Prospect Info: #54 Hunter Smith

Status
Not open for further replies.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
We picked up a guy here that lots of us wanted with our 3rd rounder, so we gotta be happy about that. The size is nice, I have to wonder though if his breakout on offense has too much to do with him being a bit of a man child, who was finally given the opportunity in a scoring role. At any rate I think its an alright pick at that spot.

Ill give this one a B.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
The generals coach said next to Dal Colle, Smith was their best player in the playoffs, that includes Laughton. Smith was speaking about how much he committed himself to the gym and hockey this past year, he knows he needs to work on his skating, and was honest that he's not NHL ready. This kid is loaded with character and hard work, I don't know that he will ever be a 2nd line winger, but you cannot rule that out due to his physical attributes, I absolutely LOVE this pick.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
The generals coach said next to Dal Colle, Smith was their best player in the playoffs, that includes Laughton. Smith was speaking about how much he committed himself to the gym and hockey this past year, he knows he needs to work on his skating, and was honest that he's not NHL ready. This kid is loaded with character and hard work, I don't know that he will ever be a 2nd line winger, but you cannot rule that out due to his physical attributes, I absolutely LOVE this pick.

I wanted him in our stable, didn't think it would cost us our late 2nd but yeah, happy we have him for sure. Thats great praise, should be one of the most interesting guys to follow next year.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I wanted him in our stable, didn't think it would cost us our late 2nd but yeah, happy we have him for sure. Thats great praise, should be one of the most interesting guys to follow next year.

Honestly, if he works on his skating, he's a smart player and he sounds like a gym rat at a solid 220lbs, there is no reason that he can't evolve into a top potential top 6 winger. A guy like that is your net guy on the PP if he has decent hands, as long as he can skate and has decent hockey sense (Smith does), you really have the potential to have a quality player. He can score, and he sounds like he's a really good kid and full of character. We were totally missing this type of player in our system, kudos to the Flames for taking him. Sam Constanino thought the Avs were maybe going to take him in the 1st!

Reactions: InfinityIggy

JurassicTunga

it is what it is
Mar 21, 2010
Really excited about this pick. Amazing size at 6'7", soft hands esp. around the net, smarts, toughness/strength, character, and a RWer, which was needed. He's no goon who can't play the game of ice hockey at all. He won't score a ton of points but he provides those intangibles that you win with. He has things to work on like his skating of course.

The fact that he shot up the rankings quickly is indeed a great sign.

I think if things go well, he can be a top 6 player for us. 3rd line is most likely.
imo

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
Central scouting had Maygar 32, Smith 39.
Smith wasn't part of the discussion, but Kase was.

Magyar taken at 93 and Kase taken at 107, in spite of central scouting's rankings. So the entire scouting staffs of all thirty NHL teams felt they weren't worth picks until at least the 3rd round.

Central Scouting 1 - NHL Teams' Scouts 30

Skip2myBordyloo

Stay the course
Apr 7, 2010
Smith wasn't part of the discussion, but Kase was.

Magyar taken at 93 and Kase taken at 107, in spite of central scouting's rankings. So the entire scouting staffs of all thirty NHL teams felt they weren't worth picks until at least the 3rd round.

Central Scouting 1 - NHL Teams' Scouts 30

You can't assume that just because we know for certain 1 team had Smith over Magyar.

It's very possible some teams had Hunter Smith ranked somewhere in the middle of the 4th round.

gmjohnny

Aug 3, 2005
Though watching him fight Darnell Nurse, I'm less excited about his fighting skills. If he didn't have strength and the reach, pretty sure he'd lose more often than not.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QL08i5cnlCc&sns=em

This is when he was 16 yrs old and playing for the spits (15 games that year) before he was traded to Oshawa....the first year he had ever fought out of midget. He really didnt
get to fight as a 17 year old due to his hand having his tendons sliced. He spent a lot of time boxing at Windsor boxing club learning to fight over the past 2 years and he is far and away the toughest guy in the league at this point. Check out his 2013-2014 fights to see what he can really do in a fight. I saw him fight Tyler Hill from Ottawa who is 6 ft 6 240 and he had a unanimous decision and the goon from Mississauga Brandon Bolling? and he destroyed him. Dont use his 16 yr old fights as he is a different player. Whether he is a 3rd liner or 2nd liner will totally depend on how he does this season. He is a strong checker and defender as him and Latour were the shut down pair but he has very underated passing skills due to vision and space he creates with puck protection. After the first round of the playoffs he led the OHL in scoring, so he I am expecting a break out year. As he continues to develop his first few steps and overall agility on his edges, the upside looks like a Lucic/ Byfgulien type of player who can be physically dominating

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
A fun tidbit, Smith often does yoga for his balance. He also likes to box and he does a variety of training regimens. He's really dedicated himself this past year.

I also heard the Generals headcoach interview where he discussed Smith, he said if Dal Colle goes to the NHL next year, Hunter is expected to be the Generals top winger. I don't expect Dal Colle to make the Isles, but it shows you how highly his coach thinks of him.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
If Smith breaks out more offensively this year, and I believe he will, he's going to be an exciting prospect no question.

Haatley

haatley
Jun 9, 2011
Toronto

I saw quite a few mocks by various places that had Smith goin top 60.

I am pleased.

Mr Lebowski

Go Flames
Feb 18, 2014
Toronto
In rankings I had Smith outside my top 60 as did most people on CFHF pre-draft. Warming up to all the other pick but this one

herashak

Mar 24, 2013
If he progresses nicely him and ferland could really intimidate while doing it all on the 3rd line with backlund.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
We aren't going to regret this pick. Smith was a mid term rank of 140 and jumped to 39. His stock increased, and this late 2nd will be a steal. Just think about it, we traded Berra for Smith... ---> STEAL.

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
In rankings I had Smith outside my top 60 as did most people on CFHF pre-draft. Warming up to all the other pick but this one
Who didn't have him ranked in the top 60?

Here's how others have ranked him, for interest's sake:

Bob McKenzie*: 52
Craig Button: 88
THN: 49
ISS: 39
hockeyprospect.com: 54
McKeen's: 76
NHL CS: 39 NAS

*Keep in mind, Bob McKenzie's rankings are based on a poll of actual NHL scouting staffs...

So I have to ask, why don't you like him? What aspect of his game do you not like?

Skip2myBordyloo

Stay the course
Apr 7, 2010
Clearly you've missed the entire point - no team had Magyar or Kase (again, Smith was not part of the discussion) as high as Central Scouting.

Apparently, But you have to take in the European skaters, European goalies and North American goalies and assume he fits somewhere in the 50-70 range for central scouting. I'll agree nobody had him#32 on their list but that's not to say some teams still may have had him in the 60-90 range. I've only seen one ranking listing him as a 5th rounder as you've suggested.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad