Prospect Info: #53OA - Hurricanes select C Vasiliy Ponomaryev (Shawinigan - QMHJL) - signed to ELC 10/13/20

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
I mean, he does seem to have a strong 2 way game already and also appears to be a physical specimen if he’s referred to as a “beer fridge”.

He’s already in North America, so can’t be the Russian Factor. Pretty odd to see him inked before Drury or Rees.

Reactions: WreckingCrew

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
I mean, he does seem to have a strong 2 way game already and also appears to be a physical specimen if he’s referred to as a “beer fridge”.

He’s already in North America, so can’t be the Russian Factor. Pretty odd to see him inked before Drury or Rees.

Drury is (was) an NCAA guy, so that's not too much of a surprise, but Ponomaryov ELC'ing before Rees is interesting.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Jun 30, 2011
Well I say before Drury, since Drury has since left Harvard and gone pro. Maybe the Canes did try to sign him before he went to the SHL?

I agree, him before Rees is odd.

It may not be advantageous to sign Rees at this moment, though, since he can't be slid. The time to sign Rees would've been last year. Getting a Canadian junior player inked early on often allows you to slide the contract for 2 years.

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
The fact that the Q is playing but not the O is one factor. The other one is that I'm not sure that a Rees ELC can be slid if he inks a deal now. Maybe for a year, but not sure.
Deals slide for all players until the reach 20 or play 10 games in the league. Suzuki's deal has slid a year. Probably will slide again.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Jun 30, 2011
I think he should be ready to play and crack your guys roster in a year, by 21-22 season if everything goes well.

No way. Our club is much, much too deep for that, and we're known for a rather patient approach to prospects. They're going to slide him for 2 years. Maybe they'll play him in the AHL in 2021-2022 if the rules for foreign junior players are different than for Canadian nationals.

Reactions: WreckingCrew

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
My guess on why he was signed earlier than normal is COVID related. There is no guarantee that the CHL is going to be able to complete their seasons. Already one team in the Q got hit really hard. If the leagues shut down, some guys are going to look to other options, and Ponamaryev might have options and a willingness in the KHL. If he did do that, he could sign a contract, and then due to the agreement, we'd be unable to do anything with him. This makes sure we retain his contractual control. A guy like Rees is much less likely to go to the KHL if the CHL shuts down.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Solid point in the KHL threat here. Good chance that whatever KHL team were to sign him would sign him to a 2 or 3 year deal. Definitely complicates things for when we try to bring him back over and if the NHL/CHL transfer rules are relaxed this year due to covid we can get him in to Charlotte sooner rather than later.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
I like the player, despite deservedly being the third guy we chose there’s something about the pick I like and am already rooting for, so whatever the reason I’m glad they signed him. Glad they like him to the point they feel the need to protect the pick.

I think I finally see the value in this draft. All three of the guys we took in the first two rounds have a higher ceiling to me than Rees and Drury, and where to slot Suzuki isn’t even a sure thing on the big list. I’m generally not prone to shiny new toy syndrome either. The top three are pretty legit prospects. This guy has a more rounded game than Gunler who seems likely to make it as a dangerous scorer or nothing.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
He looks bigger than his listed size/weight, albeit it's hard to tell though as he's on the rink with other kids.

Sounds like his attitude is similar to Svech. Not that he's Russian, but in his intensity, work ethic, and enjoyment of life in general. I agree, not hard to root for a kid like this.

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
My guess on why he was signed earlier than normal is COVID related. There is no guarantee that the CHL is going to be able to complete their seasons. Already one team in the Q got hit really hard. If the leagues shut down, some guys are going to look to other options, and Ponamaryev might have options and a willingness in the KHL. If he did do that, he could sign a contract, and then due to the agreement, we'd be unable to do anything with him. This makes sure we retain his contractual control. A guy like Rees is much less likely to go to the KHL if the CHL shuts down.
That was pretty much my thinking...this is a way to have a bit more control over the situation should the Q shut down and he bolts to play in the KHL where you have to deal with transfer windows and any contract he may sign. My understanding is because he was drafted while on a CHL team he's treated as any other CHL player (can't go play the AHL until he's 20)?

Reactions: DaveG

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
That was pretty much my thinking...this is a way to have a bit more control over the situation should the Q shut down and he bolts to play in the KHL where you have to deal with transfer windows and any contract he may sign. My understanding is because he was drafted while on a CHL team he's treated as any other CHL player (can't go play the AHL until he's 20)?

He could play in the AHL as a PTO after the junior season as well, right? So if the Q shuts down early, the Canes could petition for him to transition to the AHL?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad