GDT: #59| Calgary Flames @ New York Islanders | February 6th | 7:00pm | F/L 4-2

MattMartin

Killer Instinct™
Feb 10, 2007
Long Island

Flames_zpsae1401b1.jpg~original

Preview

All time series record: The Islanders lead 44-42-20. Islanders all time @ home vs Flames are 28-17-9

As good as the Calgary Flames have been at home lately, they've had plenty of trouble winning on the road.

The New York Islanders are having the opposite problem.

The Flames can avoid a season-high fifth consecutive road loss by extending the Islanders' skid at Nassau Coliseum to four games Thursday night.

Calgary (21-28-7) totaled 21 goals during its recent 5-0-0 homestand but followed with a 2-0 loss at Montreal on Tuesday. The Flames have lost nine of 11 road games, getting shut out three times, and have not scored more than two goals in the last six.

Calgary's power play ranks near the bottom of the league at 14.1 percent and is 0 for 10 in the last four contests.

While the Flames are tied for the second-fewest road wins in the NHL with nine, New York (22-28-8) has the fewest home victories with eight.

New York has dropped three straight at home, and technically four in a row considering it was recognized as the host during last Wednesday's 2-1 loss to the Rangers at Yankee Stadium.

"We're a desperate team," said coach Jack Capuano, whose club allowed an average of 4.2 non-shootout goals during the five-game slide. "I thought our guys really worked hard right from the start. ... We've been playing hard; we haven't been getting results."

John Tavares' point drought was extended to four games, his worst since a six-game stretch in November 2011. He leads the team with 23 goals but has none in the last seven.

Tavares has three goals and two assists in his last two games against the Flames, but the teams haven't met since Dec. 29, 2011. Calgary has won the last three meetings overall and in Long Island.

Useful links
http://www2.dailyfaceoff.com/

http://www.tsn.ca/

http://www.newsday.com/sports/hockey/islanders/

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/hockey/islanders/

http://www.nypost.com/sports/islanders/islanders.htm

http://islanders.nhl.com/team/app/

http://www.islesinfo.com/main.html

Last edited:

tag0519

Jan 28, 2013
My wife and I will be attending the game tonight. And you can too if you have 6 bucks in your pocket!! NO BOOING VANEK.

As usual nice GDT MattM.

Go Isles!!

DeanCrandall

Jan 29, 2013
Boo away, stop dreaming he will give us a shot in July. He would counter offer right now if he wanted to stay instead of forcing Snow to deal him away before March 5th.

Snow once again has been played the fool, which comes natural for him.

Should start testing other wingers with JT now, forget about any playoffs more dreamers, and use the last 20 games to build on next year. Chemistry is a weird thing and who knows who might shine with JT and Okposo. Juggle the top two lines with players who will actually be here next year, instead of experimenting next October with the Boyes and Bouchards of the league.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
With a loss and a Panthers win, we drop right behind Buffalo and Edmonton.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Yes let's boo a guy that wants to wait to make an extreamly important decision that will affect him and his family.

He came here, he played, and he's been a pro the whole time. Remember he didn't request to be traded here. He has said nothing but great things about the organization and his teammates.

2ndGenIslander

Feb 2, 2012
Nassau
Boo away, stop dreaming he will give us a shot in July. He would counter offer right now if he wanted to stay instead of forcing Snow to deal him away before March 5th.

Snow once again has been played the fool, which comes natural for him.

Should start testing other wingers with JT now, forget about any playoffs more dreamers, and use the last 20 games to build on next year. Chemistry is a weird thing and who knows who might shine with JT and Okposo. Juggle the top two lines with players who will actually be here next year, instead of experimenting next October with the Boyes and Bouchards of the league.

And what will that prove? What will that say to the rest of the players on the team? "Accept our ****** lowball offers or get boo'd out of the arena"? Good example to get into these young 20-something kids heads. Hockey players careers are short and Vanek is looking for the payday that he has worked his whole career for and quite frankly, he deserves. If I was him I would do the exact same thing

enigmatic

Fire me please
Jul 7, 2009
nyc
whoever boos is a real *******.....the guy didnt owe the isles anything, and even though it might be PR says he is still considering us....if he gets booed (which he surely will), it will ruin any chance we have of getting him.....

lets boo vanek (doing nothing wrong), but cheer nabby and visnovsky (who didnt honor their contracts)

2ndGenIslander

Feb 2, 2012
Nassau
whoever boos is a real *******.....the guy didnt owe the isles anything, and even though it might be PR says he is still considering us....if he gets booed (which he surely will), it will ruin any chance we have of getting him.....

lets boo vanek (doing nothing wrong), but cheer nabby and visnovsky (who didnt honor their contracts)

yup, its pathetic how short sighted people are. "What have you done for me lately"

Bunk Moreland

Mar 16, 2010
Long Island
I might be there and like Bones I paid big money!

I got work tonight but I don't know what time I will be getting out, hopefully before the game starts for $5 its a worthy risk.

Bones45

Dec 7, 2005
N/A

Disagree.

Only thing worse than having a fanbase who boos, is having a fanbase who doesn't care. Vanek and mgmt know the reason for the boos. It's understandable. Fans want him to stay.

If I were him -- I'd take it (assuming he even hears it with the 3000 people who will be there tonight) as that the fans want me to stay and they are pissed that I don't want to sign with them.

And I certainly don't think fans booing him due to lack of signing would impact his desire to play on this horrible team in the least.

Now..Ill be there tonight, but won't boo--- b/c frankly I don't care enough. :)

bigd

Jul 27, 2003
@StapeNewsday: Nabokov will be in #Isles net tonight. Awaiting word from Capuano on rest of lineup.
No changes to the forwards, defense is game time decision. I guess he's waiting to see if he needs Carkner in or not. We are playing Boulton why do we need Carkner too?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad