Post-Game Talk: #59 | Penguins at Flyers | February 25, 2024 | Loss 7-6

mr figgles

Mar 24, 2012
Ok, give Sam 80% of the starts and just play 6 on 5 for the others

I’m 58 and I hate his guts.
Now get the f*** off my lawn!

We could literally write the script.

I'm 65 and I can assure I most definitely will not be saying that. In fact I would trade the 2 cups for a more advanced management philosophy

I'll be 55 before the season ends... SCREW TORTS and this BS HOCKEY TEAM

Present company excluded of course.

• Love
Reactions: BiggE

ponder719

Haute Couturier
Jul 2, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
At this point we should be prepping to have Lycksell and other AHL callups in the lineup every game.
At this point we should have had them in the lineup most of the season. Deslauriers won a single fight, and has provided damn near nothing beyond that. We'd have gotten better minutes out of a restroom stall than Marc Staal. Atkinson's powers left him the second he herniated the disc in his neck. Risto... not much we can do there. Laughton's been on a heater recently, but he's been booty cheeks the rest of the season. The stated plan has been to remake this roster to develop the framework of the next great Flyers team, and ultimately, you need to show your young players that you're willing to consider them as part of that framework.

And yet, here we are.

ybnvs

Mar 20, 2014
I've wanted to see Lycksell in the NHL since TC last year. He has a head for making the smart-but-not-fancy play...I think @Magua coined the term - play connector/play extender. I see him in the same vein. I don't know if he's good enough to stick in the NHL, but IMO he has deserved a 20-game showcase at the end of the year. It's a no-brainer for a rebuilding team...

I've been high on Lycksell since he was playing for Farjestad. I watched a whole lot of his games and received a good bit of the inside scoop of the type of person he is from my good buddy who was his teammate. I admit my bias, but I do believe he is NHL quality middle 6 player (maybe not for the Flyers, though). He will drown playing on the 4th line with Deslaurier and whomever else in that role. He is smart cerebral type player, but not fancy. He is skill type and wants to extend/make plays as you stated. He also likes to play E-W hockey... uh oh... That explains a lot, actually.

He is/was basically the only threat in LHV on their shitty PP. Leads the team in goals despite 15 fewer games than Marody and Tuomaala. He should be given minutes on PP2 at least.

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
I went back and watched the high(?)lights. I can't fault Petersen for goals 1, 2, and 7, but an NHL goaltender has to stop most of the other 4. That is basic positioning. Petersen seems to make himself small on purpose in the net.

Terrible D on the other 3 goals by Staal and then Seeler x2. The first two were just not making much of an effort to nullify your defensive assignment. For 7, if you are going to block your goaltender's view on a long shot, then block it.
I am a little more generous to Petersen. Goals 1 and 2, definitely not his fault deflections, one he stopped but Crosby got the rebound.
Goal 3 - Rust #2, open slot shot screened by the Dman. Stoppable maybe but not easily.
Goal 4 - Bemstrom's shot was deflected by York's stick, knuckleballed and bounced off his stick and under arm. This is not the goalie's fault as had to play the shot where it was originally going.
Goal 5- Horrible turnover by Foerster, York already flying the zone (?), nice pass by Malkin. Hard to blame the goalie for the tough angle shot as he had to look to what else Malkin might do.
Goal 6 - Rakell - this is all on Seeler. Staal chased Crosby and Seeler didn't cover the far post. Poehling was too late. I don't blame Petersen for that one at all, he had to watch Crosby.
Goal 7 - tipped by Farabee and screened by Seeler. Not his fault.

Everyone wants to kill the guy, but you can't let guys like Rust, Foester, Tippett, etc. shoot from the top of the slot, and expect saves every time so you blame him for the 3rd goal, maybe, and the 5th one, but only marginally. Bad turnovers kill you.

Reactions: BernieParent

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
I've been high on Lycksell since he was playing for Farjestad. I watched a whole lot of his games and received a good bit of the inside scoop of the type of person he is from my good buddy who was his teammate. I admit my bias, but I do believe he is NHL quality middle 6 player (maybe not for the Flyers, though). He will drown playing on the 4th line with Deslaurier and whomever else in that role. He is smart cerebral type player, but not fancy. He is skill type and wants to extend/make plays as you stated. He also likes to play E-W hockey... uh oh... That explains a lot, actually.

He is/was basically the only threat in LHV on their shitty PP. Leads the team in goals despite 15 fewer games than Marody and Tuomaala. He should be given minutes on PP2 at least.

The Flyers PP is less tactically complex than the average EIHL PP... it is sickening.

Stuck 10 years in the past. Using players badly for skill-sets. Too static.

Thompson was a good HC in OHL and AHL... but a good head coach does not a PP coach make.

When he was Edmonton Oilers AC years ago? He was the 3rd AC, the guy in the room.
When he was Oklahoma Barons AC in WHL? He was also the eye in the sky.

The ONLY time he has coached PP before as far as I know? The Sharks in 2020-21... where they were 3rd worst in the NHL with 14.1% WITH Brent Burns and Erik Karlsson.

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
I am a little more generous to Petersen. Goals 1 and 2, definitely not his fault deflections, one he stopped but Crosby got the rebound.
Goal 3 - Rust #2, open slot shot screened by the Dman. Stoppable maybe but not easily.
Goal 4 - Bemstrom's shot was deflected by York's stick, knuckleballed and bounced off his stick and under arm. This is not the goalie's fault as had to play the shot where it was originally going.
Goal 5- Horrible turnover by Foerster, York already flying the zone (?), nice pass by Malkin. Hard to blame the goalie for the tough angle shot as he had to look to what else Malkin might do.
Goal 6 - Rakell - this is all on Seeler. Staal chased Crosby and Seeler didn't cover the far post. Poehling was too late. I don't blame Petersen for that one at all, he had to watch Crosby.

Everyone wants to kill the guy, but you can't let guys like Rust, Foester, Tippett, etc. shoot from the top of the slot, and expect saves every time so you blame him for the 3rd goal, maybe, and the 5th one, but only marginally. Bad turnovers kill you.
Thanks for your reply, Larry.

I agree on Goal 1, and actually blame Staal less than an unfortunate bounce that followed Crosby; however, that was also a horrible turnover by Atkinson, who skates back to the net like he has a cinder block between his butt cheeks.

I don't see a significant screen from York on goal 3; he's way out past the hashmarks to challenge Rust. It was a nice shot but maybe a tick above a routine save, kind of a "... and a nice stop by Petersen, ..." non-replay-worthy stop.

You make a good point about York's stick deflecting the puck on goal 4. I just find that Petersen seems so small in squaring up to Bemstrom.

Goal 5 was the worst of them, even though it was a bad turnover resulting in 2 Penguins coming unobstructed towards the net. Petersen can't lose the post like that, especially as there were 3 Flyers in decent defensive position to block Malkin trying to bring the puck into the slot and the high Penguin is out of the picture when the goal goes in so he shouldn't be part of Petersen's calculations.

I agree, too, on your assessment for Goal 6 in general; however, Petersen was inefficient in his post-to-post coverage.

But this is Petersen as advertised. Question to all reading this post: did he make any great to spectacular saves?

Reactions: Larry44

GapToothedWonder

Dec 20, 2013
Paris of the Praries
Isn’t this what has happened to basically every team* Tortorella coaches?

* I know about the cup 20 years ago
Shocking that playing at a playoff intensity for an entire season isn't sustainable.

His teams look good early in the regular season because he is good at getting them to play at 10/10 intensity. He (and the authentics) don't seem to realize that doing isn't really a good thing. This is something all the better coaches in the league understand, you need to have something left in the tank come playoff time.

Reactions: renberg and Nizzle

Flyerfan4life

Jun 9, 2010
Richmond BC, Canada
Shocking that playing at a playoff intensity for an entire season isn't sustainable.

His teams look good early in the regular season because he is good at getting them to play at 10/10 intensity. He (and the authentics) don't seem to realize that doing isn't really a good thing. This is something all the better coaches in the league understand, you need to have something left in the tank come playoff time.
shhhh dont question Emp. Torts..

ps your deadon correct thou..

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
shhhh dont question Emp. Torts..
With Tortorella, the main question that I have with him is what happens after this season? He'll have two years left on his deal. No coach wants to go into a season with one year left on his deal. Is he going to push for an extension or be looking for a seat up in the press box with management? My fear is that he'll want the latter and will be sitting up there trying to puppet master whoever is his successor. Bets there are that it will be Shaw or Sullivan after the Penguins can him following this season when they miss the POs.

Flyerfan4life

Jun 9, 2010
Richmond BC, Canada
With Tortorella, the main question that I have with him is what happens after this season? He'll have two years left on his deal. No coach wants to go into a season with one year left on his deal. Is he going to push for an extension or be looking for a seat up in the press box with management? My fear is that he'll want the latter and will be sitting up there trying to puppet master whoever is his successor. Bets there are that it will be Shaw or Sullivan after the Penguins can him following this season when they miss the POs.
100% hes movin up in power..

and the next coach after him is totaly going to be a Torts Yes man...

Reactions: Audible Velvet

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
58 hmmph......pup.....hmmmph......a dream in someone's eye.

58 and single.......time of my life.......Le Bec Fin for a date, Chateau Frontenac for a weekend, Barcelona for a week. Divorced women with an axe to grind. Absolutely what could you ask for? Oh a SC champion before I die. I guess life could be worse......or better???? Maybe I cannot be satisfied with my life.

BTW........those songs are ~ 58 years old........

There is a fine line between recollections and battle scars, both can be appetizing or upsetting but the key to life is not remain complacent and at least try to create new memories.

Last edited:

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004

Good observation. That is oftentimes a proper summation for those who fault goalies on bad goals and why stats don't always tell the story. Remember, I am one of the few fans who don't say "If the Flyers had a goalie... (fill in the titles)."

Bad goaltending came in doses at inopportune times in the past. A .938 save percentage and a 1.46 GAA for a PO run is excellent as we likely would all agree. You know which Flyers' goalie had that? Wasn't Parent, Lindbergh or Hextall. It was John Vanbiesbrouck the same goalie who allowed few but seemingly almost universally atrocious goals that post-season.

When Hextall was blasted -- and rightfully so in 1997 -- few recall the rustiness that was Kjell Samuelsson leading to a horrendous goal. The breakdowns that lead to goals are sometimes overlooked. Yesterday, Farabee, from what I saw live, botched a clear that led to a goal.

The criticism for Petersen yesterday wasn't so much limited to him. The Flyers did show resiliency at times but that is part of their character. Petersen looked uncomfortable in his positioning, at least to these eyes and that isn't limited to the goals allowed. A few weeks ago, I mentioned (many agreed) that the goaltending of Hart and Ersson was the most stable in years, even more so than Hart and Elliott which was a strength in the recent past. The Hart-Ersson tandem was a comforting duo, almost it didn't matter who started or when. Then as the legal issue with Hart unfolded, Ersson was thrown into a vortex: the number one goalie in the NHL with Petersen now used in the traditional role of back-to-back games. He was exposed yesterday but that can be part of the role of a goalie in the NHL: too much credit when a team wins and too much blame when a team loses.

BackToTheBrierePatch

Nope not today.
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
I usually don’t yell at the TV anymore during a game but yesterday was the exception. I have no idea what Peterson was doing yesterday but he sure as hell wasn’t playing goal. 4 of those goals cannot go in. He is as slow getting over to cover the post as any goalie I have seen. He was infuriating yesterday.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad