Pre-Game Talk: #58 | Rangers @ Pens | 7:00pm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
Pittsburgh Penguins ‏@penguins 4m View translation
Lines looking this at today's morning skate: Kunitz-Crosby-Gibbons, Jokinen-Malkin-Neal, Glass-Sutter-Megna, Zolnierczyk-Adams-Engelland

No Kobasew again thank god. Either injured, terrible (Hey-ho!) or hopefully being waived.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
The Letang news really puts a damper on this for me. Wonder if it will affect the team.

BumFortyOne

Nov 13, 2006
Berkeley
Really scary stuff for Letang. Hope he makes a full recovery and is able to come back at some point.

But now, from the team's perspective they should probably plan on him not being able to come back this season. Probably time to balance out the defense pairings.

Orpik-Martin
Scuderi-Niskanen
Maatta-Bortuzzo

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal
The Letang news really puts a damper on this for me. Wonder if it will affect the team.

I don't know if it affects the team or not, but I have to believe most of the guys knew what was going on since he was on the trip. Maybe they found out in Phoenix and that's why they weren't really up for it?

Not sure but I hope Kris get's better, that's all that matters right now. ****in scary

alcanalz

whys and wherefores
Nov 3, 2009
Really scary stuff for Letang. Hope he makes a full recovery and is able to come back at some point.

But now, from the team's perspective they should probably plan on him not being able to come back this season. Probably time to balance out the defense pairings.

Orpik-Martin
Scuderi-Niskanen
Maatta-Bortuzzo

Those were the lines I was thinking too.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
I don't know if it affects the team or not, but I have to believe most of the guys knew what was going on since he was on the trip. Maybe they found out in Phoenix and that's why they weren't really up for it?

Not sure but I hope Kris get's better, that's all that matters right now. ****in scary

This appears to be exactly what happened. Bylsma just said they knew in Phoenix.

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh

Orpik-Martin
Scuderi-Niskanen
Maatta-Bortuzzo

No reason to change anything tonight, wait til after the break and see what's going on with Letang at that point.

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012

Orpik-Martin
Scuderi-Niskanen
Maatta-Bortuzzo

Those are the pairs they started the season with. Being that it's the last game before the Olympic break, the d-pairs for tonight really don't matter, but long-term this is what the Penguins should do.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
Vokoun blood clot
Letang minor stroke
Pens lead big time in man games lost
Pens 1st in conference

You can make a book about this seasons team and yet despite the odds just kept on winning no matter what happens to them.

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
Vokoun blood clot
Letang minor stroke
Pens lead big time in man games lost
Pens 1st in conference

You can make a book about this seasons team and yet despite the odds just kept on winning no matter what happens to them.

https://twitter.com/CraigJButton/status/431838280561078275

Much admiration for Bill Belichick keeping Patriots performing despite losing top players. High time to admire @penguins Dan Byslma for same

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
I can't see Shero trading any NHL def with Letang being out.

If Letang is out longterm, then Despres needs to be in the lineup. Pair him with Scuds. Move Bort+pick for a forward. And then hope Bennett can come back strong.

Griffin6612

Jun 28, 2007
If Letang is out longterm, then Despres needs to be in the lineup. Pair him with Scuds. Move Bort+pick for a forward. And then hope Bennett can come back strong.

I agree he needs to be in the lineup, but with the uncertainty of Letangs health, injuries, and lots of FA on our D this year, we really need to keep the ones who can play around.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Bort in no way replaces what Letang brings. And we have several D below him in the depth chart who can play in the NHL if injuries occur.

I don't follow the logic that a Letang injury makes Robert Bortuzzo untouchable.

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh

I think there is a better chance of the pens adding a def if Letang is out long term then trading one of there NHL def.

Shero is going to want to have 8 or 9 def going into the playoffs.

If Letang is out for the rest of the regular season it does give the pens some cap space.

alcanalz

whys and wherefores
Nov 3, 2009
Bort in no way replaces what Letang brings. And we have several D below him in the depth chart who can play in the NHL if injuries occur.

I don't follow the logic that a Letang injury makes Robert Bortuzzo untouchable.

What's the logic in trading Bort? He likely has little value around the league, he's cheap, and he's on our bottom-pair. What's the incentive to trade him all of a sudden?

Letang being out doesn't make Bort untouchable, it just adds to the list of reasons not to trade him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig