Prospect Info: #54 Hunter Smith

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
The exception to the rule is a pretty poor justification for making a choice. I've gone fishing and accidentally caught a bird on my line before; does that mean that a fishing rod is an effective tool for catching birds?

They don't just pick Smith knowing that he was passed up last year. They pick him knowing why he was passed up last year, and what has changed between last year and this year (and why). If anything, an extra year makes him more of a sure bet because we've seen how he develops for a year more than other prospects.

Anthony Mauro

DraftBuzz Hockey
Oct 3, 2004
www.draftbuzzhockey.com
Courtesy of DraftBuzz:

Hunter Smith Oshawa LW
Having been passed over in last year's draft, Oshawa's Big Rig improved by leaps and bounds this year. He lived up to the big man on campus billing by being a nightly monster on the wing hitting, fighting, and disturbing the crease. Deceptively skilled, he has a surprisingly good ability to dish the puck. His skating is not terrible, but he needs to pull it together with more weight and coordination. Coming close to a PPG in the playoffs, Smith is intriguing as a potential Josh Anderson 2.0.

Late 2nd is not a bad spot to gamble on a player like Smith. He is trending up and still improving, making him more unique than most big guys taken earlier than expected.

fallsviewafro*

Very happy we drafted Smith:

BracKOyCcAA12o6.jpg

The good news: his sister is hot. The bad news: you only need to go through a 6' 220lb scrapper to get to her.

fallsviewafro*

Brian Burke ‏@Burkie2020 2m
We are not worried about Hunter Smith's bellicosity or truculence, as evidenced by his family, @stephtaysmith!

for reference

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
They don't just pick Smith knowing that he was passed up last year. They pick him knowing why he was passed up last year, and what has changed between last year and this year (and why). If anything, an extra year makes him more of a sure bet because we've seen how he develops for a year more than other prospects.

I'm not arguing that he hasn't improved dramatically; I'm specifically saying that "but what about Lucic" is not a good argument for taking a player with lacklustre numbers in junior. I'm fine with the argument that Smith has a lot of room for growth and might be a late bloomer, but I'm not fine with the Lucic argument as a blanket defence of any big dude who doesn't produce all that well.

Mr Lebowski

Go Flames
Feb 18, 2014
Toronto
I'm not arguing that he hasn't improved dramatically; I'm specifically saying that "but what about Lucic" is not a good argument for taking a player with lacklustre numbers in junior. I'm fine with the argument that Smith has a lot of room for growth and might be a late bloomer, but I'm not fine with the Lucic argument as a blanket defence of any big dude who doesn't produce all that well.

:handclap:

MonahanTheMan

Pray for Flames
Jul 10, 2013
Bellingham, WA

Thank you for saying exactly what I was going to, and saving me the time...

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
The exception to the rule is a pretty poor justification for making a choice. I've gone fishing and accidentally caught a bird on my line before; does that mean that a fishing rod is an effective tool for catching birds?

It would be nice for this guy to turn into a giant top 6 winger, and as far as overage draftees go he certainly looks more intriguing than many, but he obviously has a lot of question marks and I wouldn't be remotely surprised if he was a complete bust (which I realize is an easy statement to make in regard to any pick outside of the 1st round in most drafts).

I was clearly making fun of saying no prospect with more Pims than games played was worth taking in the second round or would become a top 6 player. I never once said we should hope picking for Lucic's but you can read in to it how ever you want.

MonahanTheMan

Pray for Flames
Jul 10, 2013
Bellingham, WA
I was clearly making fun of saying no prospect with more Pims than games played was worth taking in the second round or would become a top 6 player. I never once said we should hope picking for Lucic's but you can read in to it how ever you want.

It's not just that he had more penalty minutes than games played... so did Sam Bennett. It's that the game that he plays does not really lend itself to much more than being a big fourth-line body who makes the opposition sweat, and I have to wonder whether he'll ever have the finesse to crack an NHL lineup. Personally I just feel this was a bit of a wasted pick based on his real-world majour-league potential.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
It's not just that he had more penalty minutes than games played... so did Sam Bennett. It's that the game that he plays does not really lend itself to much more than being a big fourth-line body who makes the opposition sweat, and I have to wonder whether he'll ever have the finesse to crack an NHL lineup. Personally I just feel this was a bit of a wasted pick based on his real-world majour-league potential.

I'm just curious, but honestly how many times did you watch Smith play this past year?

MonahanTheMan

Pray for Flames
Jul 10, 2013
Bellingham, WA
I'm just curious, but honestly how many times did you watch Smith play this past year?

Quite a few times, because I generally pay good attention to the Generals, but he didn't stand out as much besides how much bigger he was than every other player on the ice.

I think people are chalking up this last year to mean that he is somehow gonna be a middle six player simply because of how much better he looked then as opposed to the year before. Maybe he's a late bloomer, I don't know. But you can't just say that because he had a good year. Smith is more or less destined to play eight minutes a night and hit people as hard as he can, if he ever cracks the NHL. This was my problem with the Kanzig pick, too.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Quite a few times, because I generally pay good attention to the Generals, but he didn't stand out as much besides how much bigger he was than every other player on the ice.

I think people are chalking up this last year to mean that he is somehow gonna be a middle six player simply because of how much better he looked then as opposed to the year before. Maybe he's a late bloomer, I don't know. But you can't just say that because he had a good year. Smith is more or less destined to play eight minutes a night and hit people as hard as he can, if he ever cracks the NHL. This was my problem with the Kanzig pick, too.

Fair enough, I saw him a couple of times from early to mid season and never paid much attention to him. But I saw a few more games towards the end of the season and playoffs mostly to watch Dal Colle.

Smith actually impressed me quite a bit. You can tell he's still quite rough around the edges in some areas, but this is a hockey player IMO. For a guy that size, he has far more skill and hockey sense than a guy like Kanzig. He's actually an average passer and his finishing skills continually got better as the season went on. His skating isn't great, but it's far from terrible. These are the reasons the supporters of this pick, like Smith so much because we see more than just a face puncher.

He needs to develop, but I definitely see something there and I'm excited about him.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC

That's fine, I'm not trying to say that Smith isn't a bit of a project but I was trying to say that a hard line rule like more Pims than games played or being passed over in a draft shouldn't be the only reason to not draft him. Having seen him a bit this year and reading what his coach had to say about him I am a big believer that he will become atleast a top 9 player as his net front presence will be amazing.

Reinhart

Jun 13, 2011

You didn't notice how he was matched up against other team's top lines often? You don't send out goons in those situations, and the other team ends up skating circles around him.

There is good reason to be optimistic of Smith. There is also good reason to be optimistic of Kanzig as well. Size and the ability to punch faces is not the only things these kids have in common. Big players are often late bloomers. They both have great Hockey IQ. They both line up against the opposing team's BEST players. Kanzig is probably the better skater at this point (you didn't see him at camp last year?), but Smith is also improving upon that.

I would bet they both become serviceable NHL players, not goons. Their IQ and determination (remember, Kanzig is apparently one of the most dedicated and intelligent prospects when it comes to training, and Smith sure sounds like he is the same) coupled with their physical size and agility make them very, very interesting prospects.

Will be nice to see how Kanzig's skating has improved (and it wasn't bad at all in camp!), and see how Smith moves around as well compared to the rest of the prospects.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012

I'm so happy some of you guys know more than both our scouting staff, AND NHL analystd who loved this pick. He's being touted as having soft hands to go along with monster size.

He's not a late bloomer by any means; he was in last years draft as a guy who if he was born 4 days later would not have even been in the draft. He made big strides in his first real CHL campaign.

MonahanTheMan

Pray for Flames
Jul 10, 2013
Bellingham, WA
You didn't notice how he was matched up against other team's top lines often? You don't send out goons in those situations, and the other team ends up skating circles around him.

There is good reason to be optimistic of Smith. There is also good reason to be optimistic of Kanzig as well. Size and the ability to punch faces is not the only things these kids have in common. Big players are often late bloomers. They both have great Hockey IQ. They both line up against the opposing team's BEST players. Kanzig is probably the better skater at this point (you didn't see him at camp last year?), but Smith is also improving upon that.

I would bet they both become serviceable NHL players, not goons. Their IQ and determination (remember, Kanzig is apparently one of the most dedicated and intelligent prospects when it comes to training, and Smith sure sounds like he is the same) coupled with their physical size and agility make them very, very interesting prospects.

Will be nice to see how Kanzig's skating has improved (and it wasn't bad at all in camp!), and see how Smith moves around as well compared to the rest of the prospects.

You're missing the point. Sure, he was moderately effective in his second year of junior, that doesn't mean he will end up being effective in the NHL.

Master Bill

Congrats, Oilers! (2023)
Nov 9, 2014
So... Apparently Hunter Smith bullied a little kid. Too reckless man, too reckless. :shakehead

Skip to the 0:35 mark:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad