Post-Game Talk: #55 | FLYERS 4 at Coyotes 3 (2-1 shootout) | Sat., Feb. 10 2018, 8:00 pm ET; Elliott injury update

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
Sponsor
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida
That was me back in October, and it was more an act of random and unmerited smartassery than a relocation jab. And my money's still on Quebec.

Quebec could happen to the Coyotes if Barroway basically threw the league for a loop at short notice, kind of like what happened with the Thrashers relocating just about "overnight" to Winnipeg. They're basically the safe landing spot for any team (including the Coyotes). If notice is given that isn't just about overnight, the new Houston Rockets owner seems interested in owning an NHL team (unlike the old guy who just got replaced), and would probably make a move to buy the team. The NHL would obviously prefer a local buyer to keep the Coyotes in Arizona, but if the team were up for sale without short notice, they'd leave open bidding for a significant amount of time. I'd bet on both the Rockets owner and Quebecor bidding to buy the Coyotes if they went up for sale, say, next January or so, and if no local buyer came up (which would probably be the case), they'd approve the sale to the Rockets owner, and their relocation to Houston, and give Quebec the middle finger for about the 123489173491387th time.

Reactions: SnS

Brayden Fattison

Mar 4, 2013
Quebec could happen to the Coyotes if Barroway basically threw the league for a loop at short notice, kind of like what happened with the Thrashers relocating just about "overnight" to Winnipeg. They're basically the safe landing spot for any team (including the Coyotes). If notice is given that isn't just about overnight, the new Houston Rockets owner seems interested in owning an NHL team (unlike the old guy who just got replaced), and would probably make a move to buy the team. The NHL would obviously prefer a local buyer to keep the Coyotes in Arizona, but if the team were up for sale without short notice, they'd leave open bidding for a significant amount of time. I'd bet on both the Rockets owner and Quebecor bidding to buy the Coyotes if they went up for sale, say, next January or so, and if no local buyer came up (which would probably be the case), they'd approve the sale to the Rockets owner, and their relocation to Houston, and give Quebec the middle finger for about the 123489173491387th time.
I forgot about Tilman Fertitta buying the Rockets. I could see Bettman drooling over getting the NHL its own Mark Cuban type.

Foggy14

Sep 13, 2017
Izq28lY.gif

Well, that was interesting.

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
Sponsor
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida
I forgot about Tilman Fertitta buying the Rockets. I could see Bettman drooling over getting the NHL its own Mark Cuban type.

Yeah, that's the main reason I consider Houston to be the likely relocation target of the Coyotes, now that Seattle is pretty much guaranteed to get an expansion team rather than a relocated team (which probably would have been the Coyotes in all honesty - I'd be heartbroken if the Coyotes left, but if we were to rank all the teams by "likelihood to relocate" then the Coyotes are #1 by a long shot). Kansas City could take an NHL team but the owners of the Sprint Center seem to not want a team for... reasons I don't understand; I've just kind of accepted that as fact and could be wrong.

BackToTheBrierePatch

Justice for Cricket
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire

Hey now only 1 person is allowed here yo write novels for posts :sarcasm:

Last edited:
Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

Brayden Fattison

Mar 4, 2013
I'd be heartbroken if the Coyotes left, but if we were to rank all the teams by "likelihood to relocate" then the Coyotes are #1 by a long shot).
It's a shame; I always had a soft spot for the 'Yotes and Avs, but tonight's attendance doesn't bode well for long term sustainability. Still not as bad as Carolina.
Kansas City could take an NHL team but the owners of the Sprint Center seem to not want a team for... reasons I don't understand; I've just kind of accepted that as fact and could be wrong.
They're probably waiting for the Penguins to suck again. That's rightfully their team.

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
Sponsor
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida
It's a shame; I always had a soft spot for the 'Yotes and Avs, but tonight's attendance doesn't bode well for long term sustainability. Still not as bad as Carolina.

They're probably waiting for the Penguins to suck again. That's rightfully their team.

It doesn't, and that sucks for me personally, but it's reality.

Carolina at least just got a new owner who's rich enough to hemorrhage money for several years. Andrew Barroway just bought out the other partners to become sole owner of the Coyotes, and there are already reports that he's struggling to make payroll. He's going to flip the franchise pretty soon and I have my doubts that it'll be to a local buyer.

OzFlyers

Registered Boozer
Jul 3, 2011
Australia
Good to scrape out a win but they made it harder then it should have been. Gudas has not looked good since coming back from the suspension.

Reactions: Tripod

BillDineen

Former Flyer / Extinct Dinosaur Advisor
Aug 9, 2009
Patrick! So slick. They should have won in regulation though. TK turning down 2 open net shots and brutal turnovers by Ghost, Provorov and Gudas that led to two of the goals (Provorov's didn't).

Hak had his golden moment of course, with 5 minutes left and Voracek in possession in the offensive zone and he sends out the Filp line and predictably, Weise messes up the pass in the slot. Even a amateur coach wouldn't have sent that line out then, just pure stupidity.

Hopefully Elliott is ok.

Last edited:

dats81

Jan 22, 2011
Carinthia, AUT
Win is a win so yay playoffs- but:

Can't be happy with this. Possession game was at points disgusting. Playing our 3rd line (Lehtera/Filp/Weise) with less than 2 minutes left is atrocious coaching.

I do like Hagg... he's reliable, but he's starting to play real real real real bad as of late. Flinging the puck out of the zone works if you don't hit every ****ing skate/stick/and or player.

These stretch passes haven't worked all game, yet no change occurred. Gudas was benched most of the 3rd and Manning along with Hagg got more minutes. MacDonald has been playing well though. This defense needs a revamp.

They also need to work on turnovers badly.

Is it just me or does Gudas look off at times this season? Not just that he doesn't throw those crushing hits that often anymore but his passing and shooting are much worse than last season. I wonder if he is nursing an injury are just having a rough stretch. The same guy that looked like a solid #4 is now closer to a shaky #6/#7.
Sanheim over Manning on that pairing would really change the look of that pairing though.

BillDineen

Former Flyer / Extinct Dinosaur Advisor
Aug 9, 2009
Is it just me or does Gudas look off at times this season? Not just that he doesn't throw those crushing hits that often anymore but his passing and shooting are much worse than last season. I wonder if he is nursing an injury are just having a rough stretch. The same guy that looked like a solid #4 is now closer to a shaky #6/#7.
Sanheim over Manning on that pairing would really change the look of that pairing though.

Gudas was so much better last season. Maybe the newborn at home? Hopefully he is better next year. He and Sanheim did good together though.

Reactions: Foggy14

boxcar65

Sep 24, 2007
Richmond, VA
A couple of observations:

1. Everyone falls on the ice occasionally. Rinaldo’s shot was so heavy that the breeze from it knocked Manning down. It happens. Oh, and that goal was 100% on Elliott. Should have made the save.

2. Manning has looked better than Gudas overall this season. People talk about the Sanheim/Gudas pairing, but Sanheim/Manning also looked fine in limited minutes. Yes, he should be up right now.

3. Dale Weise is back, baby!! Not really.

4. If the boys sleepwalk like that tonight, Vegas is going to shellack us.

5. Is there anyone else in the organization we can call up other than Lyon??

BritainStix

F**k Cutter Gauthier
Oct 20, 2016
Pretty horrific game from Manning, Gudas, Hagg and Farmer. Please for the love of god can we demote one and get Sandy on the club.

Reactions: bennysflyers16

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Funny what DOESN'T get mentioned.

Ghost was horrible on the first goal, I mean if Manning made a play that bad, there would be 100 posts on it. Redeemed himself later, but geez.
Gudas has been as bad or worse than the three D-men you like to excoriate on a regular basis, he's really regressed, bad turnover leading to a goal.
Of course, Elliott made it worse with his Swiss Cheese goaltending, though he did make some key saves later in the game.

Konecny had a weird game which showed both why he's going to be a star and why he isn't one yet - blew two great scoring chances by bad passes instead of shooting, then blew a shot from 15 feet by getting excited and trying to shoot too hard, broke his stick and missed the net. In OT, he almost won the game and lost the game in the space of a few seconds. His talent sets up opportunities, his immaturity blows them. The first should improve even further as he physically matures over the next couple years, the latter should dissipate as he gets experience.

Voracek taketh scoring opportunities, and giveth them away.

Patrick is clearly getting healthy, night and day over December, like I said, if he had been 100% his pre-draft season he'd have easily been #1 over Nico.
He has the entire package, give him a summer to finally get into shape and add strength and improve his skating and we're talking an elite talent. And yeah, look at his minutes, now look at Filppula's minutes the last couple weeks, you play what you have on the roster.

You don't like the scheme? Arizona tempted them to get out of their defensive scheme and run and gun for 50 minutes, then they tightened up the defense and lo and behold, outshot Arizona 16-4 the third period and absolutely dominated - but couldn't buy a goal because of Raanta (who is a free agent, problem with him is he's an above average goalie who can't stay healthy, been there, done that).

Arizona like Montreal, has some fast skilled players, but they're horribly coached, no structure.
And just say no to OEL, he's a top talent but a mediocre player and I suspect he's not amenable to hard coaching at this point in his career.

Reactions: CapnZin

CapnZin

Jul 20, 2017
Sweden

Half of our defense has been especially shaky this past month in Gudas, Manning, and Hagg. Earlier they were fine, but they seem to have trouble keeping up.

Gudas has completely gone away from his style last year. You're right in that he may be injured. Maybe he isn't playing physically anymore because anytime he throws a hit he gets suspended. Manning can't play defense or well hockey for that matter. Hagg can't get the puck out of the zone and decides to be the 2 on the 2-1-2 leaving Weal/Raffl/Laughton to go back and defend which Laughton can handle his own, but that's just bad habit having Hagg contribute in the forechecking.

Amac surprisingly has been solid. He's actually ve playing pretty well. Provy is a monster and so is ghost.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Half of our defense has been especially shaky this past month in Gudas, Manning, and Hagg. Earlier they were fine, but they seem to have trouble keeping up.

Gudas has completely gone away from his style last year. You're right in that he may be injured. Maybe he isn't playing physically anymore because anytime he throws a hit he gets suspended. Manning can't play defense or well hockey for that matter. Hagg can't get the puck out of the zone and decides to be the 2 on the 2-1-2 leaving Weal/Raffl/Laughton to go back and defend which Laughton can handle his own, but that's just bad habit having Hagg contribute in the forechecking.

Amac surprisingly has been solid. He's actually ve playing pretty well. Provy is a monster and so is ghost.

What are you watching though?

Reactions: Tripod

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad