Prospect Info: 58th Joni Ikonen

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
You missed his point. The idea was to make a bold proclamation without any actual support behind it and put the burden of proof on everyone else.

In other words, we have to do the research for him because they can’t/won’t.

Sounds like not fun.

Thanks for informing me I had to do the home work;)

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
he just seems so small and not a particularly good skater. I have no idea how he can get around that. His shot is absolutely lethal but what else does he have? Genuinely asking.

Hfbsux

Dec 22, 2012
he just seems so small and not a particularly good skater. I have no idea how he can get around that. His shot is absolutely lethal but what else does he have? Genuinely asking.

From what I've seen at the U18 in 2017 he also has a great vision, good stickhandling and a lot of offensive instinct. I thought he had a really great tournament and was pretty pumped when we drafted him. At the rookie developpement camp with the habs, he was sticking out. Relentless on the forecheck with a quick stick. I thought his skating looked good there, it is not explosive as you'd expect from a small guy but he can spin and switch way pretty quick. He also has decent edgework.

His 2017-2018 season was pretty tough. He had a hard time adjusting against men and did not get a lot of ice time at first. He was showing sign of improvement as his shot production climbed up significatively by the end of the year. It's too bad he got a knee injury, hopefullyf he will be ready for the WJC. Would be nice to see him, Koktaniemi and Ylonen with the Fins.

Reactions: montreal

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal

So he's a Sebastian Collberg clone? :sarcasm:

Collberg just posted the same ppg in the SHL as in his D+1 year :laugh:

Hopefully, Ikonen continue building on his 2nd half of the season and actually progress somewhat in the next few years.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
The timing of his injury is still really terrible, few of our prospects were in bigger need of a good productive off season in the gym. As things are he won't be able to work on his lower body strength much and he'll have to work extra hard just to adapt the the Liiga again.

Reactions: S Bah

cphabs

The 2 stooges….
Dec 21, 2012
The timing of his injury is still really terrible, few of our prospects were in bigger need of a good productive off season in the gym. As things are he won't be able to work on his lower body strength much and he'll have to work extra hard just to adapt the the Liiga again.
You tell the little bastard that we as fans love him and to take his time healing up! No hurry and do it right!

GHJimmy

We made it here.
Mar 30, 2018
Has there been any updates on his injury? I've tried looking it up and not finding anything, would be nice for an update on this kid

GHJimmy

We made it here.
Mar 30, 2018
around dec 24, just before the u20s
That's a long time, a bad start to the year! Quite of bit of injuries on our team this year it's not even funny.
Welp I hope he goes through it and I hope he is doing well right now!

GTA

Jul 12, 2012
Toronto
Is there any word on this guy? Thought he was coming back early Jan at the latest

HOPE

Goal Caufield!
Jun 30, 2011
Montreal
At this point this kid missed so much quality development hockey that i almost count him out. He had a disappointing d+1 liiga season and almost haven’t played any hockey since. I guess will just forget about him and hopefully he surprises me out of no where. It’s sad because he had alot of skills.

Fazkovsky

Sep 4, 2013
At this point this kid missed so much quality development hockey that i almost count him out. He had a disappointing d+1 liiga season and almost haven’t played any hockey since. I guess will just forget about him and hopefully he surprises me out of no where. It’s sad because he had alot of skills.

He is 19 yo. By your logic, we should counted out Weber after his injury too cuz he is 33 years old

Reactions: cphabs

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
The major negative in his case is that he was in desperate need of bulking up ( especially lower body strength wise) last year and losing so much time might put him even further back in that department. Plus he ended his rookie year in the Liiga playing much better than when he started and he didn't get to built on this momentum. The timing of his injury really sucks.

Last edited:

Schwang

May 6, 2002
Kingston, Ont
Visit site
The major negative in his case is that he was in desperate need of bulking up ( especially lower body strength wise) last year and losing so much time might put him even further back in that department. Plus he ended his rookie year in the Liiga playing his best hockey by far. The timing of his injury really sucks.
He wouldn't be the first. Look at Galchenyuk.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
The major negative in his case is that he was in desperate need of bulking up ( especially lower body strength wise) last year and losing so much time might put him even further back in that department. Plus he ended his rookie year in the Liiga playing his best hockey by far. The timing of his injury really sucks.

The way he was head and shiulders above his peers at rookie camp showed me something. Would have been nice to see where his game is at at this year's world juniors. But we'll just have to be patient. I still consider him a good prospect

Reactions: cphabs

L4br3cqu3

Matter of principle.
Sponsor
May 5, 2002
La Tuque
To me, he's one of those I keep forgetting about, then I hope he stays under the radar and somehow 'wow' everybody at Habs next camp.

Have

Feb 10, 2012
Finland
Here's a tiny comparison of players who played in KalPa on their d+1 season:

Artturi Lehkonen (2013-14): 33gp 7+13=20 (his d-1 season: 45gp 14+16=30)
Kasperi Kapanen (2014-15): 41gp 11+10=21 (his d-1 season: 47gp 7+7=14)
Joni Ikonen (2017-18): 52gp 4+10=14

Ikonen played in Sweden during his d-1 season, mainly in the juniors, 10 games and 0 points in SEL.

Lehkonen was the 2nd best scorer for KalPa in 2012-13 and the best in 2013-14 (yes, the team sucked and he was the top scorer with 20 points in a 60 game regular season).
Kapanen was 7th in scoring in 2013-14 and 6th in 2014-15.
Ikonen was 13th (2017-18).

At points during last season Ikonen was actually healthy scratched IIRC, although only for individual games, not so that he would have been sent to the juniors. At times he played very well, other times not. Considering his past performance in comparison to others (not only to Lehkonen and Kapanen) and his injury I have to agree with @HOPE, there's very little chance he'll become an NHL player. Hopefully he can stay healthy and gets his development back on track - even if he does, my expectation for him is a decent FEL career, nothing more.

I (among the majority of Finns) have considered Joni to be less talented than his brother Juuso. Strangely Joni was drafted on the second round whereas Juuso was never drafted. It might be because Juuso is way too small for an NHL player - 2cm shorter than his little brother :sarcasm: I guess as a draftee Joni was seen to have more small rink capabilities than Juuso. Juuso's production in juniors and in FEL were considerably better when he was Joni's age.

Rockomax

Jan 16, 2007
Mtl
To count a 19 years old out after a long injury

We learnt its a mistake to do that with Any aged player when you look at Weber
Yes, but Weber was already developed, whereas Ikonen is losing development time which is obviously precious and critical at 19. The major difference is that Weber did not have to get better after his injury, heck he could have gotten worse and still be useful because he's completely development and knows how to play the game at this level. Ikonen though is an entirely different situation. He's at the beginning of his career, a time at which he needs to get better. If he plateaus or regresses, he has no chance whatsoever to get a taste of the NHL. I don't really get how those 2 can even be remotely compared.

Edit: Off the top of my head in the habs organization, better comparables would be Galchenyuk, Bozon and Chipchura

Reactions: Fazkovsky

Jul 6, 2016
Ikonen, Reway, Nattinen ..... Story repeating again and again.....

Harry Kakalovich

Sep 26, 2002
Montreal
Here's a tiny comparison of players who played in KalPa on their d+1 season:

Artturi Lehkonen (2013-14): 33gp 7+13=20 (his d-1 season: 45gp 14+16=30)
Kasperi Kapanen (2014-15): 41gp 11+10=21 (his d-1 season: 47gp 7+7=14)
Joni Ikonen (2017-18): 52gp 4+10=14

Ikonen played in Sweden during his d-1 season, mainly in the juniors, 10 games and 0 points in SEL.

Lehkonen was the 2nd best scorer for KalPa in 2012-13 and the best in 2013-14 (yes, the team sucked and he was the top scorer with 20 points in a 60 game regular season).
Kapanen was 7th in scoring in 2013-14 and 6th in 2014-15.
Ikonen was 13th (2017-18).

At points during last season Ikonen was actually healthy scratched IIRC, although only for individual games, not so that he would have been sent to the juniors. At times he played very well, other times not. Considering his past performance in comparison to others (not only to Lehkonen and Kapanen) and his injury I have to agree with @HOPE, there's very little chance he'll become an NHL player. Hopefully he can stay healthy and gets his development back on track - even if he does, my expectation for him is a decent FEL career, nothing more.

I (among the majority of Finns) have considered Joni to be less talented than his brother Juuso. Strangely Joni was drafted on the second round whereas Juuso was never drafted. It might be because Juuso is way too small for an NHL player - 2cm shorter than his little brother :sarcasm: I guess as a draftee Joni was seen to have more small rink capabilities than Juuso. Juuso's production in juniors and in FEL were considerably better when he was Joni's age.

Thanks that's helpful. I hope he finds a way somehow.

Fazkovsky

Sep 4, 2013
From what I've seen at the U18 in 2017 he also has a great vision, good stickhandling and a lot of offensive instinct. I thought he had a really great tournament and was pretty pumped when we drafted him. At the rookie developpement camp with the habs, he was sticking out. Relentless on the forecheck with a quick stick. I thought his skating looked good there, it is not explosive as you'd expect from a small guy but he can spin and switch way pretty quick. He also has decent edgework.

His 2017-2018 season was pretty tough. He had a hard time adjusting against men and did not get a lot of ice time at first. He was showing sign of improvement as his shot production climbed up significatively by the end of the year. It's too bad he got a knee injury, hopefullyf he will be ready for the WJC. Would be nice to see him, Koktaniemi and Ylonen with the Fins.
Yes, but Weber was already developed, whereas Ikonen is losing development time which is obviously precious and critical at 19. The major difference is that Weber did not have to get better after his injury, heck he could have gotten worse and still be useful because he's completely development and knows how to play the game at this level. Ikonen though is an entirely different situation. He's at the beginning of his career, a time at which he needs to get better. If he plateaus or regresses, he has no chance whatsoever to get a taste of the NHL. I don't really get how those 2 can even be remotely compared.

Edit: Off the top of my head in the habs organization, better comparables would be Galchenyuk, Bozon and Chipchura

Yes, I understand but some players make the NHL at 25 yo. He could still be in Finland at 22 and come over and that would still be fine.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->