Post-Game Talk: #56| FLYERS at Sabres | Sun., Feb. 15, 2015

Flyotes

Sorry Hinkie.
Apr 7, 2007
SJ
Schenn is still woefully inconsistent.

Injecting life into that LW position has been like trying to use a dead fish as a paddle to defib a heart attack.

Funf

Sep 17, 2013
Philadelphia
Its sad to watch G and Voracek out there trying to make something happen and then see Schenn tooling around on the other side of the ice doing absolutely nothing worth while. Schenn has to get into what they're doing on the ice or get another player to be the wing on that line. Schenn offers nothing-too weak where a power forward needs to be strong and he can't skate.

Yeah, Schenn was driving me nuts last night. G and V looked like they were on the verge of scoring, and practically every time they got set up in the offensive zone, Schenn would get muscled off the puck or turn it over. I wanted him on that line earlier in the year, but I'll admit that I was wrong.

BackToTheBrierePatch

Justice for Cricket
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
According to who,you ? Not sure if you ever played the game etc , but there is a helluva lot of different things that go into making the line up that most of us here at home sitting in front of the computer are not privy to . There are things that go on at practice, off the ice , etc etc that all figure in to decisions made by a coach . For instance , folks on here go beserk with the minutes played stat , whining like a bunch of little school girls if this player played more than that player blah blah blah , and do so not having a clue that there might be reasons for it ?

The 4th line plays more minutes than another line , or gets too many minutes blah blah blah . In my view the coach is simply giving minutes to the players who are bringing it hard every shift and playing with some heart and gusto and hoping it might rub off onto other lines to step it up and bring it with higher intensity etc .

Vinnie gets too many minutes blah blah blah . Maybe the coach is trying to show confidence in him to get him going ? Same with RJ , Shenn etc . This happens in all sports believe it or not . How many times in baseball have you seen a coach stick with a struggling hitter ? Then the hitter slowly but surely works his way out of his funk and starts hitting again .

Not saying Berube is a " great coach " or any of that nonsense , but i am saying he is not nearly as bad or terrible as many on here like to say every single game win or lose . Berube is not the one missing penalty shots , shootout chances ,defensive assignments, etc etc etc . If we only win half our shootouts we are right in the playoff hunt , but i guess Berube's needs to work on his toe drag, and his back hand move ?

ahh coaching is overrated right?
give me a ****ing break :facepalm:

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Let's see, the defense sucks, the forwards other than G & V are terrible, and Berube is an awful coach, Mason is out so we're in the running for McDavid! We're not? Bummer!

The problem is this team right now is the island of misfit toys, and there isn't much Berube can do about it. People here were demanding he play Schenn over Raffl on the first line, well, how's that working for ya? Break up Couts and Read, well, right now Simmonds - Couts - Read is hands down our best line, and VV - PED - Vinnie our second best line, as scary as that sounds. Schenn, G & V have 25 ES goals between them, the Couts line 24, the VV - PEB -VL line 18 ES goals. And G and company get a lot more ES minutes. They've been MIA on ES for about 20 games.

Alright, move Schenn off and put Raffl back, now what the heck is your third line? U - Schenn - White? Uggh! Good luck coaching when the talent isn't there.

And let's not get started with the defense. What defense. L Schenn and MDZ are the only two young defensemen, and they're an adventure on ice. The rest are expensive and aging, except McDonald who is overpaid and mediocre. How you gonna turn garbage into gold?

This is not a bad team, it's not a good team, it's a mediocre team. No coach is going to turn this team around without a healthy Mason, the young defensemen replacing the mediocre veterans, and 2-3 young fast wingers replacing Umberger, VL, White, Rinaldo, etc.

Now when they get the talent on board, then you hang the coach when they underachieve. Right now we have to live with Holgmren's generosity with Mr. Snider's money.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
According to who,you ? Not sure if you ever played the game etc , but there is a helluva lot of different things that go into making the line up that most of us here at home sitting in front of the computer are not privy to . There are things that go on at practice, off the ice , etc etc that all figure in to decisions made by a coach . For instance , folks on here go beserk with the minutes played stat , whining like a bunch of little school girls if this player played more than that player blah blah blah , and do so not having a clue that there might be reasons for it ?

The 4th line plays more minutes than another line , or gets too many minutes blah blah blah . In my view the coach is simply giving minutes to the players who are bringing it hard every shift and playing with some heart and gusto and hoping it might rub off onto other lines to step it up and bring it with higher intensity etc .

Vinnie gets too many minutes blah blah blah . Maybe the coach is trying to show confidence in him to get him going ? Same with RJ , Shenn etc . This happens in all sports believe it or not . How many times in baseball have you seen a coach stick with a struggling hitter ? Then the hitter slowly but surely works his way out of his funk and starts hitting again .

Not saying Berube is a " great coach " or any of that nonsense , but i am saying he is not nearly as bad or terrible as many on here like to say every single game win or lose . Berube is not the one missing penalty shots , shootout chances ,defensive assignments, etc etc etc . If we only win half our shootouts we are right in the playoff hunt , but i guess Berube's needs to work on his toe drag, and his back hand move ?

According to simple common sense. Overplaying your worst players over your best players is stupid. His long established over-reliance on Rinaldo, the worst regular forward in the NHL, is stupid, and the team is far better with him out of the lineup since his presence didn't make Berube play a horrific 4th line even more.

This is just the basic stuff. The advanced stupidity that we see on display game in and game out has been discussed in detail for months.

And before you say "Lavi" again, bear in mind that he is so inflexible that he cannot change his methods once his roster no longer fits, but everyone here knows he is a better coach than the unqualified slob we currently have.

Berube IS that terrible. Plain and simple. He could be the worst coach in franchise history.

BackWithaVengeance

Jan 19, 2008
Germany
... and people wonder why Couturier has a hard time creating offence.

Still has the second best Corsi QoC, what a beast.

Last edited:

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
... and people wonder why Cotourier has a hard time creating offence.

Still has the second best Corsi QoC, what a beast.

OBVIOUSLY OZ starts are overrated :sarcasm:

Couturier should be a 80 point player with Selke caliber defense right now... he isnt?!? TRADE HIM FOR GARDINER!

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
It is very interesting to see how other teams deploy their forwards.

Paul Gaustad only gets 10% OZ starts and still has 10 points. If the Flyers had a guy like that it would really freely up Couturier. Maholtra has been mentioned before as a 4C we should look at, but he can barely play outside of faceoffs.

Vikke

ViktorAllvin twitter
Feb 22, 2004
Västervik, Sweden
twitter.com
Could've had Hall, which would put a lot less pressure on Giroux to take every D-zone faceoff, as well. There are a lot of those utility guys out there. Betts was a player I loved in 2010, perfect fourth liner.

SgtJoseph*

ahh coaching is overrated right?
give me a ****ing break :facepalm:

Never said coaching is overrated at all . Again, some of you folks get your panties all twisted when someone points out that its not all on the coach . Do you think the coach and GM etc anticipated Matt Read struggling as he has ? Or anticipated Shenn being so sporadic ? A few goals here and there by just those two may have decided games in our favor and prevented OT / shootout losses etc . Yea i know , its Berube's fault no matter what .

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
Never said coaching is overrated at all . Again, some of you folks get your panties all twisted when someone points out that its not all on the coach . Do you think the coach and GM etc anticipated Matt Read struggling as he has ? Or anticipated Shenn being so sporadic ? A few goals here and there by just those two may have decided games in our favor and prevented OT / shootout losses etc . Yea i know , its Berube's fault no matter what .
Every person here knows the roster has flaws, but Berube definitely makes some of thsose problems worse with his coaching strategies. It's a bad team that also happens to have a bad coach. These last ten games don't change that.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train

A good coach minimizes a team's flaws. Berube leaves them as exposed as possible thanks to his own choices.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $200.00