Post-Game Talk: #55 | FLYERS 4 at Coyotes 3 (2-1 shootout) | Sat., Feb. 10 2018, 8:00 pm ET; Elliott injury update

David St Hubbins

Well, you're not as confused as he is.
Jan 24, 2016
Deskfront, facing WSW
I think “solid” is a bit of an overstatement on AMac but he is certainly alone in that middle tier between “Very Good” and “FFS”. Call it mediocre or passable for a 5-6.

Desperately need to get Sanheim up and get him in the games, either paired with Gudas or (God forgive me for typing this) AMac. Hagg needs a breather. Seriously, he’s hit the wall and could really benefit from watching a few games from upstairs.

As for Manning, I can deal with him being a crappy player. But is it too much to ask that he be able to tell the defensive LEFT side from the RIGHT?

Reactions: Rebels57

BritainStix

F**k Cutter Gauthier
Oct 20, 2016
I'm sorry but Farmer is one, if not the worst defenseman in the NHL. He isn't good positionally, he is the weakest D man on the boards, he is a constant turnover machine and he is pretty horrific with his stick. He gets hit with the puck an awful lot because he plays the PK. Another aspect of the game in which he is terrible.

He has no redeeming quality as an NHL defenseman, he's 31 years old. He isn't going to improve. He's massively overpaid as a 6th defenseman by at least 3 million dollars. The trouble is, we have a coach who doesn't have a single clue about how to manage defenseman, as he has proven at the college level.

As I've said before, when no other NHL team in the league wants him for free, then he shouldn't be on a play-off chasing team.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
I find it interesting how so many of the same (justified) complaints used against certain players apply to others but aren't used as often.

JXC

#ThisAintXbox #ThisAintMightyDucks #FireHakstol
Dec 28, 2005
Konecny had a weird game which showed both why he's going to be a star and why he isn't one yet - blew two great scoring chances by bad passes instead of shooting, then blew a shot from 15 feet by getting excited and trying to shoot too hard, broke his stick and missed the net. In OT, he almost won the game and lost the game in the space of a few seconds. His talent sets up opportunities, his immaturity blows them. The first should improve even further as he physically matures over the next couple years, the latter should dissipate as he gets experience.

Worth looking forward to!!!

Reactions: onlylordsvsmorebp

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
MacDonald would be claimed off waivers now a days. Not that I agree with it but the NHL as a whole is so outdated in their narrative based philosophies the Flyers included. The clamor for artificial safe players who in reality do nothing to contribute towards winning & mostly you’re just hoping they don’t screw you. Once you get labeled something in this league for better or worse & it doesn’t matter if you completely defy it or not.

This is the same league that penny pushes with it’s top players while happily overpaying their low to mid class players two-three times their actual worth. The top player in the league just recently got pressured to take a million or two less per year so his GM can continue to overpay other players not nearly worth it.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
MacDonald would be claimed off waivers now a days. Not that I agree with it but the NHL as a whole is so outdated in their narrative based philosophies the Flyers included. The clamor for artificial safe players who in reality do nothing to contribute towards winning & mostly you’re just hoping they don’t screw you. Once you get labeled something in this league for better or worse & it doesn’t matter if you completely defy it or not.

This is the same league that penny pushes with it top players while happily overpaying their low to mid class players two-three times their actual worth. The top player in the league just recently got pressured to take a million or two less per year so his GM can continue to overpay other players not nearly worth it.

No chance in hell with his contract.

I'm sure there are teams dumb enough to think he's a capable defensemen, but they can't also be dumb enough to think he is worth even half of his horrifying contract.

Reactions: Tripod

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Well, just look at Montreal and Arizona to see what happens when you don't play it safe.
Wide open offenses don't get you to the playoffs and certainly don't get you far in the playoffs.

There's a balance, but it's easier to teach a mediocre talent how to play a disciplined, conservative game and not be a total liability, than to teach a mediocre talent how to keep up with superior talents in a wide open game.

Watching OEL last night, talent without hockey IQ is simply a waste, he skates well but he's "full of skate and fury, scoring nothing."

Flyerfan4life

Jun 9, 2010
Richmond BC, Canada
Gudas has looked shaky for one reason, and one reason only:

HE PLAYS WITH BRANDON MANNING.

Trade Meatshield for an Arby's gift card, call-up Sanheim, and reap the rewards.

it happens to every person who plays with meatpig.... the guy just drags down everybody...

can we plz just fire him off into space for christs sake...

FrustratedFlyer

Feb 4, 2018
it happens to every person who plays with meatpig.... the guy just drags down everybody...

can we plz just fire him off into space for christs sake...

I've already sent Musk a request but he's not replied yet. There was an opening on that damned Tesla for driver and co-pilot and it was just perfect for the Farmer and Manning but we missed the opportunity :-(

Reactions: Rebels57

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
No chance in hell with his contract.

I'm sure there are teams dumb enough to think he's a capable defensemen, but they can't also be dumb enough to think he is worth even half of his horrifying contract.

You’re really underestimating how dumb most of the GM’s in this league are. He’s got two years left at $5M per year after this one. That’s manageable if you think the player is one of quality which most probably do.

When he was put on waivers he was only 1 year in on a 6 year deal & that was when the cap chrunch stared taking place with the Canadian dollar tanking. The Flyers have since then done a great job of building up the narrative that he’s some great player (unintentionally I may add) which matters as well.

Reactions: Lindberg

CapnZin

Jul 20, 2017
Sweden
What are you watching though?

Amac hasn't really been that bad. He's someone that we're all overly critical of, rightfully so, but he's been making good defensive plays, and he's been blocking a lot of shots... he typically does that, but recently he's seemed to play well.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
MacDonald has been getting gashed in every metric possible of late which isn’t out of the ordinary for him. Blocked shots are meaningless when you’re spending as much time defending in your own zone like MacDonald has/does.

It’s the plays that he doesn’t make that makes him just as bad as the ones he tries to make. Even when he’s not overhandling the puck & making poor decisions he’s still a death by a thousand cuts type of player.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Amac hasn't really been that bad. He's someone that we're all overly critical of, rightfully so, but he's been making good defensive plays, and he's been blocking a lot of shots... he typically does that, but recently he's seemed to play well.

I get that you're saying that but I also know that you're wrong.

He's been horrid ever since being separated from Provorov.

Really not sure what you're watching out there. Maybe it's because when paired with Hagg he is the best defender on that pair so it makes him look better to some by comparison. They both suck out loud though; especially together.

Reactions: Tripod

CapnZin

Jul 20, 2017
Sweden
I get that you're saying that but I also know that you're wrong.

He's been horrid ever since being separated from Provorov.

Really not sure what you're watching out there. Maybe it's because when paired with Hagg he is the best defender on that pair so it makes him look better to some by comparison. They both suck out loud though; especially together.

I'm not saying he's good, I'd be lying if I did... he's just playing a decent stretch of hockey these past couple games.

BobbyClarkeFan16

Nov 29, 2005
Goderich, Ontario
Well, just look at Montreal and Arizona to see what happens when you don't play it safe.
Wide open offenses don't get you to the playoffs and certainly don't get you far in the playoffs.

There's a balance, but it's easier to teach a mediocre talent how to play a disciplined, conservative game and not be a total liability, than to teach a mediocre talent how to keep up with superior talents in a wide open game.

Watching OEL last night, talent without hockey IQ is simply a waste, he skates well but he's "full of skate and fury, scoring nothing."

So OEL goes from being one of the best defensemen in the game to someone with a great skill set and no hockey IQ. I guess the fact that Arizona is pretty much an AHL team that he's had to carry on his back has nothing to do with it. Good to know.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
When was he one of the best defensemen in the game?
His best ES scoring season was 28, Provorov has 25 as a rookie.
He's not a great possession guy, defensive guy, etc.
He looks good, pads his offensive stats on the PP, but OEL has never been a dominant player.
You can make the case that he has regressed from solid 2nd/3rd seasons at age 20-21.

PP points tend to cause players to be overrated, because they inflate your total scoring, but the best defensemen do it all.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad