Post-Game Talk: #57: FLYERS at Islanders (Brooklyn), Tuesday, Feb. 11, 2020, 7:00 pm ET

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
There was a time when a first round exit was massively disappointing for the Flyers. :(

Just shows how spoiled Flyer fans were, with only one extended stretch out of the playoffs in 3 decades.

Last decade was more the norm for the NHL, and complete rebuilds take 6-7 years, we're in year 6 and if Lindblom and Patrick were healthy, we'd consider the rebuild complete.

We're set up to be a powerhouse this decade, just need the Hockey Gods to stop f---ing with us!

FlyerFaithful17

Feb 24, 2015
Just shows how spoiled Flyer fans were, with only one extended stretch out of the playoffs in 3 decades.

Last decade was more the norm for the NHL, and complete rebuilds take 6-7 years, we're in year 6 and if Lindblom and Patrick were healthy, we'd consider the rebuild complete.

We're set up to be a powerhouse this decade, just need the Hockey Gods to stop f---ing with us!
This is accurate. I’m just saying for these aren’t exactly great years by lofty Flyers standards.

JXC

#ThisAintXbox #ThisAintMightyDucks #FireHakstol
Dec 28, 2005
In his post-game interview, AV was not happy that JVR didn’t block the shot.
It took me back to a time long ago when Paul Coffey decided to not try to block a shot in the Finals against the Red Wings.

Not Elliott’s fault.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
It took me back to a time long ago when Paul Coffey decided to not try to block a shot in the Finals against the Red Wings.

Not Elliott’s fault.
I think multiple players share in the blame. They needed a big defensive play & at least 3 Flyers failed to step up & deliver.

Reactions: JXC

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Pitkanen raw skills were off the chart amazing. And because of those skills he got a 8-10 year career. He was also so frustrating at time with his puck coverage that the Flyers gave up traded him for Lupul after only 3 years. Pitkanen's skills were of a no 1 defenseman. He never turned into that. When I see Myers skills i see a future no 2 defenseman who could be Provorov's partner for 10 years. Think of our past at how many years Terrien was our 2 and look at Myers and tell me Myers can't be better than Terrien. But the puck coverage has to get better. He is only 23 and I really think he gets there. But you better believe when I see Myers a see a potentially better career than Pitkanen.

Tbh if Pitkanen had not got injured in such a crazy way he'd have probably played 15-18 years or so...

and yeh, Pitkanen for me was effectively a more talented Coburn. Amazing physical tools but just not quite the IQ to push to that next level.

I do think Myers can be a good #2-3 Dman... but still, if he just got to Pitkanen level I would be pretty happy! Especially if Provorov+Sanheim keep developing.

Reactions: Beef Invictus

YEM

Mar 7, 2010
in the early 90s there were still only 24 teams in the league, so basically a full 2/3rds of the league was in the playoffs. We didn't get to 30 teams until 2000. So we've missed in 5 seasons since then, but only got past the first round in 7 of the 13 appearances. Spoiled?

Reactions: Curufinwe

FlyerFaithful17

Feb 24, 2015
in the early 90s there were still only 24 teams in the league, so basically a full 2/3rds of the league was in the playoffs. We didn't get to 30 teams until 2000. So we've missed in 5 seasons since then, but only got past the first round in 7 of the 13 appearances. Spoiled?
If you’re a young (18 and younger) Flyers fan, you definitely haven’t been spoiled. You probably only vaguely remember the last Finals run if you’re lucky...

Reactions: mmvvpp

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
If you’re a young (18 and younger) Flyers fan, you definitely haven’t been spoiled. You probably only vaguely remember the last Finals run if you’re lucky...
Thats basically how it is for me, although I’m older than 18.

Hazy memory of the last cup run and the year prior (I was 16 or 17 but didn’t pay hardcore attention back then), zero memory of ever watching Lindros as a Flyer, and the first Flyers I can remember watching are Gagne and Primeau (would've been under 10 years old at the time).

So the majority of my memory of this team is from this last decade when I’ve paid the most attention. I didn’t grow up watching hockey a lot as a kid because I had no family that was interested in it, I had to come to it myself.

Reactions: FlyerFaithful17

FlyerFaithful17

Feb 24, 2015
Thats basically how it is for me, although I’m older than 18.

Hazy memory of the last cup run and the year prior (I was 16 or 17 but didn’t pay hardcore attention back then), zero memory of ever watching Lindros as a Flyer, and the first Flyers I can remember watching are Gagne and Primeau (would've been under 10 years old at the time).

So the majority of my memory of this team is from this last decade when I’ve paid the most attention. I didn’t grow up watching hockey a lot as a kid because I had no family that was interested in it, I had to come to it myself.
Good perspective. My first vivid memory as a hockey playing kid was Lindros winning the Hart. I missed the doldrums of the early 90s, and was immediately accustomed to the Flyers being thought of as contenders. Whether they actually were contenders in any given year is a different story, but a Cup run always felt possible, pre-lockout especially.

Reactions: Striiker

gto64dr

Jan 15, 2012
Elliot is a long line of goaltenders that were just not good enough. For years the Flyers have struggled with sub par has beens. This goes back to the Clark years. I really feel he didn't believe Bernie was the most important piece of the glory years. Hopefully Hart is the answer. But if you really look back to our drought you will see that goalies have been our issue. Elliot has been an Achilles heel and it's time to ditch him. His penchant for letting in early goals and his inability to stop anything above his shoulder is killing us.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
My first memories are really the 97-98 season (age 6-7)...

I remember being annoyed that Niinimaa was gone. But then like 3 weeks later loved Dan McGillis after maybe 2 games of seeing him.

My first vivid memories though were the Lindros 1999-00 (age 8-9) injury sagas and then him sitting 00-01. And hating Clarke because of it at the time, I vividly remember the infamous interview Clarke did, was sat watching our NHL highlights show and it was being discussed on there.

Then I really became a "proper, knows what is actually going on" fan in 2002-03 (age 11-12). Buying The Hockey News, checking NHL.com every day, knowing players around the league. Having a Michal Handzus calendar desktop background and Flyers screensaver on my parents PC. :laugh:

I remember scribbling down the Flyers potential line-up on the back page of my school book the day after they traded for Amonte and being like "we are winning the f***ing cup". And getting frustrated that while there were hockey fans in my school all they cared about were Manchester Storm... while who I liked a lot and went to games I knew the level sucked vs NHL and was no-where near as special.

Last edited:

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I go back to the Cup years, a childhood friend's family had season tickets from the inception.
Then fell out in the 1980s and 1990 b/c in Texas, hockey was a minor sport, national coverage was limited and football (beat Dallas!) was everything.

I think the Flyers fell into the "big money" syndrome you see a lot in sports, when you can buy your way out of mistakes, the incentives to reduce mistakes is limited, and organizations become lax and full of good ole boys.

Hextall did a good job of righting the ship, hopefully Fletcher (this year's draft is a good sign) can continue to build on his foundation.

Peacekeeper

Sep 27, 2017
My first memories are really the 97-98 season (age 6-7)...

I remember being annoyed that Niinimaa was gone. But then like 3 weeks later loved Dan McGillis after maybe 2 games of seeing him.

My first vivid memories though were the Lindros 1999-00 (age 8-9) injury sagas and then him sitting 00-01. And hating Clarke because of it at the time, I vividly remember the infamous interview Clarke did, was sat watching our NHL highlights show and it was being discussed on there.

Then I really became a "proper, knows what is actually going on" fan in 2002-03 (age 11-12). Buying The Hockey News, checking NHL.com every day, knowing players around the league. Having a Michal Handzus calendar desktop background and Flyers screensaver on my parents PC. :laugh:

I remember scribbling down the Flyers potential line-up on the back page of my school book the day after they traded for Amonte and being like "we are winning the ****ing cup". And getting frustrated that while there were hockey fans in my school all they cared about were Manchester Storm... while who I liked a lot and went to games I knew the level sucked vs NHL and was no-where near as special.

That is actually awesome hah

I am the same age as you roughly.. I remember when the Flyers traded for Amonte and I checked my Gameboy to see he was a 92 overall :D

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad