Prospect Info: 54th Overall - Jack Peart

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Rather trade prospect for prospect; Peart for a center or a rightie.
We’ve now got Faber, Spacek, Addison, Masters as RHD.

It’s premature to think of trading Peart because of a worry that he might not sign with us in two years. Most players will want to sign ASAP, and not take the chances with their career. If you do decide to move him, you do it at the last moment, when he will, more than likely, have his highest value. Right now, you’d get a second …. maybe a C prospect like Bankier at best.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
We’ve now got Faber, Spacek, Addison, Masters as RHD.

It’s premature to think of trading Peart because of a worry that he might not sign with us in two years. Most players will want to sign ASAP, and not take the chances with their career. If you do decide to move him, you do it at the last moment, when he will, more than likely, have his highest value. Right now, you’d get a second …. maybe a C prospect like Bankier at best.
He's a leftie. I didn't think he played on the right.

Bdub

Mar 27, 2021
Peart is a soild player so far, but so many top out quick.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Watched a lot of him yesterday v ND, after watching him a couple of weeks against Denver. Kind of a boring player, albeit a good one. Made one mistake that led to a GA, but it was kind of unlucky, asnd nothing to get concerned about, IMO. Skating sticks out as vg, though I wish he'd use it more. Nice, crisp, smart passes, and seems to make good decisions with the puck - much better than your average college player. Seems to be a decent or better puck handler...fumbles the puck way less than most college players. VG defending, with excellent mobility. Average sized, but seems strong on his feet. Plays on the second PP unit.

There seems to be a shock collar attached to him that triggers when he does anything remotely interesting offensively. Maybe there is just no there, there, but with his wheels and puck skills I'd like to see him open things up a bit more, and not play so conservatively. He reminds me of a less gifted(defensively) Brodin, at this point.

It remains to be seen if his game will transfer to higher levels. It's possible that his lack of strength and size might be a problem, even though it is fine for college. His skating looks NHL ready, to me, and i like his simple passing game. Needs to be in the AHL next year to see what we've got in him, unless his game blossoms later this year. I was hoping that he was going to be a LH version of Faber, but at this point he looks more like Ryan Johnson.

Last edited:

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
He’s never been a human eraser like Faber. Faber dominated in NCAA and has proven to be the same guy in the NHL.

If he makes it in the NHL, it will be as a Goligoski or Paul Martin type who moves the puck and can skate out of trouble. He won’t be as good as them, but I still expect him to better than any of the Hunt, ROR, Lambos trio

Reactions: Obvious Fabertism

Obvious Fabertism

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2009
MN
Watched a lot of him yesterday v ND, after watching him a couple of weeks against Denver. Kind of a boring player, albeit a good one. Made one mistake that led to a GA, but it was kind of unlucky, asnd nothing to get concerned about, IMO. Skating sticks out as vg, though I wish he'd use it more. Nice, crisp, smart passes, and seems to make good decisions with the puck - much better than your average college player. Seems to be a decent or better puck handler...fumbles the puck way less than most college players. VG defending, with excellent mobility. Average sized, but seems strong on his feet. Plays on the second PP unit.

There seems to be a shock collar attached to him that triggers when he does anything remotely interesting offensively. Maybe there is just no there, there, but with his wheels and puck skills I'd like to see him open things up a bit more, and not play so conservatively. He reminds me of a less gifted(defensively) Brodin, at this point.

It remains to be seen if his game will transfer to higher levels. It's possible that his lack of strength and size might be a problem, even though it is fine for college. His skating looks NHL ready, to me, and i like his simple passing game. Needs to be in the AHL next year to see what we've got in him, unless his game blossoms later this year. I was hoping that he was going to be a LH version of Faber, but at this point he looks more like Ryan Johnson.
I have seen strong offensive creativity from him in the past where I am not very concerned about college point totals. Like Faber, it may just take some NHL structure to bring that aspect of his game out, he’s primarily a transition player in my eyes, and smart with takeaways, which I think will play well as he transitions to Pro.

Reactions: MNRube

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
I think Marat & Peart should both have been in Iowa this year. I don’t blame them for doing their own thing, but it feels like their respective development has stalled a bit.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
I think Marat & Peart should both have been in Iowa this year. I don’t blame them for doing their own thing, but it feels like their respective development has stalled a bit.

Peart would probably be in the ECHL this year if he had signed. Hunt and ROR had the AHL experience. Lambos is a 1st round pick. These 3 would be ahead of him in the lineup.

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
Peart would probably be in the ECHL this year if he had signed. Hunt and ROR had the AHL experience. Lambos is a 1st round pick. These 3 would be ahead of him in the lineup.
they wouldve just tried someone on their off-side before they send a useful asset to the ECHL. Would hardly be the first time a team has uneven LHS & RHS on the blueline. Its not like Peart was an UDFA, he was a 2nd round pick and a lot of scouts have been super high on him. Definitely more so than ROR & Hunt.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
they wouldve just tried someone on their off-side before they send a useful asset to the ECHL. Would hardly be the first time a team has uneven LHS & RHS on the blueline. Its not like Peart was an UDFA, he was a 2nd round pick and a lot of scouts have been super high on him. Definitely more so than ROR & Hunt.

Peart was 54oa, Hunt was 65oa, ROR was 39oa. Draft position doesn't matter much between these 3. Peart/Lambos are also from the COVID lost season draft class. The predraft rankings had ROR, Hunt, and Peart all very similar (ROR was the highest projected pick of the 3).

Hunt got the nod for the NHL callup. ROR has been playing higher in the lineup than Lambos all season. Iowa also has Mermis, S.Jo, Masters, Spacek, and their own AHL contract guys to play RD.

MN has 9 d-men (8 drafted, 1 trade) that are currently in their 20 or 21 yo season. Only 1 (Faber) has separated himself from the pack. I can't really even separate the LD in the system from each other. They are all the same quality overall, just different strengths weaknesses.

It's not looking to be any better next year either because it'll be hard for anyone to break into the NHL lineup with how the NHL player contracts are setup. I think there is a good chance Peart is lost as a college grad FA after next season. There is just no clear path for him to advance with the Wild.

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
I think there is a good chance Peart is lost as a college grad FA after next season.
I agree on this part, and it’s a shame because he’s clearly a better prospect than ROR & Hunt IMO. Lambos too, but I’ll admit that his draft pedigree should lend a bit a more patience.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
I agree on this part, and it’s a shame because he’s clearly a better prospect than ROR & Hunt IMO. Lambos too, but I’ll admit that his draft pedigree should lend a bit a more patience.

My thought is that the #oneofus is strong with Peart; which I've seen happen a lot on the forums over the years. But I see no separation between any of the LD prospects, let alone a clearly better prospect.

Draft pedigree is all Lambos has going for him; which is what I've said for for awhile now.

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
My thought is that the #oneofus is strong with Peart;
If anything it is the opposite. People said the same thing this summer during the whole Faber discussion. And previously when we were rumored to be in on Middlestadt and Boeser.

Some people are just shit at projecting NHL talent

Reactions: Sota Popinski

Wabit

May 23, 2016
If anything it is the opposite. People said the same thing this summer during the whole Faber discussion. And previously when we were rumored to be in on Middlestadt and Boeser.

Some people are just shit at projecting NHL talent

I'd still take Mitts. I think he would have developed quicker/better if he was on a different team. BUF has messed up a lot of their prospects. Boeser I thought was just a 1 trick pony, and I still don't like his overall game.

I still think Faber starts the season in the AHL this year if he was a LD. He wouldn't have played in the Playoffs last year and would be blocked by NHL contracts this year. He has the opportunity to play because Addison wasn't good and Dumba walked. That opportunity isn't there on the left side with Brodin, Middleton, Merrill, and Goli. This is the roadblock all the LD prospects face.

Players need an opportunity and then grab it and not let go. Faber took advantage of his where players like Beckman, Walker, and Rossi (last year) didn't. Boldy didn't get an opportunity right out of college and went to the AHL. He got injured in camp the next year and spent even more time in the AHL before finally getting a callup.

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
I still think Faber starts the season in the AHL this year if he was a LD. He wouldn't have played in the Playoffs last year and would be blocked by NHL contracts this year. He has the opportunity to play because Addison wasn't good and Dumba walked. That opportunity isn't there on the left side with Brodin, Middleton, Merrill, and Goli. This is the roadblock all the LD prospects face
Brodin plays both sides. Merrill and Goli have both done it as well. Also where is it written that you need 3 RHD & 3 LHD? Is Ryan Suter running things?

Faber was never starting in Iowa. His game was obviously NHL ready as a Gopher, Olympian and in his short stint last year.

You can’t say the same about the trio in Iowa. The only roadblocks they are facing are themselves

Faber was only perceived that way around here because people wanted him to run the PP in college, or they thought his proponents were blind homers. Turns out Lacombe is a hell of a player too and maybe Motzko didn’t quite know what we had.

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018

Puck game just isn’t there enough to be more than a bottom pair guy

north21

May 1, 2014
MN
His offense seems to have taken a step back this year but that is just stat watching. If he can skate and play d at the next level is more important.

Sota Popinski

Registered Boozer
Sponsor
Apr 26, 2017
Minneapolis
From what I heard, the Wild wanted Peart back at SCSU. I doubt he was "doing his own thing."

I'm still optimistic that Peart becomes a full-time NHL Wild member. His numbers aren't impressive but the Huskies top D-man Anhorn is over 4 years older. Peart isn't even 21 yet.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Looks like he's signing. Russo just put out an article.

ROR, Hunt, Lambos, Peart on the left...Simon Jo, Spacek, and Masters on the right. Prolly need a veteran to help those guys out. Will be interesting to see how it plays out.

I think ROR is the veteran at this point for Iowa, he has 160 game now in the AHL. Not ideal, but the d-corps has 6 players (and 1 RFA) in the NHL signed for next year. The AHL has 6 (and 1 RFA) signed for next year.

There's probably 1 more d-man on the reserve list I'm forgetting about that could be signed.

Reactions: 57special

Jbcraig1883

Mar 31, 2002
Virginia
I think ROR is the veteran at this point for Iowa, he has 160 game now in the AHL. Not ideal, but the d-corps has 6 players (and 1 RFA) in the NHL signed for next year. The AHL has 6 (and 1 RFA) signed for next year.

There's probably 1 more d-man on the reserve list I'm forgetting about that could be signed.
It has been clear that not having Mermis or someone of that ilk around is an issue with the young D corp. I sure hope they don't rely on ROR to be the "vet".

I get your point - just sayin' that I don't think it's good for development.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad