5th-Place GDT 1/4 • United States 3, Czech Republic 2 (OT)

Status
Not open for further replies.

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
Sounds like JVR scored a highlight reel goal to win the game in OT.

Nice to see them compete hard this game even though this is the most disappointing finish in awhile.

Yeah, at least they didn't suffer another embarassment.

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
USA Hockey Blogger said:
"Want to know how to end a tournament in style? van Riemsdyk skated around a fallen defender and scored between his legs top shelf."

I disagree. Winning a tournament in style can be accomplished by having a gold medal put around your neck. I'm psyched to see some video of this goal, though. Did he pull a Malik or something?

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
"Want to know how to end a tournament in style? van Riemsdyk skated around a fallen defender and scored between his legs top shelf."

I disagree. Winning a tournament in style can be accomplished by having a gold medal put around your neck. I'm psyched to see some video of this goal, though. Did he pull a Malik or something?

Obviously but that's over. The blogger didn't say "win" either; he said "end." No need to twist words.

SanJoseCanadiens

Aug 16, 2006
I have to say- that's the way to beat a hot goaltender. One of the hottest, smoothest goals I've seen... I've never seen that move performed like that during game time. It was funny- me and my father were like the only two people cheering and raising our hands for the US as they awaited the medals... they kept looking up at us and smiling... it must've felt good- I think it was just about the only time in the tournament they got to hear anyone chearing for them...(any other cheers were drowned out by bad natured canadian boos, jeers, or chearing for the other side)

gnr25

May 22, 2008
Ottawa
It was a sick goal by JVR. He put it between his legs and shot it into the left side of the net. So basically it was a Malik.

SanJoseCanadiens

Aug 16, 2006
yeah, but it was during game time, overtime, and from the side of the net, on a goaltender who had been stoning the US for two straight games...

Ruth is a tough kid- great fight

Unice did make Rolston look silly... he was very good today... I'm sorry- Rolston should never coach for USA hockey again... and should need to work his way backup from a lower position anywhere else... he is not ready to be coaching- and that's putting it nicely... I didn't see anything to suggest Mccolum as a real prospect, but I assume that others must have and that he is- if so, I hope that Rolston's irresponsible decisions haven't turned a bad tournament into a major confidence issue...USA hockey should be excoriated for their decision as well

Polansky

Apr 5, 2007
What a goal by JVR. Malik but while cutting across from the side..and during the game, not a shootout..wow.

Polansky

Apr 5, 2007
Yeah, all I've got is a boxscore but it's starting to look nasty.

Im not sure what Stich actually did, but from the stands it looked like he wouldnt stop trying to fight Ruth, even well after the linesmen where there. But it didnt really look like Ruth tried to stop either so really Im not sure why he got the match penalty.

As for the head shot and misconduct, it wasnt really very big. It was more a shove to the face, during play, it was stupid but not a big deal. And the misconduct is automatically assessed with the head shot penalty. I think if the 10 minute misconduct was discretionary, it wouldnt have been given.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Im not sure what Stich actually did, but from the stands it looked like he wouldnt stop trying to fight Ruth, even well after the linesmen where there. But it didnt really look like Ruth tried to stop either so really Im not sure why he got the match penalty.

As for the head shot and misconduct, it wasnt really very big. It was more a shove to the face, during play, it was stupid but not a big deal. And the misconduct is automatically assessed with the head shot penalty. I think if the 10 minute misconduct was discretionary, it wouldnt have been given.

Whatever Stich did, it looks like Ruth didn't appreciate it:

6b81590d510d92338b834e6f85d0d4d3-getty-82918984rw010_usa_czec.jpg

Chileiceman

Dec 14, 2004
Toronto
yeah, but it was during game time, overtime, and from the side of the net, on a goaltender who had been stoning the US for two straight games...

Ruth is a tough kid- great fight

Unice did make Rolston look silly... he was very good today... I'm sorry- Rolston should never coach for USA hockey again... and should need to work his way backup from a lower position anywhere else... he is not ready to be coaching- and that's putting it nicely... I didn't see anything to suggest Mccolum as a real prospect, but I assume that others must have and that he is- if so, I hope that Rolston's irresponsible decisions haven't turned a bad tournament into a major confidence issue...USA hockey should be excoriated for their decision as well

Mccollum is a beast in the OHL. I don;t know what was wrong with him this tournament.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
The USA hockey blog mentioned Colin Wilson got robbed again. If he would've buried 50% of his quality chances, he'd have a ridiculous amount of goals.

If he'd bury his chances, the Americans may be playing for gold. People railed on JVR for 'not caring' but Colin Wilson is a bigger goat, because Schroeder and JVR have been setting him up the whole tourney.

leafs in five

Feb 4, 2007
engelland
I loved seeing vanRiemsdyk win it like that; after such a disappointing tournament I think you could see it in the players' reactions how much a goal like that to win the game meant to them. Good on JVR for having the stones to try it, too - not like the the standard approach was working on any of their other 30 point-blank chances the last two games. Anyways I was glad to see the two teams play this game hard, the Czechs have some pretty intimidating defencemen, and the whole team showed how much better they are than how they played against Canada.

Fortheloveofthegame

Mar 18, 2008
USA
If he'd bury his chances, the Americans may be playing for gold. People railed on JVR for 'not caring' but Colin Wilson is a bigger goat, because Schroeder and JVR have been setting him up the whole tourney.

Wilson had a ton of scoring opportunities denied, as did both Schroeder and JVR this whole tournament. They just didn't bury, when USA needed it the most. Call it snake-bitten, tightening up because of other shots they were robbed on, too bad but I think all 3 would want alot of shots back!
I also heard at the beginning of the tournament that Wilson had hurt his wrist? He also wasn't taking any face-offs since the 2nd game. Who knows?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad