GDT: #59: Winnipeg Jets @ Atlanta Thrashers

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
After five long years of a mixed up love/hate relationship with Ed Jovanovski, I was sort of hoping for a break from that kind of sick drama for a while. Nope. Three years into Mike Smith, with five more left to go. I'm destined to be a codependent, bipolar Coyotes fan.

PhoPhan

Feb 27, 2002
After five long years of a mixed up love/hate relationship with Ed Jovanovski, I was sort of hoping for a break from that kind of sick drama for a while. Nope. Three years into Mike Smith, with five more left to go. I'm destined to be a codependent, bipolar Coyotes fan.

Get used to it. Samuelsson and Domi sound like more of the same (assuming they even pan out).

middlebrook

Aug 26, 2011
This group doesn't have the balls to be a playoff team.

Smith gets run all night, and we cry and whine to the refs. Anyone make Pavelec's life any harder as a response? Nope. Don't think there was a coyote skate in the crease the entire game.

Klinkhammer comes out like King Kong, gets beat up by Bogosian and our physical play completely disappears for the rest of the game.

Trouba goes after Yandle and Morris just watches.

OEL gets cheapshotted (AGAIN!) and nobody does a goddamned thing (AGAIN!). How do we respond on the resulting power play? We get completely run over by an aggressive PK that gets more good chances on Smith than our passive PP gets on Pavelec.

This group is soft and weak. We need a heart transplant in the worst way.

I couldn't agree more no one sticks up for anyone on this team, we will get run over if we make the playoffs we need more size, grit, and heart for god sakes. I can't handle watching OEL take a cheap hit and no one does anything the whole game to respond back to it. It keeps happening and happening something drastic need to happen or else we're going to be a bubble team for a long time to come. One last thing Moss sucks can't wait to see him off this team

Howler Scores

Mar 13, 2011
Maricopa County
It just seems like its been a common theme that Smith gets interfered with and OEL gets cheap-shots left and right this year. Its possible I am only looking at the small picture but it looks like nothing is being done to protect the higher profile players here.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Pretty sour grapes these days, sorry we lost, but....If we play like we did last night and Smith plays as well as he did, we will make the playoffs...We got a point on the road against a team that played well and had a great performance by their goalie, we missed several posts...Take a step back for a minute and observe last night objectively...

rt

May 13, 2004
Pretty sour grapes these days, sorry we lost, but....If we play like we did last night and Smith plays as well as he did, we will make the playoffs...We got a point on the road against a team that played well and had a great performance by their goalie, we missed several posts...Take a step back for a minute and observe last night objectively...

You aren't asking that the game be observed objectively, you are asking that it be viewed in a vacuum. There aren't 82 one game seasons, there is one 82 game season. The problems on display last night have been reoccurring time and again this season, and there is no reason to believe they won't continue to occur.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
We need an Ott or a player of his ilk who will give other teams pause before taking such liberties with us. Our PP reputation is not that of Detroit so clearly dirty teams, such as the Jets, don't worry too much about being scored upon during their pk when they play us.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
Means 'coaching change' in hockey-speak.

You mean GM change? The GM has the final say on the roster. And don't even bother to tell me about Bissionette. That tiger has been a tiger lily for at least 2 seasons, if not more.

awfulwaffle

Jun 20, 2011
Dallas, TX
One thing I will say about Bizz, he is not the type of player we expect him to be. I feel he has improved his skill on the ice dramatically, and he makes plays on the ice much more than he used to. But when we need someone to back our boys up, he doesn't answer the bell. I miss Torres, because Torres had no problem going after someone, and he has good hockey skill. I might be a Torres homer, but I welcomed him with open arms when he was signed, and I miss him to death. He has 17 goals this year so far on the Sharks, and come playoff time you need a player like Torres on your team.

Sciamachy

Shadow Coyote
Jan 31, 2008
One thing I will say about Bizz, he is not the type of player we expect him to be. I feel he has improved his skill on the ice dramatically, and he makes plays on the ice much more than he used to. But when we need someone to back our boys up, he doesn't answer the bell. I miss Torres, because Torres had no problem going after someone, and he has good hockey skill. I might be a Torres homer, but I welcomed him with open arms when he was signed, and I miss him to death. He has 17 goals this year so far on the Sharks, and come playoff time you need a player like Torres on your team.

He's been injured all year, only played one game so far. Don't disagree with your overall point though. As much as I've always disliked Torres there was no questioning his drive and we could sure use some of what he brings. Be interesting to see how he plays when he comes back for SJ.

awfulwaffle

Jun 20, 2011
Dallas, TX
He's been injured all year, only played one game so far. Don't disagree with your overall point though. As much as I've always disliked Torres there was no questioning his drive and we could sure use some of what he brings. Be interesting to see how he plays when he comes back for SJ.

Hrm, guess the stats I saw were wrong, oops. Or maybe the person scoring the last goal I saw wasn't Torres. :laugh:

Sciamachy

Shadow Coyote
Jan 31, 2008
To be fair yesterday was his first game and he scored twice so he's on pace for more than 17 goals ;)

awfulwaffle

Jun 20, 2011
Dallas, TX
To be fair yesterday was his first game and he scored twice so he's on pace for more than 17 goals ;)

Dang, now I have a reason to watch Sharks games more. I always get Gamecenter, start off watching plenty of games, but then get worn out and really only like to watch Coyotes games.

rt

May 13, 2004

Huh? Bissonnette was not dressed last night.

Also, pretty sure his suspension was for leaving the bench to retaliate against Nolan for a cheapshot on Klesla.

awfulwaffle

Jun 20, 2011
Dallas, TX
Huh? Bissonnette was not dressed last night.

Also, pretty sure his suspension was for leaving the bench to retaliate against Nolan for a cheapshot on Klesla.

I didn't say he played last night.

More often than not, Biz is not what we expect him to be. Yes, he has his moments, but I'm not impressed by what he does compared to why we brought him here.

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
HCanes Bandwagon
:biglaugh:

This group doesn't have the balls to be a playoff team.

Smith gets run all night, and we cry and whine to the refs. Anyone make Pavelec's life any harder as a response? Nope. Don't think there was a coyote skate in the crease the entire game.

Klinkhammer comes out like King Kong, gets beat up by Bogosian and our physical play completely disappears for the rest of the game.

Trouba goes after Yandle and Morris just watches.

OEL gets cheapshotted (AGAIN!) and nobody does a goddamned thing (AGAIN!). How do we respond on the resulting power play? We get completely run over by an aggressive PK that gets more good chances on Smith than our passive PP gets on Pavelec.

This group is soft and weak. We need a heart transplant in the worst way.
Hit the nail on the head. Morris and Yandle led the charge into a couple of those scrums, and that's not a good thing. Klinkhammer and Chipchura and Moss were MIA physically last night.

Paul Maurice teams always play like this, which is why you'd be hard-pressed to name very many of the CAR players he took to the finals. Hard and fast and simple. I'd love to re-watch that game and count/track the neutral zone rushes/transitions, because I remember far too many of WPG's where they weaved with purpose and got the puck through quickly, and far too many of PHX's where we didn't and didn't.
While I understand that we might be upset about the no call on Smith that lead to a goal early on, I'm still pissed off at Smith. I'm sick and tired of his ******** antics when someone bumps into him. I'm assuming opposing teams do it on purpose because he cries like a little ***** when it happens. I blame the players in front of Smith for not standing up enough to the opposition when something happens. But the fact that Smith was trying to punch the Jets player in the head instead of saying alright, I got hit, big ****in deal, I still have to stop the puck since play hasn't stopped.

He is gaining a reputation that isn't good for us. He won't be getting calls because he flops, he whines. Stand in net and stop the ****in puck.

/end rant
Antics? Bufflin a) was in the crease, b) tripped Smith and c) pushed Smith into his own net. We can Zapruder Film the thing to see what percentage of that was Smith being tripped / Smith diving, but either way, it's really hard to explain why that wasn't an interference penalty. When Wheeler shoots, there are 4 bodies between Smith and the puck; Bufflin (who was only just outside the crease), Stone (who was actively shoving him out), Jokinen and Ekman-Larsson (who was shoving Jokinen). Smith never reacted to the shot, so unless you think he was so caught up "in his antics" that he ignored a shot in flight, he never knew Wheeler had it and never saw the puck.

If we're JUST caught up on who was antic-ing the worst, OEL both had his hands up in full "W.T.F?" mode and was skating toward the referee before Smith did either, so let's throw OEL under that bus, not Smith. But I don't want to throw OEL under the bus because OEL wasn't wrong -- it was awful refereeing and there's no other explanation. Go burn your Mike Smith effigies elsewhere.

WJF

Jul 19, 2007
Los Angeles
Why are you so down on Tippet? He turned this franchise around for the better on the ice. I'd like to see what Tippet could do with a higher budget.

Tippet did some good things here. He turned it around, no doubt. But he's been ineffectual over the last season and half. The players are not playing with any heart. Low budget or not, I want to see him get the most out of his players. Aside from Vermette, he's not doing that with anyone these days. Everyone is playing under their potential. This is a serious problem.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad