Post-Game Talk: #57 | Devils 5 at FLYERS 4 (1-0 shootout) | Tue., Feb. 13 2018

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Their shootout stats over the last 3 seasons are pretty stunning.
G at only 23%. Simmonds at 22%. Couturier 0 for 4. Konecny 0 for 6. Ghost 1 for 5. Schenn was 0 for 5 the last two seasons; Cousins was 2 for 10.

Weal 4 for 8 is at least something. Voracek at 36.4 should always be top 3, also, apparently, with this group. I stand corrected wanting G to go before him. But I'm all for giving Patrick a few more chances, that's for sure.

Oh, and the goalies? Neuvirth has saved 75% (24/32); Mason was 70% (42/60); Elliott is a putrid 44% (4/9) as a Flyer.

It doesn't help that, for years, the organization's brass has made it clear that the SO isn't something they care about.

gto64dr

Jan 15, 2012
Let's be fair to Nuevy. He is the designated backup and has not been getting much play time. Elliott's GAA is not good but he has been winning. Nuevy came into a shootout cold and he bailed us out and then played well. He's a good goalie who is injury prone. Last night he got roughed up pretty good and our D as usual did not clear the zone or the crease very well. I blame the GM and coach for not icing the best available players.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Let's be fair to Nuevy. He is the designated backup and has not been getting much play time. Elliott's GAA is not good but he has been winning. Nuevy came into a shootout cold and he bailed us out and then played well. He's a good goalie who is injury prone. Last night he got roughed up pretty good and our D as usual did not clear the zone or the crease very well. I blame the GM and coach for not icing the best available players.

Good post

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Neuvirth is just so frustrating as he is so inconsistent. Even though he is - realistically - a pretty good back-up he is annoying in a few ways. Everyone can see he has the talent to be a true #1... but it is not just the injuries, something else is missing.

I mean... this will be his 6th season playing 20+ games:

10-11: Slightly above league average goalie
11-12: One of worst goalies in the league
14-15: League average goalie
15-16: One of best goalies in the league
16-17: The worst goalie in the league
17-18: League average goalie

Reactions: The Rage Kage

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Don't you know, GM's only make the best players available. If they are not available, they are not ready.

Oh, and the coach doesn't have to worry about small changes, they don't matter. Nothing bad happens in those 9-15 minutes when shit players play anyways.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
To be fair, last night Provorov was responsible for a lot of the poor defense — both around the crease on two of the goals & on his awful turnover that caused the 2 on 1 goal.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Neuvirth is just so frustrating as he is so inconsistent. Even though he is - realistically - a pretty good back-up he is annoying in a few ways. Everyone can see he has the talent to be a true #1... but it is not just the injuries, something else is missing.

Preparation, both mental and physical, is probably the answer.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
To be fair, last night Provorov was responsible for a lot of the poor defense — both around the crease on two of the goals & on his awful turnover that caused the 2 on 1 goal.
Agreed. But we all know....well most of us know...that it's all about outplaying your mistakes. Certain guys on our team THAT HAK THINKS ARE GOOD, just can't do it.

When you have a coach who thinks bad players are good, it hurts the team. It certainly makes winning harder. We have been lucky to have our top guys play extremely well to cover for others. But it certainly is not a re ice for success long term.

And that is the gripe.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
Agreed. But we all know....well most of us know...that it's all about outplaying your mistakes. Certain guys on our team THAT HAK THINKS ARE GOOD, just can't do it.

When you have a coach who thinks bad players are good, it hurts the team. It certainly makes winning harder. We have been lucky to have our top guys play extremely well to cover for others. But it certainly is not a re ice for success long term.

And that is the gripe.

In other words: if it's broke, fix it.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train

I don't know what Buffalo did to him, but he came out of there a different goalie than what Washington had. He was great at reading plays, his positioning was always on point, he wasn't relying on athleticism constantly. Then last year he just totally regressed. It was weird.

I want to abduct Buffalo's goalie coach.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Rink Stats | Should you shoot first or second in a shootout?

80% of the time, the home team chooses to shoot first in the shootout.

If I were advising an NHL head coach, I’d tell him that if the shootout only lasts three rounds (which it typically does) it probably doesn’t matter whether you choose to go first or second. But if it goes beyond the initial three rounds, there’s evidence that you’re better off shooting first. So because of that, you should always, always, always shoot first.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Not to be flippant but this is the Flyers were talking about here, right? The worst shootout team ever historically if I'm not mistaken?

You don't have to tell me Giroux hasn't been good I can see it with my own 2 eyes. Problem is, who on the roster deserves to be ahead of G shooting? Weal? Patrick who's got one goal to his credit?

Voracek certainly does. He's been twice as good as G in the shootout over the past four seasons.

Weal also does. He's gone 4/8 and been the best SO guy on the team since he was called up.

Giroux's moves haven't worked well since the 13-14 season. That's just a fact.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I'm not so much concerned with shooting 1st as I am with the players selected and the fact that none of them seem to have a gameplan.

Amorgus

Sep 22, 2017
Rochester NY
They're probably not allowed to use any Baseketball tactics when coming in are they? No random screaming and taunting? I'd find it hilarious if someone came skating in and just released an loud, sharp unholy noise like someone just stuck a red hot poker up his ass to startle the goalie and then 5 hole him. Or do whatever Beetlejuice does when they ask him if he can be scary.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

Lotusflower

Tha Snake, Tha Rat, Tha Cat, Tha Dog
Dec 23, 2013
Watching the replay. Did Provorov shorten his stick from earlier in the season?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad