Prospect Info: 58th Joni Ikonen

angusyoung

The life of..The Party
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
He'll probably be in the AHL in 2020-2021. Might eventually make the Habs as a middle 6 fwd.

Sounds like not that much potential really. Not a lot of spots for him to overtake in the foreseeable future,best to move him in a package that can be utilized sooner than later.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Sounds like not that much potential really. Not a lot of spots for him to overtake in the foreseeable future,best to move him in a package that can be utilized sooner than later.
Middle 6 is plenty of potential. He was ranked our #11 prospect by HFhabs. Wouldn't trade him before his 1st year in NA.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
He went almost a PPG in Liiga this year. His injuries have slown him down quite a bit, but there's top 6 potential in him.

angusyoung

The life of..The Party
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
He went almost a PPG in Liiga this year. His injuries have slown him down quite a bit, but there's top 6 potential in him.

Any idea if he will be in camp come fall? Haven't visually seen him compete with NHL's to see where he stands.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Does this guy have any chance to make the Habs at any time?

it depends on if last year was a more of a fluke as we just don't really know what he is yet. In his first season in Liiga he got off to a terrible start but in the 2nd half he was much better. This year he missed so much time but let was lighting it up and then got injured again. So we need to see how he does this year in a full season, can he stay healthy, has he improved his speed, added mass and strength, can he rip up Liiga over a full season?

Lots of questions that we'll need to see how they are answered.

Any idea if he will be in camp come fall? Haven't visually seen him compete with NHL's to see where he stands.

I doubt it, his team will be playing preseason hockey as their season starts on Sept 13th.

angusyoung

The life of..The Party
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
it depends on if last year was a more of a fluke as we just don't really know what he is yet. In his first season in Liiga he got off to a terrible start but in the 2nd half he was much better. This year he missed so much time but let was lighting it up and then got injured again. So we need to see how he does this year in a full season, can he stay healthy, has he improved his speed, added mass and strength, can he rip up Liiga over a full season?

Lots of questions that we'll need to see how they are answered.

I doubt it, his team will be playing preseason hockey as their season starts on Sept 13th.

Sounds like that so many from the other side of the pond only come here when they are sure fire to make the roster. Similar to Romonov,Olafsson,Ylonen.Is it even possible to properly evaluate a prospect by not competing with potential NHL's?

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Sounds like that so many from the other side of the pond only come here when they are sure fire to make the roster. Similar to Romonov,Olafsson,Ylonen.Is it even possible to properly evaluate a prospect by not competing with potential NHL's?

They just have to watch how they progress in their respective leagues and try to project how they will do as aside from Emelin coming over at 25, most won't be ready to jump into the NHL full time at least if your NHL club has a deeper roster. At least they changed it to 4 years for having to sign Euro draft picks so you get more time.

angusyoung

The life of..The Party
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
They just have to watch how they progress in their respective leagues and try to project how they will do as aside from Emelin coming over at 25, most won't be ready to jump into the NHL full time at least if your NHL club has a deeper roster. At least they changed it to 4 years for having to sign Euro draft picks so you get more time.

So to sum it up,need a keen eye and some good guesses? and a boat load of luck? sounds about right.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
So to sum it up,need a keen eye and some good guesses? and a boat load of luck? sounds about right.

I wouldn't say luck, plus there are other factors like not having a PTA in place with Russia, so you can't just bring a player over if they are under contract over there. Then there's the huge factor of money, this is a business and it's how they make a living, they know they won't make much if they end up in the AHL as the ELC means they are limited to around 70K minus taxes and agents fee. In the Euro leagues if they are good enough, they will get more plus they can get perks. Free housing, cars, etc.. depending on what country and how rich the team is.

So you can see why it's tough, they have the chose, give up a good pay check to make less money but in the hopes you can make the NHL some day where you would very likely make more money then had you stayed. Then there's leaving home to a totally new country and culture, etc.. It's a lot for them I would think.

But it's also why you have scouts, they are over there watching these kids and it's there job to try and project how they would do in the NHL.

Reactions: KotkaSpicy

angusyoung

The life of..The Party
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
I wouldn't say luck, plus there are other factors like not having a PTA in place with Russia, so you can't just bring a player over if they are under contract over there. Then there's the huge factor of money, this is a business and it's how they make a living, they know they won't make much if they end up in the AHL as the ELC means they are limited to around 70K minus taxes and agents fee. In the Euro leagues if they are good enough, they will get more plus they can get perks. Free housing, cars, etc.. depending on what country and how rich the team is.

So you can see why it's tough, they have the chose, give up a good pay check to make less money but in the hopes you can make the NHL some day where you would very likely make more money then had you stayed. Then there's leaving home to a totally new country and culture, etc.. It's a lot for them I would think.

But it's also why you have scouts, they are over there watching these kids and it's there job to try and project how they would do in the NHL.

Kind of sounds like they need to re-negotiate some sort of agreement globally. The way this plays out is you can not properly evaluate a player for some time. I get the coin issue,but not really aware what they earn in those parts.Moving abroad can be daunting,but if with the right family,not so difficult as it was back in the day,and going to NA from Europe is easier than going some places.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Kind of sounds like they need to re-negotiate some sort of agreement globally. The way this plays out is you can not properly evaluate a player for some time. I get the coin issue,but not really aware what they earn in those parts.Moving abroad can be daunting,but if with the right family,not so difficult as it was back in the day,and going to NA from Europe is easier than going some places.

I agree the system needs refinement. I don't like see 19 year old Euros in the AHL, I'd rather see them stay in their respective Euro leagues. I was a big fan of them making the change to 4 years before having to sign Euro draft picks so that's a start. Not saying 19 year old Euro's in the AHL can't work for some but that I'd like to see some kind of adjustment so that you can have the option to develop Euro picks in their Euro leagues without losing their rights for longer, but have the ability to bring them over but loan them back without it counting against your 50 or burn a year off their contract, they should slid like the CHLers do for U-20 and I'd like to see them slid past U-20.

The problem is that it creates a hole on their Euro club so I don't know how that gets fixed. There's the living issue which if Scherbak was speaking the truth, it does seem very odd that a team would tell a player you can't live here or there just don't see how they can do that. Then again we only have one side of the story. Just makes you wonder what is the actual plans for when these guys come over and how they take care of them or not so that they aren't home sick or to lessen it. If you remember the Nygren situation, he took a ton of heat on this board for bad mouthing Hamilton the city saying he didn't feel safe and wanted to go back home. It was a shame as he was doing so well but not everyone can handle moving so far away.

I guess I would need to see the data on Euro players success rate going to the AHL at 19, vs 20, vs 21, etc.. and if they do better staying overseas ala Emelin and Leks, etc.. or do more fair better getting used to the smaller ice in the AHL before going to the NHL. I see that the KHL is moving to having NHL sized rinks, thought that was interesting.

Reactions: Plekatorz

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
No, it's not. It's easier to be almost ppg in 13 games, than during a full season. Maybe it was only a hot start, I doubt he gets 60 points next season.

I wouldn't expect him to be close to 60, or 50 as that would put him among the best scorers in the league. I'd be very happy if he got around 40 pts assuming he plays over 50 games. Last seasons leader had 57 pts. I look at his teammate Texier who had 41 in 55 games as I assume KalPa won't be very good again although I could be wrong as I haven't looked at their roster. Ylonen had only 27 pts in 53 games last year so I'm hoping he's around 40 as well as both will be in their age 20 season.

Reactions: Kaperi Spacey

CristianoRonaldo

Apr 7, 2014
In your head
I wouldn't expect him to be close to 60, or 50 as that would put him among the best scorers in the league. I'd be very happy if he got around 40 pts assuming he plays over 50 games. Last seasons leader had 57 pts. I look at his teammate Texier who had 41 in 55 games as I assume KalPa won't be very good again although I could be wrong as I haven't looked at their roster. Ylonen had only 27 pts in 53 games last year so I'm hoping he's around 40 as well as both will be in their age 20 season.

That was just to say that close to ppg in 13 games, is not the same as close to ppg in a full season. Of course I would be really happy with 40 points.

Reactions: montreal

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad