Post-Game Talk: #59 | Penguins at Flyers | February 25, 2024 | Loss 7-6

BiggE

SELL THE DAMN TEAM
Jan 4, 2019
Somewhere, FL
Ok, give Sam 80% of the starts and just play 6 on 5 for the others

Just gotta wait for that 5 game winning streak to end the season with the Flyers just missing the playoffs. The 55+ crowd will be telling everyone how great he is, and they are building something special.
I’m 58 and I hate his guts.
Now get the f*** off my lawn!

wankstifier

All glory to the harvest god
Jun 19, 2018
Can’t plan on competing in the playoffs either this year or next without a backup goalie and a functional PP.

Reactions: Ironmanrulez

mr4tno

Oct 13, 2017
Another injury on the blueline justifies no trades at the deadline. Tale as old as time.
We could literally write the script.

Just gotta wait for that 5 game winning streak to end the season with the Flyers just missing the playoffs. The 55+ crowd will be telling everyone how great he is, and they are building something special.
I'm 65 and I can assure I most definitely will not be saying that. In fact I would trade the 2 cups for a more advanced management philosophy

mr4tno

Oct 13, 2017
Tortorella f***ing wit Frost again. He not going to be a star every game especially if he has to constantly look over his shoulder. Couturier and Atkinson have been shit. Very few playing stellar hockey....

• Love
Reactions: Ironmanrulez

FromOyVey2Matvei

Jul 15, 2023
Philadelphia
Can we have that discussion again about what a HOME RUN A++ SLAM DUNK the Provorov trade was?

I’m going to be a glass half full guy: Drysdale is dead, Ersson won’t be able to get out of bed from his upcoming workload, the Flyers won’t trade anyone, but they’ll make the playoffs! Savor it.
I’m willing to have it… I still think it’s a slam dunk.

We still have oodles of cap space to potentially weaponize and take on more bad contracts.

If we need to get off of the contract this offseason to pursue something, it costs us a paltry $1 mil in cap space for 24-25 and $2 mil in 25-26 via a buyout.

I’d like to see Danny find a similar contract to take on this deadline for players/prospects.

As far as Cal’s play goes, it’s atrocious but that’s exactly what was to be expected. He was never supposed to be the backup for a team in the playoff mix. The Flyers were told to prepare to be without Carter Hart from the jump. If Carter Hart hadn’t have essentially played half the year because the NHL never released their report and the police took so long to finally file charges, we wouldn’t be in playoff contention and every start Petersen makes would be helping us to a better lottery pick. I’m also not sure Petersen was ever supposed to start at all, even with the Hart thing. I think they probably expected Fedotov to come over after his sentence in the gulag ended.

Now, if you argument is more that “we should’ve been paid more to take on Petersen”, I think that’s a fair discussion, but Petersen’s play doesn’t really change that calculus. I didn’t see anyone credible indicate he was redeemable. He was just a straight cap dump. We got paid a 2nd and Grans to take on a cap dump contract that amounts to roughly $6 million more over 2 years than LA retained on the Provorov deal. I think that’s a fair price.

If we were to buyout Cal this summer, we would save $1MM and change in 24-25 versus if we just retained on the Provy deal ourselves and then we’d lose $2MM in cap space in 25-26 over if we just retained on Provy ourselves. I think a 2nd + Grans is fair value for that.

I also think keeping the retention slot open had/has some real value.

FromOyVey2Matvei

Jul 15, 2023
Philadelphia
Tortorella f***ing wit Frost again. He not going to be a star every game especially if he has to constantly look over his shoulder. Couturier and Atkinson have been shit. Very few playing stellar hockey....
I thought Frost was horrendous today and he made some real boneheaded plays yesterday too.

I have no issue with him sitting down the stretch in the 3rd. If he’s benched next game entirely, I’d have an issue.

CanadianFlyer88

Knublin' PPs
Feb 12, 2004
Van City
Did a quick watch, mostly of the goals... that was more than enough... goaltending optional.

If Drysdale is out long term, this is more of a reason to fire sale Walker, Seeler, Laughton, Risto, Staal, etc.

... and let's give Petersen 80% of the starts down the stretch. I thought Staal was the tank commander, but we have a generational talent in Cal Petersen.

I'm happy that things are finally breaking for Foerster on the scoresheet. He has the potential to be a long term fan favourite in Philly.

What was up with the ice time for the Frost line? Torts practically double shifted them yesterday and cut their legs out today. :laugh: Cates, Laughton and Poehling on the ice with the empty net while Farabee and Frost got bench rash is hilarious*.

*Note: this was not hilarious.

sauce88

Jul 6, 2011
One thing I've noticed all season, is that the way they play demands alot. The results work themselves out most of the time because compared to last year they are better on the whole.

A younger Coots would have sufficed to have this team play its best. But man it's been hard watching him the last few weeks. He probably has regressed somewhat due to age, but he's exhausted out there, he's no longer the 20 min a night guy, it's just not feasible for how long the season is. The team is going to run out of steam sooner than later.

My worry is if this team gets enough talent to comfortably make the playoffs in the future, this system isn't going to get it done in the playoffs after playing an 82 game season like this. The east is too strong to win a playoff series quickly, and winning a cup with multiple game 7s is too difficult.

Flyerfan4life

Jun 9, 2010
Richmond BC, Canada
One thing I've noticed all season, is that the way they play demands alot. The results work themselves out most of the time because compared to last year they are better on the whole.

A younger Coots would have sufficed to have this team play its best. But man it's been hard watching him the last few weeks. He probably has regressed somewhat due to age, but he's exhausted out there, he's no longer the 20 min a night guy, it's just not feasible for how long the season is. The team is going to run out of steam sooner than later.

My worry is if this team gets enough talent to comfortably make the playoffs in the future, this system isn't going to get it done in the playoffs after playing an 82 game season like this. The east is too strong to win a playoff series quickly, and winning a cup with multiple game 7s is too difficult.
shhhh you cant second guess Emp. Torts..

Reactions: renberg

Nizzle

no hope, no future, no second chance
May 13, 2009

Isn’t this what has happened to basically every team* Tortorella coaches?

* I know about the cup 20 years ago

VladDrag

Feb 6, 2018
I thought Frost was horrendous today and he made some real boneheaded plays yesterday too.

I have no issue with him sitting down the stretch in the 3rd. If he’s benched next game entirely, I’d have an issue.
I don’t think Frost was horrendous, but he wasn’t his best. Against the Rangers he was one of the better forwards imo.

In a vacuum, I don’t mind if anyone player is sat down for a certain period of time during the game. My biggest issue with this has always been a singling out a Frost. Maybe he isn’t a 60 point center I was hoping for (although I would like to see him in a full season without a setting like this), but hes clearly a good middle 6 center, and the second best center on this team.

It just seems like the only way that Frost stays in the lineup is to produce at near a point per game. And once the points stop, the scrutiny comes.

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
I went back and watched the high(?)lights. I can't fault Petersen for goals 1, 2, and 7, but an NHL goaltender has to stop most of the other 4. That is basic positioning. Petersen seems to make himself small on purpose in the net.

Terrible D on the other 3 goals by Staal and then Seeler x2. The first two were just not making much of an effort to nullify your defensive assignment. For 7, if you are going to block your goaltender's view on a long shot, then block it.

Fight4yourRight

“Chuck’s my guy”
Dec 18, 2017
Lycksell with a nice soft touch pass to set up the Flyers 1st goal.

Then he feeds it up nicely to York streaking down into the high slot.

3pts in 6 games.

This guy can play, if given an opportunity and not jerked around like Torts likes/wants to do.

The guy can play.. but also should play with some skilled guys. He won’t show much if he’s saddled with Deslauriers or Hathaway.

Reactions: ybnvs

Danko

You have no marbles
Jul 28, 2004
March schedule at the beginning is busy, they either have to get a backup in place before then or just except you are going to get your ass kicked when Peterson plays.

macleish1974

Crash.....Heart of a Lion
Aug 2, 2005
Florida Swampland
You're a pup.

58 hmmph......pup.....hmmmph......a dream in someone's eye.

58 and single.......time of my life.......Le Bec Fin for a date, Chateau Frontenac for a weekend, Barcelona for a week. Divorced women with an axe to grind. Absolutely what could you ask for? Oh a SC champion before I die. I guess life could be worse......or better???? Maybe I cannot be satisfied with my life.

BTW........those songs are ~ 58 years old........

VladDrag

Feb 6, 2018
Lycksell with a nice soft touch pass to set up the Flyers 1st goal.

Then he feeds it up nicely to York streaking down into the high slot.

3pts in 6 games.

This guy can play, if given an opportunity and not jerked around like Torts likes/wants to do.
I've wanted to see Lycksell in the NHL since TC last year. He has a head for making the smart-but-not-fancy play...I think @Magua coined the term - play connector/play extender. I see him in the same vein. I don't know if he's good enough to stick in the NHL, but IMO he has deserved a 20-game showcase at the end of the year. It's a no-brainer for a rebuilding team...

Danko

You have no marbles
Jul 28, 2004
I've wanted to see Lycksell in the NHL since TC last year. He has a head for making the smart-but-not-fancy play...I think @Magua coined the term - play connector/play extender. I see him in the same vein. I don't know if he's good enough to stick in the NHL, but IMO he has deserved a 20-game showcase at the end of the year. It's a no-brainer for a rebuilding team...

At this point we should be prepping to have Lycksell and other AHL callups in the lineup every game.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $5,220.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $275.00