remaining in this series but off to a great start!

Reactions: Peacefool

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Exactly. I literally wasn't worried at all until like 90 seconds left when they finally started getting real chances.

Would it be cocky if I said I immediately shrugged and said "there goes the shutout oh well, they won't complain winning 2-1" and proceeded to watch the next 90 seconds with a heart rate of like 53 because I knew there was no way in hell the Canes were getting lucky twice?

DistantThunderRep

Mar 8, 2018
Would it be cocky if I said I immediately shrugged and said "there goes the shutout oh well, they won't complain winning 2-1" and proceeded to watch the next 90 seconds with a heart rate of like 53 because I knew there was no way in hell the Canes were getting lucky twice?
Yes

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
Shots on goal: 15-32
High danger chances: 9-11

I mean with them pulling the goalie the latter numbers make sense and confirm the eye test. That was a great defensive team effort. Most of their shots have been routine saves for Vasi. It’s so great to see this offensive powerhouse Tampa team now being able to turtle, block and deflect shots and hold a 1-goal lead without panicking.

hollandhouse

Aug 28, 2016
Tampa
I hear you man. My wife is a badass too.

That announcer, she f***ing sucked and would not get off of Carolina's jock.

My ask: just drop "bitch" from the vocab.

My favorite line of hers was when Muzin attempted to get the puck from killorn on the 2 on 1 and he slid on his belly all the way to the corner and killorn has a point blank shot and she gives him credit for his amazing energy and effort on d. If that was high school hockey and of Muzin isn't a start he would be benched. She is clueless and I like female announcers - I don't think she has a carolina bias - i think she is just clueless. Its amazing the "good" announcer shortage in this country

hollandhouse

Aug 28, 2016
Tampa

tenor.gif

This is exactly how they played years ago when they went on deep runs. Remember the Ranger series? This is when they are dominant.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
My favorite line of hers was when Muzin attempted to get the puck from killorn on the 2 on 1 and he slid on his belly all the way to the corner and killorn has a point blank shot and she gives him credit for his amazing energy and effort on d. If that was high school hockey and of Muzin isn't a start he would be benched. She is clueless and I like female announcers - I don't think she has a carolina bias - i think she is just clueless. Its amazing the "good" announcer shortage in this country

You mean Slavin? And it was a good defensive play, he knocked the puck away from Killorn, took away the pass and neutralized the shot..... not sure you want to talk about "clueless" and "bias" while saying he should be benched for that and getting the player name wrong.

Reactions: berlin

hollandhouse

Aug 28, 2016
Tampa
Three things they seem to always get caught up in, which makes me nervous:
  1. The too often have two defenders below the goal line, when it should be max one and a center with the defender in front of the net.
  2. They don't step up at the blue line. They drift back too easily. McDonough has build his career on stepping up at the blue line.
  3. They don't clear the front of the net. I noticed I think McDonough, finally clear the front of the net in the last minute. He drove the guy to the left of the net by about a foot.
With that said you can see their aggressiveness and dominance stepping up in the neutral zone and in the attacking zone. Even though the focus was not shots or scoring chances it was on hustling to break the play up prior to entering our zone. That is a huge difference when the team is clicking - the hustle to disrupt the play and advance the play to the next level.

hollandhouse

Aug 28, 2016
Tampa
You mean Slavin? And it was a good defensive play, he knocked the puck away from Killorn, took away the pass and neutralized the shot..... not sure you want to talk about "clueless" and "bias" while saying he should be benched for that and getting the player name wrong.

He took himself out of the play. I am not here to argue but that is horrendous defensive play. He plays the body the play is over.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
Three things they seem to always get caught up in, which makes me nervous:
  1. The too often have two defenders below the goal line, when it should be max one and a center with the defender in front of the net.
  2. They don't step up at the blue line. They drift back too easily. McDonough has build his career on stepping up at the blue line.
  3. They don't clear the front of the net. I noticed I think McDonough, finally clear the front of the net in the last minute. He drove the guy to the left of the net by about a foot.
With that said you can see their aggressiveness and dominance stepping up in the neutral zone and in the attacking zone. Even though the focus was not shots or scoring chances it was on hustling to break the play up prior to entering our zone. That is a huge difference when the team is clicking - the hustle to disrupt the play and advance the play to the next level.
Futurama-Fry.jpg

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
I loved it when Keith Jones on the postgame show said it was "boring hockey"...which means Coop has this team bought into playing whatever style is necessary to win. That's a mature hockey team and they are forcing Carolina out of the prime scoring areas most of the game. Two more like that and Vasy remaining in the chip on his shoulder mode (all the experts keep saying he won't win the Vezina again), and we'll be in good shape. Game 3 will not be dull for sure.

Screw nbcsn if it was ny vs Boston or Philly they would have been hey this a tight checking playoff game going on here. They've been downplaying and disrespecting this series from the start. They just care about their big markets now that they're done they have their disinterest in Tampa and Southern teams on full display and don't care either way.

Reactions: DaBolts

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
In fairness to Carolina, they have carried the play thru 120 minutes. They're taking some heat but they took it to us prety good in the first 2 games imo. Vasilevskiy is dialed in, could you imagine the same games with Mac in net?

Can't give them any life, would like to see some more offense in game 3 for the dagger.

Up until the last minute, they didn't really take it to us though. They had the puck, but we forced them to the perimeter. It felt like a John Tortorella win.

That said, Canes were legit dangerous in the last minute, and we did get a couple of bounces there. But overall, it looked like we were executing a gameplan -- be patient, keep them on the outside, and capitalize on mistakes.

Also, gotta give Carolina's defense a lot of credit. They got in front of a lot of our shots or forced them wide. It seemed like a pretty even game, but I feel like we executed slightly better.

Reactions: CupsOverCash

Flat Ronnie

Feb 11, 2014
Am I the only one that couldn't stand that game last night? I thought it was completely awful for both teams. Other than the obvious positive that we won, that was one of the most boring/worst playoff games I remember watching two teams play.

Idk, the Lightning are my favorite team and nothing I enjoy more than watching them play, but it doesn't get more suck ass than that lol

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad