#57 LOSERS vs. ANY TEAM in NHL, by 2-0

Telos

In Gavrikov We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
Goalies must love us, we are handing out shutouts like they're candy on Halloween.

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
Not disagreeing, its exactly what I'm saying. Kings used to be so great on the breakout. Now they are absolutely terrible.

This probably has to do with the forwards playing too high on the breakouts. To me when the breakouts are successful, the forward spacing is even and the passes end up being clean and on the tape.

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
I'm starting to wonder at what point does this start to fall on Sutter? I know this is his first full season as the coach, but even when Terry Murray was at his worst, the team was not scoring like this.

kingsholygrail

Predictable 1-2
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
I'm starting to wonder at what point does this start to fall on Sutter? I know this is his first full season as the coach, but even when Terry Murray was at his worst, the team was not scoring like this.

Difference between Sutter and Murray is subtle. While both emphasize defense, Murray was very much a counter attack type of offense.

Sutter is more cycle and puck possession.

ScoreZeGoals

Boooorrrrriiiinnnnng
Jun 29, 2010

While there is no doubt Sutter shoulders some of the blame for this (everyone does), I'd put him 3rd on the responsibility list behind the players and Lombardi

The players: Quit on a previous coach, and have a history of both severe scoring droughts and playing down to their opponents

Lombardi: Signed Stoll and Regehr to those bad contracts. Did NOTHING to address the issues this team had after last season (hole on LW that has been there forever and zero production from the bottom six). The Frattin experiment has been a disaster.

Sutter: Not holding some players accountable for repeated mistakes and penalties while having a VERY short leash with some young players. His love of Lewis and Muzzin is out of hand. Some of his line-ups have been very head scratching.

Sutter and Lombardi: I don't like how Pearson, Vey, and Toffoli have been handled this season at all. Far too much going up and down between clubs followed by being scratched

Plenty of blame to go around

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Kings dropped to 29th in the NHL in goals for. The team sitting at 30th is the Buffalo Sabres. Teams that ON PAPER are thin on talent such as the Panthers, Wild, Flames, Devils, Predators, Coyotes, Senators, Blue Jackets, etc. all rank ahead of the Kings. Depressing.

kingsholygrail

Predictable 1-2
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
Kings dropped to 29th in the NHL in goals for. The team sitting at 30th is the Buffalo Sabres. Teams that ON PAPER are thin on talent such as the Panthers, Wild, Flames, Devils, Predators, Coyotes, Senators, Blue Jackets, etc. all rank ahead of the Kings. Depressing.

I see what they're doing...

29th in the league in scoring in 2011-12...

Face Wash

Mar 17, 2002
Visit site
Dear Jake,

Sincerely,
My 4-year old son, whose first live Kings game was pissed away today by another one of your dumb mistakes.

Shellz

May 6, 2009
California
I really hope Tip a King helped the players loose up a bit. I hope their wasnt too many nagging fans..but, would obviously understand why.

Reclamation Project

Cut It All Right In Two
Jul 6, 2011
The last thing I would bring up is their offensive woes, but then again, I'm sure some jackass did. I'm there to have a good time and meet my favorite players, not ***** and moan.

If someone wants to do that they should take it to an online forum.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Coyotes beat the Penguins 3-1. Compare their team on paper to the Kings and explain how they have a better offense.

Oh and the Kings are now 4 points removed from sitting at 9th. Where's the light at the end of the tunnel?

Winger23

May 3, 2007
Coyotes beat the Penguins 3-1. Compare their team on paper to the Kings and explain how they have a better offense.

Oh and the Kings are now 4 points removed from sitting at 9th. Where's the light at the end of the tunnel?

Well they could get 2 points next game against Chicago.....roflmao yeah right.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I see what they're doing...

29th in the league in scoring in 2011-12...

lol, well played :laugh:

I was watching SJS/CHI and there is no doubt in my mind that if we were to loosen up and play a more up-tempo transition style we could do it. It would require some moves on the back-end but we'd be fine. We obviously don't have a Kane, but we do have depth and tenacity. We just don't EVER try to catch teams in transition which is how CHI murders us most nights. Hard to pop in a few extra goals a night when any turnover outside the offensive zone means you circle back and regroup while the opponent sets up. you keep possession, sure, but that's where the endless dump/cycle starts, and when teams are just sitting 4-5 back waiting for it, defending the middle, and fronting your point shows, yeah, you get the muck you see now.

The other thing I noticed from that and other games is the blueliners aren't just sitting there waiting for a pass, they're moving laterally, which means a lane opens up by default no matter what your shot selection is, because if it doesn't, someone is getting pulled out of position. That's an easy change.

Peter James Bond

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
lol, well played :laugh:

I was watching SJS/CHI and there is no doubt in my mind that if we were to loosen up and play a more up-tempo transition style we could do it. It would require some moves on the back-end but we'd be fine. We obviously don't have a Kane, but we do have depth and tenacity. We just don't EVER try to catch teams in transition which is how CHI murders us most nights. Hard to pop in a few extra goals a night when any turnover outside the offensive zone means you circle back and regroup while the opponent sets up. you keep possession, sure, but that's where the endless dump/cycle starts, and when teams are just sitting 4-5 back waiting for it, defending the middle, and fronting your point shows, yeah, you get the muck you see now.

The other thing I noticed from that and other games is the blueliners aren't just sitting there waiting for a pass, they're moving laterally, which means a lane opens up by default no matter what your shot selection is, because if it doesn't, someone is getting pulled out of position. That's an easy change.

I am not sure if the Kings could transition their game like that.
Sutter wouldn't allow it. I'm in Denver and my NHL Ctr Ice said I
wasn't authorized for the King game today...this happens sometimes
on the HD Comcast Channels...so I watched the AVS game and it
was like every time they had the puck, you thought they could score.
MacKinnon scored 2 and now has 20 goals. 13 in last 19 games. What speed. Landeskog, O'Reilly, Duchene, Parenteau, Stastny, and McGinn...7 forwards who can score and what chemistry. The Kings should stop watching their videos and breaking down what is failing...they should watch videos of this game and see how dynamic offense can be. In June, I thought they would be drafting Seth Jones, but they knew what they were getting in MacKinnon...kid doesn't turn 19 until Sept. Insane.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I am not sure if the Kings could transition their game like that.
Sutter wouldn't allow it. I'm in Denver and my NHL Ctr Ice said I
wasn't authorized for the King game today...this happens sometimes
on the HD Comcast Channels...so I watched the AVS game and it
was like every time they had the puck, you thought they could score.
MacKinnon scored 2 and now has 20 goals. 13 in last 19 games. What speed. Landeskog, O'Reilly, Duchene, Parenteau, Stastny, and McGinn...7 forwards who can score and what chemistry. The Kings should stop watching their videos and breaking down what is failing...they should watch videos of this game and see how dynamic offense can be. In June, I thought they would be drafting Seth Jones, but they knew what they were getting in MacKinnon...kid doesn't turn 19 until Sept. Insane.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not suggesting that. I think there are 5-10 teams that are more talented offensively than us. We should certainly not try to be a speed team like the Avs. I just think we could stand to jump turnovers into transition instead of cycling back and starting the breakout repeatedly. Part of why we were so successful in 2012 was we were able to forecheck people into mistakes and keep the puck on offense; now teams have gotten around that and we usually at least muck up the neutral zone for them, but instead of turning back up ice, we slow down. Without a personnel change, that's a tweak I think we could afford to make. We don't have a MacKinnon/Duchene or any of those guys, so we do have to play to our strengths--not going to become a rush/quick-strike team, but can certainly use size and strength to force turnovers, hold the puck, but then take some chances offensively.

DocWest

Rock Bottom
Oct 21, 2010
Los Angeles
I was at the game today and what really bothered me, aside from the awful Philly fans, was the complete lack of emotion from the Kings. It was the quietest game I've seen them play. Almost no chirping and it looked like they were playing a relaxing pickup game. Compare that to the Dallas and Ottawa games I saw at the start of the season where there was so much energy on the ice and it's a completely different team.

I'm going to the Lumbus game next and I truly hope things start to change. I mean, at least be pissed if you're trailing. Show some fight/compete. Simmonds showed so much emotion when he scored. Where was the counter to that? Based on Doughty's post game comments, he wasn't crazy about it...so show it.

DocWest

Rock Bottom
Oct 21, 2010
Los Angeles
Philly, Washington, Pittsburgh. Hitting up all 3 of those. Pray I don't get killed.
If Philly fans act like complete animals in our barn, I can't image what they will be like to you. You should be fine in the Berg for the most part, you'll just have to deal with the occasional yinzer fan.

I'll still pray for you.

MadFerIt95*

If Philly fans act like complete animals in our barn, I can't image what they will be like to you. You should be fine in the Berg for the most part, you'll just have to deal with the occasional yinzer fan.

I'll still pray for you.

Don't be so dramatic, philly fans are nowhere near as bad as everyone makes them out to be. Whoever goes to Philly will be fine

sobrien

RAFFLCOPTER
Jul 19, 2009
South Jersey
Was reading through earlier, sorry you guys had to deal with some jerk fans. If it's any consolation, I hate our fans too :laugh: Some of the die-hard (and level headed) Flyers fans joke that the morons who show up to the Wells Fargo Center are just Eagles fans with nothing better to do. Find a good Flyers fan and he/she will sit down for a beer with you and talk hockey, as most hockey fans would.

Philly, Washington, Pittsburgh. Hitting up all 3 of those. Pray I don't get killed.

If you're upper level, don't antagonize or say anything back to an insulter. Careful wearing your team's colors too, but you should be fine. I don't think anyone will care to pick a fight with a Kings fan. Now if you walked in wearing a Pittsburgh jersey, I hope you're wearing a suit of armor over it...

Lower level you shouldn't have any issues.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,447.00