Prospect Info: 58th Joni Ikonen

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
6 months sounds ACL.

If he just had surgery then he's not coming back until January. He'll miss WJC. And next year will be about coming back from a serious knee injury and not developing. Perfect.

This something he was playing on or did he injure himself training?

I was thinking ACL too, but thats usually 8 months or so, this is probably MCL or meniscus

either way... not good.

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013
I mean right now Scherbak proved nothing and looks like another bottom6 player after this year..
Oh ok, to me he looks like a top six in the making. Of all the young skilled players, Galchenyuk, Drouin, Lehkonen, Hudon, I wouldn't be surprised if he turns out to be the best. But he has work to do over the next two years and we'll see what he's like when he's 25. For now he's still kind of raw.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I mean right now Scherbak proved nothing and looks like another bottom6 player after this year..

he looks nothing like a bottom 6 player, we just have a shit coach who doesn't trust skilled players that aren't great in their own end. Scherbak is highly skilled, one of the best playmakers we have, he can make highlight reel passes but he's weak physically and in his own end. Imo he has 1st line upside if he can get stronger and Julien stops putting him with crappy no talent grinders cause it's a waste of time to put him with guys with no hands. He has to be with guys that can convert his passes.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
he looks nothing like a bottom 6 player, we just have a **** coach who doesn't trust skilled players that aren't great in their own end. Scherbak is highly skilled, one of the best playmakers we have, he can make highlight reel passes but he's weak physically and in his own end. Imo he has 1st line upside if he can get stronger and Julien stops putting him with crappy no talent grinders cause it's a waste of time to put him with guys with no hands. He has to be with guys that can convert his passes.
Same problem, different coach. God we need Ducharme or Boucher to take over ASAP.

Reactions: montreal

Cobra Commander

Sep 30, 2017
Bell Center
he looks nothing like a bottom 6 player, we just have a **** coach who doesn't trust skilled players that aren't great in their own end. Scherbak is highly skilled, one of the best playmakers we have, he can make highlight reel passes but he's weak physically and in his own end. Imo he has 1st line upside if he can get stronger and Julien stops putting him with crappy no talent grinders cause it's a waste of time to put him with guys with no hands. He has to be with guys that can convert his passes.
And he can score slick goals to top it off.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
The worst part of that news is that the kid desperately needed to have a strong summer and to improve his strength and conditioning. Now he won't be able to work on that as much as he could have and I'm afraid it'll halt his development somewhat. The timing of that injury really sucks.

davey999

Mar 9, 2004

Josh Brook and Joel Teasdale (camp invite) get the invite for the Showcase.

So Poehling/Primeau for US. Brook and to a lesser extent Teasdale for Canada

SO many guys on that list we could have had instead of Ilkonen, who looks like a bust.

Reactions: dralaf

davey999

Mar 9, 2004
Thank you for you expert opinion, we should've never drafted a kid already busting at 19yo.
Time will tell, right? Once you are drafted, you either ascend or you are left behind. Ilkonen is a future, present, Euro Leaguer. Terrible pick.

Reactions: dralaf

Rockomax

Jan 16, 2007
Mtl
Time will tell, right? Once you are drafted, you either ascend or you are left behind. Ilkonen is a future, present, Euro Leaguer. Terrible pick.
At the time, it was a pretty good pick. I recall seeing him in several people's 1st round list. He had a tough season for sure, but any substance to back your statement up? Or you are just being pretentious acting like you can predict a prospect's career based on his Draft+1 year?

davey999

Mar 9, 2004
At the time, it was a pretty good pick. I recall seeing him in several people's 1st round list. He had a tough season for sure, but any substance to back your statement up? Or you are just being pretentious acting like you can predict a prospect's career based on his Draft+1 year?
Look at his stats in the same league vs guys drafted in the same year. Brutal. All reports are that he regressed. That's not good. IMO, he won't make it.

bryan1966

Time for some fast & skilled hockey!
Nov 24, 2011
New Hampshire
Last year development camp everyone was saying Ikonen is better than Phoeling and now he is a bust?

give the kid a chance to develop he has great skills.

Reactions: jayhabsvgk

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Look at his stats in the same league vs guys drafted in the same year. Brutal. All reports are that he regressed. That's not good. IMO, he won't make it.

Way too early to say, unless you are watching the games and see things you don't like imo. I watched him, I saw flashes but I also saw someone who needs to improve the physical aspects, but the skill is there despite a terrible start to the season. In his first 26 games he had 2 f***ing points. That's brutal. In the next 26 games he had 12 pts. So clearly things started going much better for him in the 2nd half, the question then becomes how much better he can do now.

If you look at Lehkonen, at 18 he put up 20 pts in 33 games, to Ikonen's 14 pts in 52 but if you look at his 2nd half, he was at a .46 ppg compared to Lehkonen's .61 which at least makes it look better. Now that he's out 6 months that really hurts as the knee injury will impact him in training this off-season and he'll miss a big chunk of next season. So next year might be more of a write off if he's not back till mid-December which would mean he'll miss over 30 games most likely out of 60.

Last edited:

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
Like who?? Who should we have drafted at the time that was better than Ikonen?

You missed his point. The idea was to make a bold proclamation without any actual support behind it and put the burden of proof on everyone else.

In other words, we have to do the research for him because they can’t/won’t.

Reactions: groovejuice

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad