Post-Game Talk: #57: FLYERS at Islanders (Brooklyn), Tuesday, Feb. 11, 2020, 7:00 pm ET

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
KDLicpb.png

One pair helped, one pair didn't.
One player excelled, other players didn't.

This is the most asinine narrative I've seen in a while. Can we stop? My head hurts, my nose is chapped and dripping watery snot, and the Flyers just lost in the most utterly Flyers way possible. I don't have time for this.
I look forward to this being ignored by a certain impartial person because this doesn't match his eye test.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Precisely the reason I'm awake.

I've taken 120mg extended release sudafed, 2 Mucinex DMs, and two 30mg immediate release sudafeds. If your hands aren't shaking, it's not enough sudafed. I'm also 800mg motrin deep.

At about 1am I'm due for nyquil

Good I'm glad you're here.

I rely on Sudafed to function when I have a cold. I'm emerging from one now, actually. But I'm not supposed to take Sudafed because my circulatory system is UTTER TRASH and the doctor is afraid Sudafed might make my heart EXPLODE.

What else is there? If the answer is "nothing" then that's cool, I'd rather explode my heart than be congested.

FatTugboatFlahr

Apr 6, 2012
Philadelphia
I got some good good that'll knock you right out. Chocolate coffee 20%. Side effects include a wicked hangover, but given meds these days, that's a whole hell of a lot better than suicidal thoughts or constantly ****ting your pants, as @Beef Invictus can attest.

If anyone can confirm that shitting your pants isn’t ideal, it’s gotta be Beef.

Last edited:

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Precisely the reason I'm awake.

I've taken 120mg extended release sudafed, 2 Mucinex DMs, and two 30mg immediate release sudafeds. If your hands aren't shaking, it's not enough sudafed. I'm also 800mg motrin deep.

At about 1am I'm due for nyquil
Ironic because the effects of mixing Sudafed and Nyquil are pretty much the same produced by watching the ending of tonight's game.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa

I rely on Sudafed to function when I have a cold. I'm emerging from one now, actually. But I'm not supposed to take Sudafed because my circulatory system is UTTER TRASH and the doctor is afraid Sudafed might make my heart EXPLODE.

What else is there? If the answer is "nothing" then that's cool, I'd rather explode my heart than be congested.

For the record, I'm liking this because I agree congestion is literally the worst. Not because I want your heart to explode....despite your poor opinion and slander of Reeses.

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2018

hahahahaha now you're talking!!

Honestly, you're in luck. The way decongestants work is by constricting vessels, and that's why your doc is being wary of them. Constricting vessels = increased BP. Some things aren't actually real compared to what we learn in school, but this is. So take some sudafed and blow that heart up bb

(I would not recommend it in all seriousness)

Reactions: Beef Invictus

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
hahahahaha now you're talking!!

Honestly, you're in luck. The way decongestants work is by constricting vessels, and that's why your doc is being wary of them. Constricting vessels = increased BP. Some things aren't actually real compared to what we learn in school, but this is. So take some sudafed and blow that heart up bb

(I would not recommend it in all seriousness)

I do my damndest to avoid taking it 24/7 when I'm sick, that's my form of compromise. I'll take it at night to sleep. My BP is managed, and so is my extremely fat blood. Which is good because prior to getting meds my system was idling at just below Stage 3 Hypertension with lipid numbers that were off the charts. I'm built like a f***ing diesel engine trying to run gasoline.

If I have to live with congestion for more than a few hours I'd welcome a heart explosion anyway so the risks become benefits.

Edit good god I was wrong, I checked the numbers and I was sitting just shy of Stage 4 hypertension. I am badly constructed.

Reactions: flyersfan187

occultist goat

Mar 16, 2019
everyone whos an underachieving sap in the Hextall era need to be gone at the deadline. starting with JVR and drag Elliot along with him.:rant:

GapToothedWonder

Dec 20, 2013
Paris of the Praries
Myers running around like a chicken w/ his head cut off on the winning goal.

Yeesh. Just a horrible shift by him.

I guess they couldn’t play the top pair because they’d just been out there forever. But ugh.

Elliott also needs to stop that.

Myers forces a chip in to the corner against Lee, battles in the corner, occupies Lee but Barzal escapes up the wall.

He then rotates to the right side of the net and engages with Lee in front.

Well maintaining good position Sanheim heads to the RH side of the net behind Lee effectively covering no one. The puck goes to the LH corner, Myers drops down to cut off the passing lane to the front of the net and forces the puck into the corner.

He looked scrambly trying to cover Barzal low in the corner. But he never gave him a passing lane or a lane to drive the net. And its Barzal I thought his one on one overage there was pretty good vs one of thr league's shiftiest players.

As Barzal moves back to the RH side of the net Myers rotates back to the RH side because Sanheim is engaged in front. He keeps Barzal to the outside.

Meanwhile JVR has rotated down to below the dot on the LH side. He isn't low enough to cover a cross crease pass to Eberle but is so low that he has no chance to defend the point. He is in no man's land. He has no chance to take away any shooting or passing lanes in the position he has put himself in.

Plus Pitlick rotated all the way down to the crease and is some what covering the cross crease seam, but with where Myers is he should really be jumping to cover the seam that Barzal ends up passing through.

I can see why you would think Myers was scrambling, he ends up on his off side and looks a little off balance covering Barzal. But he is covering for other people's rotation choices and I don't think it is reasonable to expect him to play better 1 on 1 defense vs Barzal.

It's one of those play were JVR, Pitlick and Sanheims decisions put Myers in a tough spot and I think he handled it very well.

Reactions: Striiker

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
Myers forces a chip in to the corner against Lee, battles in the corner, occupies Lee but Barzal escapes up the wall.

He then rotates to the right side of the net and engages with Lee in front.

Well maintaining good position Sanheim heads to the RH side of the net behind Lee effectively covering no one. The puck goes to the LH corner, Myers drops down to cut off the passing lane to the front of the net and forces the puck into the corner.

He looked scrambly trying to cover Barzal low in the corner. But he never gave him a passing lane or a lane to drive the net. And its Barzal I thought his one on one overage there was pretty good vs one of thr league's shiftiest players.

As Barzal moves back to the RH side of the net Myers rotates back to the RH side because Sanheim is engaged in front. He keeps Barzal to the outside.

Meanwhile JVR has rotated down to below the dot on the LH side. He isn't low enough to cover a cross crease pass to Eberle but is so low that he has no chance to defend the point. He is in no man's land. He has no chance to take away any shooting or passing lanes in the position he has put himself in.

Plus Pitlick rotated all the way down to the crease and is some what covering the cross crease seam, but with where Myers is he should really be jumping to cover the seam that Barzal ends up passing through.

I can see why you would think Myers was scrambling, he ends up on his off side and looks a little off balance covering Barzal. But he is covering for other people's rotation choices and I don't think it is reasonable to expect him to play better 1 on 1 defense vs Barzal.

It's one of those play were JVR, Pitlick and Sanheims decisions put Myers in a tough spot and I think he handled it very well.

This is a well communicated breakdown/interpretation, cudos...but what was the actual game plan is my ask? Keep in mind, Myers has been guilty all year of these breakdowns where he "looks" like he is making the right play but confusing everyone else

Ofcourse it's tuff to pinpoint, but he's been part of way too many plays of scramble where confusion is the by product.

IMO Myers tends/strays to play a system/style that doesn't 100% jive w/ what everyone else is doing...hence, why it happens so frequently on his shifts. He makes a quick read, and tho not necessarily wrong in theory or eye test, cuz he maintains pressure on the puck , but everyone else seems to fall apart cuz of it.

It's been noticeable, and happens alot

Last edited:
Reactions: Ghosts Beer

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Myers raw ability is just dripping off the charts. But there are so many times his instincts are a siberian husky on ice chasing a rubber ball. If he gets it he can he the 2 with Provorov a long time. If he doesn't its Pitkanen 2.0. And I know he 23 and you wait and wait and wait. And despite those bad instincts I want him on the ice 10 out of 10 in a tie game over hagg.

Pitkanen 2.0 would be great tbh... Joni was a solid #2-3 defenseman for ~400 NHL games, averaged 44 points per 82 games, and still was playing at a good level when his career was unfortunately ended by a freak accident at 29.

dats81

Jan 22, 2011
Carinthia, AUT
Pitkanen 2.0 would be great tbh... Joni was a solid #2-3 defenseman for ~400 NHL games, averaged 44 points per 82 games, and still was playing at a good level when his career was unfortunately ended by a freak accident at 29.

Pitkanen was the perfect example for impatience and trying to force a square peg in a round hole.
Flyers were hoping to get a future #1, do-it-all, vocal leader type of allstar defenseman. But those type of players don't come around often.
Instead of making the best out of the situation, they traded him away for worn out J. Smith.

Reactions: Appleyard

occultist goat

Mar 16, 2019
now looking back at that last 1:00 minute that 100% on JVR had he played near the boards earlier they don't get into the zone, to begin with.

Reactions: flyersfan187

Psuhockey

Nov 17, 2010
Myers raw ability is just dripping off the charts. But there are so many times his instincts are a siberian husky on ice chasing a rubber ball. If he gets it he can he the 2 with Provorov a long time. If he doesn't its Pitkanen 2.0. And I know he 23 and you wait and wait and wait. And despite those bad instincts I want him on the ice 10 out of 10 in a tie game over hagg.
He has played 60 games in the NHL. Fans expectations for defensemen right off the bat are out of control. Let’s just memory-hole Provorov’s, Sanheim’s and every other rookie defenseman’s struggles with reading the play at the speed of the NHL.

Reactions: Curufinwe

flyersfan187

Dec 4, 2007
Morrisdale, PA
let’s be honest here, no they won’t. I can’t already see the excuses. “Last game was emotionally draining for us, that’s why we let Florida score 5 in the first period tonight”. Absolutely sickening team

There is so much negativity around here. This is still the best team the Flyers have had in many seasons. You can’t win them all.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad