GDT: #54| St. Louis Blues @ New York Islanders | January 25th | 1:00pm | F/SOL 4-3

BTrotts19

May 17, 2013
LI, NY
Added Blues coach Ken Hitchcock: ''They aren't going to make a mistake when it goes to Toronto.''

Seriously? Why not just have some integrity and say "we got away with one there".

Because he's no dummy. Why would he anger Toronto when his team is making a push for a deep playoff run. Maybe he gives the blanket "I haven't seen it" or "no comment" but he wants to keep his best interest at heart and having one go against them later in the year or playoffs for the sake appeasing us would be crazy.

Wang/Snow should be the ones speaking out. Jack is a tool, don't expect that buffoon to do anything but management should be going out and publicly questioning that decision.

Barz1

Oct 22, 2011
I would be shocked if they even responded but let us know. This really does warrant a response from Bettman or the Toronto officials. Directly affecting the outcome of a game on a bogus overturned call. :rant:

Before everyone jumps on me---- I know it won't happen, but---- the league should review the play again and award both teams 2pts

Islander Prophet

Oct 31, 2010
London, UK
Before everyone jumps on me---- I know it won't happen, but---- the league should review the play again and award both teams 2pts

I was thinking of something similar... Don't take away the win from STL but award us the OT winner...

I know it won't happen, but that would be the decent thing to do

Barz1

Oct 22, 2011
I was thinking of something similar... Don't take away the win from STL but award us the OT winner...

I know it won't happen, but that would be the decent thing to do

Exactly--- especially since they don't play in the same conference---- imagine this call in a playoff game???!!!!

MetsJetsIsles22

Oct 27, 2013
it was a terrible call..incredibly frustrating considering how we played a top NHL team and cup contender. But this is far more frustrating...

"The Islanders (21-25-8) have led by two or more goals 15 times in 54 games this season -- and are 6-4-5 in those contests."

IslanderPride

Fire & Ice
Jul 5, 2008
NY
Time to write Kerry Fraser, I would sure love to hear an insider's perspective on how they can justify waving off Vanek's goal. If enough of us bother him, hopefully he'll address it in his next "Hey Ref" on TSN.
I ask Paul Stewart on Twitter this question and he said @PaulStewart22: @IslanderPride Ask the Chinese takeout food eating crew in Toronto where the distinct kicking motion was. Call on ice should have stood."

Then sent a good read "@PaulStewart22: @IslanderPride Selling the Call: http://t.co/vZa7Obt9Zw and Gettin' Your Kicks: http://t.co/j6iPDh4hKH"

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
Blues fan here:

Very exciting game. So many near-goals and dangerous chances. Poulin played a great game and was under intense pressure at times. I was glad the Blues tied it in regulation, but mainly because I wanted to watch more of this hockey.

The Islanders have some very exciting young players. I hope your team pulls it together and makes a late charge for the playoffs.

I was very surprised the goal was overturned. I told my wife, " I think he kicked it but you can't tell from the replay whether it was intentional or not. I don't see how they can overturn that." It did go off his skate, but I can't tell if he even knew it was there. I felt like maybe Toronto has a view of it that wasn't broadcast. Regardless, I'd be very irritated to see my team lose one on a call like that. I remember Chicago getting a phantom goal at the end of the season a couple years ago, and the puck never crossed the line. Its hard to take.

Poulin deserved to get a win from that effort. The Blues played much better after the coach benched Stewart.

Anyway, sorry the game ended on a sour note with the officiating. Good luck to your team. I hope you beat the Rangers in Yankee stadium.

Disgraced Cosmonaut

Oct 26, 2002
Visit site
I don't care if he makes the miracles save here or there, Poulin can't make the standard save at a standard time. This team has to fight an uphill battle as constituted. If you're not going to have a shut down defense, you need an above-average, at a minimum, netminder. We have a below average netminder. Anyone who says otherwise is kidding herself. I like the kid, and feel bad for him, but he's either not ripe, or he's too inconsistent.

Chardo

Apr 27, 2007
it was a terrible call..incredibly frustrating considering how we played a top NHL team and cup contender. But this is far more frustrating...

"The Islanders (21-25-8) have led by two or more goals 15 times in 54 games this season -- and are 6-4-5 in those contests."

You mean they are 6-9 in those contests. They have only won 6 of the 15 games they led by 2 goals. Pathetic. Sums up their epic fail of a season.

Isles75

Jan 29, 2007
Long Island
Regardless of Toronto's blown call, The Blues out played the Isles for most of this game and the Isles still managed to be leading by one with a minute left and still blew 2 leads. One in the final seconds. Peter Regin should be the goat that everyone here is pissed at, not Toronto. If that idiot just carries the puck a little longer and aims at a empty net, the games over. But he iced the puck. It should NOT have come to that overtime decision by Toronto.

ScaredStreit

May 5, 2006
Tampa, FL
The ref was in the right spot/angle to call the play. And he called it a goal. I'm not upset that they thought it was a kick (I can kind of see that). BUT to overrule the ref it has to be conclusive. That it wans't. If the ref ruled that it was a kicking motion-then I would have expected Toronto to uphold that decision. The ref on the ice-right up in the play go the call right in live time-and Toronto couldn't do it over a replay? Pathetic.

Ziggy16

Mar 1, 2005
Kerry fraser says refs were right, TO Was WRONG

Looks like kerry fraser's next article will be this goal:

via twitter:

Reasonable to expect contact to Vanek's back by Steen altered his body position & forward motion toward the net. Confusing 4 sure?
"Very slight" move toward goal by Vanek's left skate in a rotational spin but not "distinct kicking motion" in ref's or my opinion.
With Vanek's skate in the direction of the goal. "Distinct kicking motion" I would say not!

https://twitter.com/kfraserthecall

duster19

Feb 13, 2013
The explanation on their blog is embarrassing. It describes nothing and is just a brief statement saying he kicked it...which is what we all already know.

Nhl is useless when it comes to these decisions. Take a lesson from the NFL and cater to your fans. A complete explanation is at least warranted...joke.

IslanderPride

Fire & Ice
Jul 5, 2008
NY
Regardless of Toronto's blown call, The Blues out played the Isles for most of this game and the Isles still managed to be leading by one with a minute left and still blew 2 leads. One in the final seconds. Peter Regin should be the goat that everyone here is pissed at, not Toronto. If that idiot just carries the puck a little longer and aims at a empty net, the games over. But he iced the puck. It should NOT have come to that overtime decision by Toronto.

As someone said on Twitter --->
"They shouldn't have been in that position" is a copout rationale. Fact is, they were and they scored. But then they didn't. #Isles"

Isles75

Jan 29, 2007
Long Island
As someone said on Twitter --->
"They shouldn't have been in that position" is a copout rationale. Fact is, they were and they scored. But then they didn't. #Isles"

No, blaming everyone else but yourself for a loss is a copout. Team blew two leads. One with seconds left. This team failed to get it done, again in regulation. Did Toronto blow the call, no doubt. But that's how it worked out. All goals are reviewd by Toronto. Maybe next time they will actually hold on to a lead with seconds left.

Isles Fan

Sep 12, 2006
No, blaming everyone else but yourself for a loss is a copout. Team blew two leads. One with seconds left. This team failed to get it done, again in regulation. Did Toronto blow the call, no doubt. But that's how it worked out. All goals are reviewd by Toronto. Maybe next time they will actually hold on to a lead with seconds left.

^^^^This!!!

Time to stop whining like a bunch of crybabies on here.

They were up 2-0, 2-1 and 3-2 with under a minute to go. Hold the lead, don't put your destiny in someone else's hands.

Time to move on.

Isles1

Nov 8, 2010
Nassau County, L.I.

No doubt, and not denying that at all. In fact, Regin needs to sit the remainder of the season and let him fade into the sunset when it's all over.

But the overwhelming majority of hockey fans thought it was a goal, We've all seen the replay, and not sure what other angle would have justified the call to overturn. Maybe it's the circumstances of the call on the ice being overturned that just doesn't sit well with many. I am not one for conspiracies, but it surely leaves one wondering what they were thinking, and how they can get it so wrong. Bottom line is we were robbed a point.

Isles75

Jan 29, 2007
Long Island
No doubt, and not denying that at all. In fact, Regin needs to sit the remainder of the season and let him fade into the sunset when it's all over.

But the overwhelming majority of hockey fans thought it was a goal, We've all seen the replay, and not sure what other angle would have justified the call to overturn. Maybe it's the circumstances of the call on the ice being overturned that just doesn't sit well with many. I am not one for conspiracies, but it surely leaves one wondering what they were thinking, and how they can get it so wrong. Bottom line is we were robbed a point.

I agree with you and everyone else. I don't know what Toronto was thinking. It was a good goal.

But Regin is the real goat of this loss. His icing the puck, when he had time and space to make a much better play lead to that last goal.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany

If he doesn't ice that puck with 1:12 or whatever left in the game, the Isles win. Incredibly rushed and desperate with absolutely no-one near him.

I just can't figure that out what he was thinking. Heck, he had so much space, he could have just skated it out and likely scored an empty-netter with little effort...

This said, I've seen Toronto allow too many more questionable goals for that goal to have gone unallowed.

nystromshairstylist

Dec 13, 2009
But Regin is the real goat of this loss. His icing the puck, when he had time and space to make a much better play lead to that last goal.

I don't agree with this, and while I despise Regin and have wanted him off the roster since September as his awful play has cost the Isles dearly before, on this specific play he was not at fault.

As anyone who plays the game, he is in the high slot and has no idea who is behind him; if a Blue lifted his stick from behind and took the puck away while he was taking his time to get the puck out of the zone, everyone here would have been all over him, screaming: "what were you waiting for!" He sensed heat around him, and sent the puck down.

Could he have just lifted the puck sky-high so that it would not have reached the backboards, perhaps but his view on the ice is not the same as ours' on TV with a view 75 foot above where we can see the whole ice.

As usual, this pathetic loss is totally on the awful coaching staff, and the only reason that capuano still has a job is that Wang has clearly ordered Snow not to fire him no matter what, because he is unwilling to pay an NHL-level quality coach's salary. At this point I believe that we could lose every game for the rest of the season, and Capuano would still not be fired.

nyscene

Jul 26, 2006
PANIC!
^^^^This!!!

Time to stop whining like a bunch of crybabies on here.

They were up 2-0, 2-1 and 3-2 with under a minute to go. Hold the lead, don't put your destiny in someone else's hands.

Time to move on.

You seem to forget we were playing a damn good team. Putting the blues away is not easy. They want the points to, you know.

Anyway, they did take care of it themselves. They scored a fourth goal. Toronto took it away, basically because they could. Whatever happened up until that point in time is moot.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad