Pre-Game Talk: #58 | Rangers @ Pens | 7:00pm

Status
Not open for further replies.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
Might go a long way toward explaining why they played like crap in that game.

I'm sure it was, but next game we crushed the Sabres. Let's crush the Rangers now! A win tonight puts us 1 point back of 1st in the NHL with 1 game in hand (2 Saturday when Ducks play 60th game).

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
What's the logic in trading Bort? He likely has little value around the league, he's cheap, and he's on our bottom-pair. What's the incentive to trade him all of a sudden?

Letang being out doesn't make Bort untouchable, it just adds to the list of reasons not to trade him.

B/c we can call up Despres. And move Bort in a package to pick up a top 9 winger.

We need Despres' breakout pass without Letang in the lineup.

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013
Might go a long way toward explaining why they played like crap in that game.
On the reaction of the players:
Well, up until maybe yesterday afternoon, the only person in this room that knew was me and what was really going on. Jen didn’t know, the players didn’t know, I think maybe one or two players were included yesterday afternoon by Kris. So they found out this morning. Obviously they knew Kris was out and having some tests and other things, but there wasn’t any information out there. Today they found out and I’m not sure what their reaction was, totally, about the news and what the news was.
http://penguins.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=704186&cmpid=pit-twt-penguins

Dying Alive

Phil = 2x Champ
Mar 11, 2007
Pittsburgh

Yeah, I just read that here in the timeline as well:

Friday, Feb. 7
In the morning the Pens alert the players and staff about Letang’s stroke. In the afternoon the team announces the update to the public.

“The players didn’t know, I think maybe one or two players were included (Thursday) afternoon by Kris,” Bylsma said. “So they found out this morning. Obviously they knew Kris was out and having some tests and other things, but there wasn’t any information out there. Today they found out.”
http://penguins.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=704184&cmpid=pit-twt-penguins

I guess we'll see how they react to it on the ice. To be honest I really couldn't care less about this game tonight, in the big picture it means next to nothing. I wouldn't blame them if their thoughts are elsewhere.

orby

Jun 16, 2013
Erie, PA
www.youtube.com
I'll be missing tonight's game, but I have a feeling this is going to be pretty forgettable, considering the best players on both teams are probably just gearing up for the Olympics already.

Griffin6612

Jun 28, 2007
Come to think of it. Why the hell is the NHL playing this game, at this time? With the opening olympics airing on NBC at 7 eastern, they could have broadcaster at a much better time or date.

By the way . Just watched the live stream of the Opening Ceremonies, and they were beautiful guys. Highly suggest watching them. Had tons of aerial props that were truely impressive, and great classical Russian music and dance. I know that may not be up some peoples alleys, but I truly recommend seeing this.

Oh and its 100% less boring than the British summer open. :rant:

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Between the Letang news, the Olympic break, and the huge lead in the division, I think the Pens are going to put up a stinker tonight. I just can't see how they'd be mentally focused for a game that, at this point, means very little in the grand scheme of things.

I wonder if Bylsma is going to cut down on the ice time the big guys get. This is the type of game where guys like Crosby and Malkin probably shouldn't play more than about 15 to 17 minutes, maybe more if there are a lot of PPs.

MeticulouslyDishevel

Oct 23, 2012
The Letang news really puts a damper on this for me. Wonder if it will affect the team.

Me too. Add in the fact that it's the last game before the Olympics and this could feel like the hockey equivalent of the last day of school before Christmas break. I'm sure a bunch of the players were taken aback when they found out about Letang.

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
I'm not really bothered about tonights game but it would be nice to see the team end on a high note in a big win.

MeticulouslyDishevel

Oct 23, 2012
Between the Letang news, the Olympic break, and the huge lead in the division, I think the Pens are going to put up a stinker tonight. I just can't see how they'd be mentally focused for a game that, at this point, means very little in the grand scheme of things.

I wonder if Bylsma is going to cut down on the ice time the big guys get. This is the type of game where guys like Crosby and Malkin probably shouldn't play more than about 15 to 17 minutes, maybe more if there are a lot of PPs.

Since Bylsma is coaching the US team I predict Sid and Malkin will both play about 40 minutes each. :laugh:

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
I'm not really bothered about tonights game but it would be nice to see the team end on a high note in a big win.

Yeah tonight is like any other night for me. Play them hard, crash the net all game, SCORE! I don't want a bloodbath, but i also don't wanna watch an emotionless game. Still a hockey game to be played and for most, it will be 2 weeks before they play again. A win tonight moves us 1 point away from 1st in the NHL in points, which given this teams season on injuries is pretty amazing. Can't say Pens have not played through advercity(sp), it's been a wild ride all season long.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC

If we weren't playing the Rangers, I'd think this as well. But we match up very well with the Blueshirts, we don't like them much, and in particular I suspect James Neal wants to look good tonight against Rick Nash.

I think we'll be alright tonight.

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
I kind of expect a preseason-esque performance tonight from the star players with a lot of them just going through the motions and trying not to get hurt. Although I'd imagine all the guys that aren't going, especially those that may feel snubbed because they didn't make their Olympic team, will bust their ass out there.

Penguinzilla*

I'm just hoping no one gets injured tonight and Crosby put up at least 3 points

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Since Bylsma is coaching the US team I predict Sid and Malkin will both play about 40 minutes each. :laugh:

That would explain why Bylsma is suddenly playing Sid a lot on the PK. Maybe hoping he'll block a shot that will take him out of action for the next two weeks, but be back in time to not miss any NHL action. :sarcasm:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad