Post-Game Talk: #56 | Flyers at Kraken | February 16, 2023

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
As someone who faced this situation thousands and thousands of times, I can't begin to tell you how ignorant this is and for how many reasons this is ignorant. We can all see it from the outside, but imagine you are a journalist (not one of these Twitter jokers or a prick trying to wind him up, but just a normal journalist) with a deadline and a story that you are (more or less) not allowed to file without quotes from the coach. He's standing there being a c*** when just an iota of civility would get him out of there in a minute tops.

Atoadaso. A c*** of the highest order. Not entertaining, not cute - just a c***.

Really wish these beats asked better questions and had the nuts to just push back at him a bit. He's gonna be a dick no matter what, but by now there's a pretty established formula for the types of questions he will answer and the ones that'll just piss him off more. If you reeeeeeaaaaaally want quotes I think "So how does this compare to your last game against the Kraken" isn't gonna get you anything interesting even with a normal well-adjusted coach. But I don't blame the beats for mailing it in, either, no reason not to.

FlyerNutter

In the forest, a man learns what it means to live
Jun 22, 2018
Winnipeg
Really wish these beats asked better questions and had the nuts to just push back at him a bit. He's gonna be a dick no matter what, but by now there's a pretty established formula for the types of questions he will answer and the ones that'll just piss him off more. If you reeeeeeaaaaaally want quotes I think "So how does this compare to your last game against the Kraken" isn't gonna get you anything interesting even with a normal well-adjusted coach. But I don't blame the beats for mailing it in, either, no reason not to.

Thing is. I don’t think they can.

This team imo anyway makes it very clear they don’t like those kind of questions. It’s like a WH press conference no matter the party.

Shit it doesn’t mean much, but even Myrtetus or Bill - who yes are too much of old school fan boys are clearly scared AF to approach the topic of the FO.

This behaviour wouldn’t be so common if the Leafs or Habs had the equivalent of our last decade. Add Boston or NYR to that.

Last edited:

Rich Nixon

Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
Thing is. I don’t think they can.

This team imo anyway makes it very clear they don’t like those kind of questions. It’s like a WH press conference no matter the party.

I'm a little in the weeds here. Nah, I'm not talking "Hey why don't you shit talk management for a bit here's the mic." I just mean like, questions that aren't the reporters' job to answer themselves. They lost the first game by one and the second game by a lot. He's a pissy unhappy prick, he always has his tiffs in response to those obvious ones. If your angle is "tale of two games" comparing the last one, ask specific questions that help deepen that angle or provide additional context--don't ask the pissy professor if he thinks the topic itself is a good idea for an article. Just write your f***in' thing, have some confidence.

I say this as a person who frequently interviewed people underprepared and paid for it with empty jargon and useless quotes as a result. You know the team and the guy you're asking questions of, he'll at least give you something if you set him up with "how do you work to avoid slow starts?" or what the implications are of the goalie change given that they have three on the trip or whatever. The whole "hey, so uh, tell me what I just saw" press conference approach with this prick is so lazy. Now the angle for all of their stories just gets to be "Hockey Man Was Mad" instead of any of them ever having to write an original observation about a game of hockey.

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
If you reeeeeeaaaaaally want quotes I think "So how does this compare to your last game against the Kraken" isn't gonna get you anything interesting even with a normal well-adjusted coach. But I don't blame the beats for mailing it in, either, no reason not to.
This is true. The media has to ask Torts questions that will enlighten the fans as to why they just had to witness the type of play exhibited by the club after having several days with no games. Their job is to figure out what those questions are and to do it in a way that doesn't create a confrontation with the coach.
Obviously Torts was angry when he got to the presser and really didn't want to be there. His team had just shit the bed one more time. He benched a player or two during the game for bad play. These were players that he's had issues with before; doesn't want here but still had to dress for the game. Most likely he has a locker room that is an uncomfortable one. Probably might see some of the players go at it with each other.
It's not a good scene. Then he has to go out and face the media and handle some questions that were mediocre at best. At least he did meet the press and he didn't go full Stan Fischler on them. Not good but it could have been a lot worse.

FlyerNutter

In the forest, a man learns what it means to live
Jun 22, 2018
Winnipeg
I'm a little in the weeds here. Nah, I'm not talking "Hey why don't you shit talk management for a bit here's the mic." I just mean like, questions that aren't the reporters' job to answer themselves. They lost the first game by one and the second game by a lot. He's a pissy unhappy prick, he always has his tiffs in response to those obvious ones. If your angle is "tale of two games" comparing the last one, ask specific questions that help deepen that angle or provide additional context--don't ask the pissy professor if he thinks the topic itself is a good idea for an article. Just write your f***in' thing, have some confidence.

I say this as a person who frequently interviewed people underprepared and paid for it with empty jargon and useless quotes as a result. You know the team and the guy you're asking questions of, he'll at least give you something if you set him up with "how do you work to avoid slow starts?" or what the implications are of the goalie change given that they have three on the trip or whatever. The whole "hey, so uh, tell me what I just saw" press conference approach with this prick is so lazy. Now the angle for all of their stories just gets to be "Hockey Man Was Mad" instead of any of them ever having to write an original observation about a game of hockey.

Fair enough I guess.

I see a sport that’s truly terrified of any sort of scrutiny or accountability in general. All questions are very predictable.

I do see a franchise though, that to me has very much built a culture of ensuring that they aren’t questioned in meaningful ways. Torts is the ultimate Great Wall in that arrangement.

I don’t think a reporter would get very far in terms of keeping access if they started pushing him, whether it was with questions related to the team or the FO.

You might see more willingness to do that in other markets, but it seems very taboo when it comes to the Flyers.

• Wow
Reactions: Beef Invictus

Rich Nixon

Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
This is true. The media has to ask Torts questions that will enlighten the fans as to why they just had to witness the type of play exhibited by the club after having several days with no games. Their job is to figure out what those questions are and to do it in a way that doesn't create a confrontation with the coach.
Obviously Torts was angry when he got to the presser and really didn't want to be there. His team had just shit the bed one more time. He benched a player or two during the game for bad play. These were players that he's had issues with before; doesn't want here but still had to dress for the game. Most likely he has a locker room that is an uncomfortable one. Probably might see some of the players go at it with each other.
It's not a good scene. Then he has to go out and face the media and handle some questions that were mediocre at best. At least he did meet the press and he didn't go full Stan Fischler on them. Not good but it could have been a lot worse.

That's basically it. The point is, Torts sucks, but so do most of these beats. He has to figure out how to do his job in a shitty situation, and so do they. It's the job.

Fair enough I guess.

I see a sport that’s truly terrified of any sort of scrutiny or accountability in general. All questions are very predictable.

I do see a franchise though, that to me has very much built a culture of ensuring that they aren’t questioned in meaningful ways. Torts is the ultimate Great Wall in that arrangement.

I don’t think a reporter would get very far in terms of keeping access if they started pushing him, whether it was with questions related to the team or the FO.

You might see more willingness to do that in other markets, but it seems very taboo when it comes to the Flyers.

Think you're giving them too much credit. They're not the Kremlin, they're a crappy hockey team that's losing interest fast. Don't think they'd cut off the f***ing Inquirer's press credentials because someone took the time to actually write a specific question about goalie rotations or line deployments.

Last edited:
Reactions: renberg

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
But it’s not Torts’ job to pick out the headlines or write the articles for the media. It’s obvious that the club’s play is atrocious because half of this roster doesn’t deserve to play at this level of hockey. Let’s see the media write specifically about that. Then move on to why this drek is here in town and then who chose that slop that’s on the ice and why are they still employed? Do that instead of asking the coach questions that you already know the answers to.

It's his job to be professional. He isn't. He's an asshole. All of the time.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
I remember when it came to wanting Ghost or Sanheim or Giroux to succeed -- whoever but assuredly a good player -- the contrarian brigade would say, "You care more about your little favorites than the team! Well, I'm a fan of the TEAM." Will those hypocrites admit they care more about their favorites, most notably John Tortorella, than the team? Organization is a dumpster fire in the bottom 5-8 pits, worse than ever and with a bleak longterm outlook, but all I see is schoolgirl crushing over Torts. Weird stuff.

kudymen

Hakstok was a fascist clique hiver lickballs.gif
Jun 18, 2011
Atlanta (Decatur)
I remember when it came to wanting Ghost or Sanheim or Giroux to succeed -- whoever but assuredly a good player -- the contrarian brigade would say, "You care more about your little favorites than the team! Well, I'm a fan of the TEAM." Will those hypocrites admit they care more about their favorites, most notably John Tortorella, than the team? Organization is a dumpster fire in the bottom 5-8 pits, worse than ever and with a bleak longterm outlook, but all I see is schoolgirl crushing over Torts. Weird stuff.

Bang on. :eek::eek::eek::eek: shitty hypocrites and they act like they have the high ground. Pathetic.

bennysflyers16

Jan 26, 2004
I’m happy with the Flyers progress.

They have exceeded my expectations with both Couturier & Atkinson out.

I like their youth/incoming youth.

They have improved. A lot. They’re in a much better place than last year.

Much Much better, 3 whole spots and dropping.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
I’m happy with the Flyers progress.

They have exceeded my expectations with both Couturier & Atkinson out.

I like their youth/incoming youth.

They have improved. A lot. They’re in a much better place than last year.

You said if the team was in this position, you would want Fletcher fired. Guess you lied about that.

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
That’s not saying much.
But it could be a step in the right direction. We all want the Flyers to succeed and are tired of the direction that this franchise has been going over the last decade. At least Torts bucks the course that Fletcher and the Dinos are on. So I support Tortorella. Just maybe he can kick up enough dust so that the real higher ups will notice and see that Fletcher and his crowd need to go in order for the organization to succeed in the future.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
But it could be a step in the right direction. We all want the Flyers to succeed and are tired of the direction that this franchise has been going over the last decade. At least Torts bucks the course that Fletcher and the Dinos are on. So I support Tortorella. Just maybe he can kick up enough dust so that the real higher ups will notice and see that Fletcher and his crowd need to go in order for the organization to succeed in the future.

Tortorella is just a coach & likely isn’t even with the team if/when they crawl out of this hole they’re in.

Chicken N Raffls

Here for the chaos and lolz
Nov 7, 2022
Douglassville

I can buy that TORTS and Chuck don't see eye to eye, especially on player evaluation. But I have a hard time believing that there is much difference philosophically between him and the Ancients. They love that hard work, earn it nonsense. I think the idea of TORTS forcing a rebuild or shake up of the FO begins and ends with Chuck getting promoted and Danny B getting the job. I'd love to be wrong, but that's about the only change I can realistically hope for, and when I say realistically hope...right now I wouldn't be surprised if Chuck is making trading the Flyers draft picks in June.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train

How does he buck their course? The dude lives in 2012. He's a different version of them.

DAVIDE1333

Dec 22, 2019
The enemy of my enemy is not always my friend.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad