Post-Game Talk: #56| FLYERS at Sabres | Sun., Feb. 15, 2015

Hurricane28

Angry Flyers STH/Weather Guy
Aug 22, 2012
South Jersey
Seemed like a good night to have a basketball game right at puck drop. Sounds like a boring game with atrocious coaching decisions. And by basketball game I mean I had a game to play not watch the defensive struggle in the NBA all star game

SgtJoseph*

you're right! berube has done a great job!! really has been putting his team in the best position to succeed!! please send whatever orange drank that you have been sipping on up this way

Never said he has done a " great job " ! Just simply stated we have a 9 game point streak . yes its been ugly at times but it is what it is .......Berube has missed the net a lot this year in shootouts etc ? Berube left the whole middle of the ice wide open against Columbus the other night too ? He and his staff teach that i guess ?Players need to be held responsible in many instances.

Dirty but Good

but mostly dirty
Jan 26, 2013
Milwaukee, WI
It's funny to see all the negativity on here during a 6-0-3 stretch.

"But Beurube...but this defense...but the 4th line TOI..."

Enjoy your team gaining ground in a playoff race people. I know I am.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Never said he has done a " great job " ! Just simply stated we have a 9 game point streak . yes its been ugly at times but it is what it is .......Berube has missed the net a lot this year in shootouts etc ? Berube left the whole middle of the ice wide open against Columbus the other night too ? He and his staff teach that i guess ?Players need to be held responsible in many instances.

Berube has routinely made horrific lineup decisions all year long and made winning as difficult as a coach can make it short of pulling the goalie for 60 minutes.

Jun 13, 2010
New Jersey
It's funny to see all the negativity on here during a 6-0-3 stretch.

"But Beurube...but this defense...but the 4th line TOI..."

Enjoy your team gaining ground in a playoff race people. I know I am.

It's hard for me to get excited when they still look like doo doo. Nah what I'm sayin'?

But yeah, I'm all for a playoff push, as unrealistic as it may be. What the hell.

Psuhockey

Nov 17, 2010
Berube has routinely made horrific lineup decisions all year long and made winning as difficult as a coach can make it short of pulling the goalie for 60 minutes.

Berube stinks but the roster is terrible. This team can't string together 3 passes in a row and turns the puck over repeatedly. The majority of that is on the players.

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
Guys... look on the bright side....

We finally outshot the opponent!!!!!! DRINKS FOR EVERYBODY!!!

Sniped

Snowballs at Santa
Mar 13, 2013
Philly
If the Flyers make the playoffs they will get bounced from the first round, we do not have the defense to compete with the big boys of the East...

Icedog2735

Aug 19, 2006
Stratford, CT
If the Flyers make the playoffs they will get bounced from the first round, we do not have the defense to compete with the big boys of the East...

Or we get in as a wild card and draw Pittsburgh first round and sweep them because despite being in a down spell we've owned them the past couple of years.

This team isn't a Cup contender but you never ever know.

SgtJoseph*

According to who,you ? Not sure if you ever played the game etc , but there is a helluva lot of different things that go into making the line up that most of us here at home sitting in front of the computer are not privy to . There are things that go on at practice, off the ice , etc etc that all figure in to decisions made by a coach . For instance , folks on here go beserk with the minutes played stat , whining like a bunch of little school girls if this player played more than that player blah blah blah , and do so not having a clue that there might be reasons for it ?

The 4th line plays more minutes than another line , or gets too many minutes blah blah blah . In my view the coach is simply giving minutes to the players who are bringing it hard every shift and playing with some heart and gusto and hoping it might rub off onto other lines to step it up and bring it with higher intensity etc .

Vinnie gets too many minutes blah blah blah . Maybe the coach is trying to show confidence in him to get him going ? Same with RJ , Shenn etc . This happens in all sports believe it or not . How many times in baseball have you seen a coach stick with a struggling hitter ? Then the hitter slowly but surely works his way out of his funk and starts hitting again .

Not saying Berube is a " great coach " or any of that nonsense , but i am saying he is not nearly as bad or terrible as many on here like to say every single game win or lose . Berube is not the one missing penalty shots , shootout chances ,defensive assignments, etc etc etc . If we only win half our shootouts we are right in the playoff hunt , but i guess Berube's needs to work on his toe drag, and his back hand move ?

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
According to who,you ? Not sure if you ever played the game etc , but there is a helluva lot of different things that go into making the line up that most of us here at home sitting in front of the computer are not privy to . There are things that go on at practice, off the ice , etc etc that all figure in to decisions made by a coach . For instance , folks on here go beserk with the minutes played stat , whining like a bunch of little school girls if this player played more than that player blah blah blah , and do so not having a clue that there might be reasons for it ?

The 4th line plays more minutes than another line , or gets too many minutes blah blah blah . In my view the coach is simply giving minutes to the players who are bringing it hard every shift and playing with some heart and gusto and hoping it might rub off onto other lines to step it up and bring it with higher intensity etc .

Vinnie gets too many minutes blah blah blah . Maybe the coach is trying to show confidence in him to get him going ? Same with RJ , Shenn etc . This happens in all sports believe it or not . How many times in baseball have you seen a coach stick with a struggling hitter ? Then the hitter slowly but surely works his way out of his funk and starts hitting again .

Not saying Berube is a " great coach " or any of that nonsense , but i am saying he is not nearly as bad or terrible as many on here like to say every single game win or lose . Berube is not the one missing penalty shots , shootout chances ,defensive assignments, etc etc etc . If we only win half our shootouts we are right in the playoff hunt , but i guess Berube's needs to work on his toe drag, and his back hand move ?

So technically what your saying is, the coach has no effect on how the team plays? Am I getting that right? Why even have a coach then?

Berube might not take the penalty shots but he is the one that said there was no reason to practice them a few months back. He might not be the one that losses the man in defense but might be the one that plays the 4th line in a situation that they can not win (defensive zone draws).

Coaches make a HUGE difference. Look at last year where Babcock had a team of HALF AHL players and still made playoffs. Coaches matter as much or maybe even more then players in some cases

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
You're wasting your time arguing with him.

If Berube came on the ice and broke both of Giroux's kneecaps with a sledgehammer he'd say that we don't know what happens at practice and that Berube shouldn't be criticized by people who aren't there. None of us have any right to criticize obvious problems and none of us have any clue what we're talking about compared to Mensa member Berube.

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
Its sad to watch G and Voracek out there trying to make something happen and then see Schenn tooling around on the other side of the ice doing absolutely nothing worth while. Schenn has to get into what they're doing on the ice or get another player to be the wing on that line. Schenn offers nothing-too weak where a power forward needs to be strong and he can't skate.

ybnvs

Mar 20, 2014

Maybe, maybe not. Though, they do have an outstanding powerplay unit, a great group of forwards capable of playing well against any team, a PK unit that "can" put it together, and a promising goaltender who might be able to return if the Flyers are playoff bound (I could be wrong about Mason, and that changes a lot of things). You don't need to have a shut-down all star defense to make a deep run. Luck helps a lot, too. Look how far the Rangers made it last year. I don't think anyone expected that kind of run from them at the start of the playoffs (or even leading up to the playoffs). Remember, they played the Flyers in the first round, and some may argue, given Mason's proven abilities, they were "lucky" to not have to face Mason in more games during that series. But then again, look at what goaltenders they beat in subsequent rounds.

Many of you need to stop being so negative regarding the Flyers and this season. Yes there are many and more things to improve upon for next year and for the next game. We are not in a "rebuild" phase, we do not need a top 5 draft pick. We have the up-and-coming promising blue-liners we so "desperately" need in the pipeline. Patience is a virtue. We need the team to click together before we need to not win games for one single draft pick that won't help us for years to come even after our pipeline players come to fruition (hopefully). Compared to back in the day when the game wasn't as technical, skilled, and fast as it is now, and when one or two players could lead a team to great success, chemistry within lines, coaching, and pairings is imperative for success and goes a lot farther than having those two superstars on two different lines. An "average" team composed of mediocrity and a few oddball guys who possess a lot of skill is a great mixture for potential success. So be a real fan, and be happy when the team wins games despite how sloppy or bad they may or may not have played on any given night for those 1-2 points. In the event the Flyers make the playoffs, anything can happen, so try to be proud of the team you support and not so critical. You're a f---ing fan, for crying out loud. You, and everyone else who is *****ing about the Flyers, have no right to be so negatively critical of a team you're SUPPOSE to be supporting. Stop crying. Pessimism is a disease. Seek professional help.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad