GDT: #54| St. Louis Blues @ New York Islanders | January 25th | 1:00pm | F/SOL 4-3

Isles1

Nov 8, 2010
Nassau County, L.I.
As anyone who plays the game, he is in the high slot and has no idea who is behind him; if a Blue lifted his stick from behind and took the puck away while he was taking his time to get the puck out of the zone, everyone here would have been all over him, screaming: "what were you waiting for!" He sensed heat around him, and sent the puck down.

I have, and understood. But Regin is a pro, he's not playing in juniors. I don't agree in him taking his time out of the zone, he could have easily made a better decision there by taking a shot to put the game away with a little effort, especially with the little time remaining, and the "outstanding" season he is having thus far.

Last edited:

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
I don't agree with this, and while I despise Regin and have wanted him off the roster since September as his awful play has cost the Isles dearly before, on this specific play he was not at fault.

As anyone who plays the game, he is in the high slot and has no idea who is behind him; if a Blue lifted his stick from behind and took the puck away while he was taking his time to get the puck out of the zone, everyone here would have been all over him, screaming: "what were you waiting for!" He sensed heat around him, and sent the puck down.

Could he have just lifted the puck sky-high so that it would not have reached the backboards, perhaps but his view on the ice is not the same as ours' on TV with a view 75 foot above where we can see the whole ice.

As usual, this pathetic loss is totally on the awful coaching staff, and the only reason that capuano still has a job is that Wang has clearly ordered Snow not to fire him no matter what, because he is unwilling to pay an NHL-level quality coach's salary. At this point I believe that we could lose every game for the rest of the season, and Capuano would still not be fired.

He panicked with the puck, didn't look, and turned it over. Careful what you accuse fellow hockey players of doing, btw, because most of us were told by at least one coach not to do that.

islescoop

Jul 24, 2011
Someone posted that the guy in Toronto in charge of the call was a former Blue and Ranger. Even posted his wikepedia page. Not sure if any of it was accurate. But my question is simple - Why the hell would the NHL have a guy making the final call on goal/no goal with ANY specific NHL team allegiance??? They can't find one guy that hasn't coached, played or GM'd for an NHL team to do that?

Hipietro

Sep 3, 2006
Long Island
I've never been so angry about officials in my life. You can say "Oh we gave up a lead, Blues outplayed us, etc" **** that, we got robbed. That's a goal and I don't know what the **** these people in Toronto are doing but they ****ing suck.

Knowing our luck we'll miss the playoffs by a point.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
The Regin play shouldn't be over looked.

He fired it down the ice. It like like he could have skated it out or atleast dumped it down. The call screwed us but really we need to stop blowing these leads. If we won half the games we had leads in the third that we blown we would be close to if not in the playoff picture.

Dutch Frost

Battle Level
Mar 12, 2010
Queens, NY

He fired it down the ice. It like like he could have skated it out or atleast dumped it down. The call screwed us but really we need to stop blowing these leads. If we won half the games we had leads in the third that we blown we would be close to if not in the playoff picture.

If we won every game that we blew we would be 2nd in the division right now and 4th in the conference.

BTrotts19

May 17, 2013
LI, NY

I've said it before and I'll say it again, we need to bring in veterans from winning organizations, not guys who panic and fear making a play. Worst case scenario was he got it out of the zone to the red line and missed the net. Kills more time, they have to reset their offense on the fly and could have changed up our defense if they were tired. Teams who "know how to win" instill in their players this quality that loser organizations don't. Not to say every player on Chicago, Boston, LA etc will always make the play, but the guys who will be out at the end of a game almost always will. Wang & Snow, stop signing minimum salary losers to fill the roster. Bring in winners, it will make your job eaier (Snow) and get you more money (Wang).

MartyC

Jul 15, 2013
My Very first post.
I'm a fan since i'm 10 years old. 41 years I have rooted for this team.
N Y Isles never got respect from this league even after they were 4 time Stanley Cup Champions and they change the final Format to 2-3-2 .
"distinct kicking motion" is as explicit as a rule can state.
This was in no way a distinct kicking motion.
At this point I want either OR BOTH my Owner and My GM to Scream to the high heavens, I want them to contact all the media outlets and lobby for this to not just get forgotten.
This league will never rise higher than the Joke it is unless it openly admits its mistakes LIKE EVERY OTHER PRO LEAGUE. I want the official suspended and the Islanders to get an Apology from this league. It is hard enough to watch this team but to be openly screwed like this I can't endure.
Love to read this board and appreciate all who contribute and bleed like I do for my team.
Never been so upset , not after '83, not after hunter, not after Darcy. this is the worst.

mutts

May 3, 2009
Someone posted that the guy in Toronto in charge of the call was a former Blue and Ranger. Even posted his wikepedia page. Not sure if any of it was accurate. But my question is simple - Why the hell would the NHL have a guy making the final call on goal/no goal with ANY specific NHL team allegiance??? They can't find one guy that hasn't coached, played or GM'd for an NHL team to do that?

Mike Murphy and Kris King.
Murphy was both a Blue and a Ranger.
King was not a Blue, but a Ranger, yes.

As NHL vice-president of hockey operations, Murphy was forced to make a tough call during game three of the first round of the 2010 Stanley Cup. Murphy disallowed what was first ruled as a 3-4 goal on the ice for the Vancouver Canucks against Murphy's former team, the Los Angeles Kings. The incident is one of many that has called for greater NHL transparency from the public.[1] The official ruling stated that, "Video Review was used to determine whether the puck was kicked into the net by Vancouver's Daniel Sedin with a kicking motion. Upon review, it was determined that the puck was propelled into the net by a kicking motion. This was not a deflection. The direction the puck was moving and the force of the skate were the determining factors in concluding 'no goal'".[2] According to rule 49.2 of the NHL, "A puck that is directed into the net by an attacking player’s skate shall be a legitimate goal as long as no distinct kicking motion is evident."[3] Later, in an interview with CBC Hockey Night in Canada, Murphy admitted that the puck was not kicked in a "distinct kicking motion", as the official NHL rules require, yet Murphy maintained his position on the judgement.[2]

Kristopher King (born February 18, 1966 in Bracebridge, Ontario) is a former Canadian NHL hockey player. He played 14 seasons in the NHL for the Detroit Red Wings, New York Rangers, Winnipeg Jets, Phoenix Coyotes, Toronto Maple Leafs, and the Chicago Blackhawks. He won the King Clancy Memorial Trophy in 1996.

Kris King now works for the National Hockey League as Senior Vice President of Hockey Operations for NHL's central office in Toronto.

The Underboss

Dec 20, 2006
Florida
Kerry fraser says refs were right, TO Was WRONG

Looks like kerry fraser's next article will be this goal:

via twitter:

Reasonable to expect contact to Vanek's back by Steen altered his body position & forward motion toward the net. Confusing 4 sure?
"Very slight" move toward goal by Vanek's left skate in a rotational spin but not "distinct kicking motion" in ref's or my opinion.
With Vanek's skate in the direction of the goal. "Distinct kicking motion" I would say not!

https://twitter.com/kfraserthecall

That's nice but still pissed.

Islander Prophet

Oct 31, 2010
London, UK
this is a demonstration of how we are regarded and treated by the league as an organization, and while many will try to give excuses and tell us to move on because it probably won't make a difference, one thing I can tell you is that this feeling I am getting right now as an Isles fan is extremely unpleasant and I don't think this is right

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY

You are 1000% correct. Lost in all of this is the extremely stupid and costly icing by Regin. He had enough time to make a souffle yet he ices it. He panicked or he had no awareness of the situation and that really ticks me off. Dummy.

Paulinho

No Man's Sky
Jun 8, 2003
Earth
Just wondering if anyone else heard that random spiel about tge islesduring the kings ducks game tonight? Im in cali so i can see the late games here... but i'm wondering if they did that because vanek was displeased with the call and was outspoken about it. it seemed like a random jab at the isles.

BossyMVP

Die SABRES die
Jun 27, 2011
Long Island
Vanek after the game...

"I thought it was a terrible call," Vanek said. "I think we all know what a kicking motion is. My skate never elevated, it was on the ice the whole time. I don't know if it's because who we are. I think if that's Pittsburgh or some of those top teams, it's maybe a goal.

He is now an official islander.

Talain

Mar 7, 2007
So just who was the imbecile who decided that that call should have gone up to Toronto to begin with? And on what basis does the war room in Toronto get to overrule the on-ice officials in this instance?

Mike Murphy and Kris King deserve to be tarred and feathered for this outrage.

original islander

Oct 12, 2011
So just who was the imbecile who decided that that call should have gone up to Toronto to begin with? And on what basis does the war room in Toronto get to overrule the on-ice officials in this instance?

Mike Murphy and Kris King deserve to be tarred and feathered for this outrage.

You mean ex-Rangers Mike Murphy and Kris King? We shouldn't forget Director of Hockey Operations Colin Campbell ex Ranger coach, friend of Neil Smith and player on the 74-75 Penguins team. All of this actually means nothing but still I would feel a little bit more secure if Patrick Flatley was looking at some of these replays.

Anybody remember those goals reviewed in the playoff series in the 2007 against Buffalo. Probably coincidence that so many close reviews go against us but still gives one an uneasy feeling. For the most part Toronto gets 95% of these reviews right and are much better than the NFL.

Last edited:

Groin Of Bates

Jan 11, 2007
Vanek after the game...

"I thought it was a terrible call," Vanek said. "I think we all know what a kicking motion is. My skate never elevated, it was on the ice the whole time. I don't know if it's because who we are. I think if that's Pittsburgh or some of those top teams, it's maybe a goal.

He is now an official islander.

He is also just saying the things any teammate would say, whether he plans on staying or leaving.

...unless that statement justified him being an Islander to you, personally.

Vandalay Industries

Feb 13, 2008
I was very surprised the goal was overturned. I told my wife, " I think he kicked it but you can't tell from the replay whether it was intentional or not. I don't see how they can overturn that." It did go off his skate, but I can't tell if he even knew it was there. I felt like maybe Toronto has a view of it that wasn't broadcast.

The thing is: It has noting to do with whether or not it was intentional. I know the broadcasters say so, but that is exactly why they are not referees, but braodcasters.

If there is a motion towards the puck ("kicking motion" as the rule book states, but it really does confuse some people with this term) the goal shoud be disallowed, and that's what there is.

No foul from Toronto. The call was correct.

Sparksrus3

Jun 2, 2012
You mean they are 6-9 in those contests. They have only won 6 of the 15 games they led by 2 goals. Pathetic. Sums up their epic fail of a season.

Carkner 1.5 mill
Donovan. .875
Dehaan. .870
Strait. .775
Hickey. .675
Martinek. .600
Macdonald. .550

Poulin. .577

You get what you pay for. You don't see any Hugo's on the road do you?

On that note. Let's Go Isles! Beat The Rags!

Last edited:

crashthenet

Jul 9, 2004
Hockey Falls
Tough to let this one go. The type of game that gives you momentum heading into a tough week.

Some of the decisions made were brutal as well. I agree with anti-Regin sentiment. He had plenty of time. Bailey and Regin are no where near as effective as Grabner defensively, he sat on the bench. How, in overtime, do Clutterbuck and Bailey touch the ice ahead of Grabner? Grabner comes out 2 and 1/2 minutes into the overtime, that's puzzling.The only player who saw less icetime on the entire roster was Carkner. Hickey should be on the ice 4 v 4 ahead of Amac. Hickey is a plus 6 in his last 2 games, Amac -5, maybe even strength as well. Some here suggest that Hickey gets overwhelmed physically. Not nearly as much as 47. He plays 28 minutes a night and has zero even strength points in his last 10 games. And I could go on. The PP was 0 for 5. etc.

Not happy this morning.

lazycop

Dave's not here.
Mar 25, 2006
My Very first post.
I'm a fan since i'm 10 years old. 41 years I have rooted for this team.
N Y Isles never got respect from this league even after they were 4 time Stanley Cup Champions and they change the final Format to 2-3-2 .
"distinct kicking motion" is as explicit as a rule can state.
This was in no way a distinct kicking motion.
At this point I want either OR BOTH my Owner and My GM to Scream to the high heavens, I want them to contact all the media outlets and lobby for this to not just get forgotten.
This league will never rise higher than the Joke it is unless it openly admits its mistakes LIKE EVERY OTHER PRO LEAGUE. I want the official suspended and the Islanders to get an Apology from this league. It is hard enough to watch this team but to be openly screwed like this I can't endure.
Love to read this board and appreciate all who contribute and bleed like I do for my team.
Never been so upset , not after '83, not after hunter, not after Darcy. this is the worst.

Hate to disagree, but I'm a 50 yr. old rooting for this team since '75, and that was the worst, and will almost certainly never be surpassed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad