Prospect Info: 58th Joni Ikonen

Intangir

Aug 14, 2008
Montreal, QC
Joni ikonen is out 6 months with a leg injury.

Man, that's rough. He had just turned the corner on the injury bug last year with a really good push to end his season too. I hope he recovers completely and that the injury doesn't hamper his future professional career.

Reactions: Svedu

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
The Habs own his rights for 2 more years, they don't have to sign him till June 2021 so we'll see what kind of season he has next year and go from there. If he plays well enough, maybe he gets signed.

As for the injury, it was first said to be the leg but now it's just lower body injury so I wonder if it's the same knee which if so would be even more concerning but they re-signed Olofsson and he's had like 4 major shoulder injuries so we'll see as i wouldn't write him off just yet.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Sucks for him, but this is why you gotta man up and trade some prospects. Bergevin trades this lemon and maybe we get a good roster player. Obviously Ikonen isn't the only piece going, but still.

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland
Man, that's rough. He had just turned the corner on the injury bug last year with a really good push to end his season too. I hope he recovers completely and that the injury doesn't hamper his future professional career.

It's most definitely hampering his development. Two major leg injuries in two consecutive seasons. That's just not cool.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
It seems like every year there are two or three that go down with major injuries.
On that note, Patrik mentioned that Ikonen's recovery is going as scheduled but he hasn't gone back on the ice yet. Again since the Liiga season finishes in March it's unlikely he returns as his team is out of the playoffs.

Habs should sign him to an AHLC and send him to Laval then. Kid should play this year & would allow the organization to get a good look at him.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Habs should sign him to an AHLC and send him to Laval then. Kid should play this year & would allow the organization to get a good look at him.

I don't think they would do that as with the leg injury it likely means he hasn't been able to skate for months now so to just throw him into the AHL in March as the league gets ready for the playoffs would be a tall order. I would think they would prefer to just let him rest and get ready for off-season training.

I am interested to see where he plays though, I assume he'll be back in Liiga and we have another year before we have to sign him so with Laval likely being very tight for roster space depending on who they sign and re-sign, I would be surprised if they brought him over. Give him one more year and then see if they want to sign him would be my guess.

sharks9

Jan 16, 2012
Canada
With the Ylonen news, is there any chance that Ikonen comes over to NA next year? Sucks that he's been injured so often, but it'd still be good to have a chance to evaluate him on NA ice.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON

It's a much better team than Kalpa so he'll at least be playing with better linemates, which is nice. Getting a full, injury free season under his belt would do him wonders, I hope he gets that in 20-21. It would be nice if the Habs could get a good look a what he can do when he's healthy so they can decide if he's worth a deal or not . For now all they have to base a decison on is about 15 games in the past 2 years.

Last edited:

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
So does he have an out clause after the first year allowing him to sign with us?

That I don't know. But my guess would be that he does. Since Liiga and the NHL have a transfer agreement, it's possible that there is an out clause, particularly since it's a two-year deal.

Reactions: 26Mats

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
So does he have an out clause after the first year allowing him to sign with us?

he won't need one since there is a PTA in place between Finland and the NHL. There's a date you have to sign them by, I never got around to looking it up but we know it's highly unlikely he would be coming over for next season, so we'll see how his season goes and if the Habs are looking to sign him by the deadline or not.

Reactions: 26Mats

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
‘After a couple of difficult seasons a fresh start isn’t so bad’: Joni Ikonen (Ilves)

“Ilves are a really good team and also really good at developing players. It just felt like the right it for me at this stage of my career. After a couple of difficult seasons a fresh start isn’t so bad.”

“I'm really excited to get back and play some hockey.”

“The body feels really good and strong now. I still have some work to do in order to get back into playing shape. But the progress has been as good as I could have hoped for. I could've been on the the ice for sometime already and I am doing some progress there too. But there's still plenty of time for me to get ready for next season.”

Reactions: montreal

Maitz

Aug 3, 2006
Montreal
I still have hope that he will come over but I think all those injuries slowed down his development really bad. He might play in the AHL but I don’t see a lot of NHL potential

donghabs98

Oct 14, 2010
Halifax
I still have hope that he will come over but I think all those injuries slowed down his development really bad. He might play in the AHL but I don’t see a lot of NHL potential
The injuries really hampered his NHL ceiling. Here's hoping he turns it around next season but im not betting on it.

Reactions: Maitz

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad