Prospect Info: #53OA - Hurricanes select C Vasiliy Ponomaryev (Shawinigan - QMHJL) - signed to ELC 10/13/20

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
5'11 - 180

LHS C

High motor player and a two-way force. His offensive game may be a bit underrated due to how to he was utilized with Shawinigan since he had a higher profile prospect ahead of him iat the position (Bourque).

18G 31A in 57 games

from Black Book:
he’s very strong on his skates and is solid along the wall when it comes time to protect the puck. He is also not afraid to attack the net with it, using his strength well to bully himself towards the net. One strong aspect of Ponomarev’s game is his playmaking abilities; he sees the ice well and made some real high-end passes during the year, such as cross-ice passes on the power play or no-look passes behind the net. Physically, he’s very strong, especially his lower body.

ranked 81

Last edited:
Reactions: Unsustainable

IceColdOx

Jan 29, 2019
Watertown, NY
The ninth overall pick in the CHL Import Draft, Shawinigan Cataractes centre Vasili Ponomaryov had a strong rookie season. He scored 18 goals and 31 assists for 49 points in 57 games played before the season was cancelled. Ponmaryov also impressed on the international stage. He scored two goals and four assists for six points in five games at the Hlinka-Gretzky Cup. Ponmaryov helped the Russians to the gold medal. Overall he played 12 games with the Russian Under-18 team, scoring four goals and eight assists for 12 points. He also put up one goal and three assists for four points at the World Junior A Hockey Challenge, bringing home another gold medal, Russia’s first-ever in that tournament.

In 2018-19, Ponomaryov played for Krylia Sovetov Moskva in the MHL, Russia’s top junior league. He scored nine goals and 20 assists and 29 points in 37 games. Ponomaryov also scored four goals and four assists for eight points in six games at the Under-17 World Hockey Challenge, winning another gold medal. He was also named to the tournament all-star team. Overall in 23 Under-17 games, he scored nine goals and 11 assists for 20 points.

Vasili Ponomaryov Scouting Report: 2020 NHL Draft #52

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Pronman has his Hockey Sense at 65 which is the same as Lafreniere as the highest in the Draft. Pronman wrote that he has seem Ponomarev make elite plays offensively and his stats haven't matched how good he looks shift to shift.

He plays the second line as Mavrik Borque is on the team. Harder for a playmaker to put up stats with lesser talent. I like the upside with him. In an ideal world he becomes Svechnikov's Backstrom.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
This seems to fit our MO of the last couple of years really well. Again, I'll take a ton of skill early in the draft and be pretty happy that one or two might work out well.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
30 seconds into researching this guy, I’ve already seen his name spelled 3 different ways

NHL.com - Ponomarev
@DaveG - Ponomaryev
@IceColdOx - Ponomaryov

Edit: just found a “Ponomarov”. More to come
1394867549_19872829.jpg

CandyCanes

Caniac turned Jerkiac
Jan 8, 2015
I like this pick. I think I like it more than the Gunler pick. I don’t always like boom or bust, and this guy is just a good prospect all around.

Not saying I don’t like Gunler, I think this guy is more of a lock to make it than Gunler is as an all around talent.

Check out the pass at 3:34.

Kid looks talented in these clips

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad