Prospect Info: #53OA - Hurricanes select C Vasiliy Ponomaryev (Shawinigan - QMHJL) - signed to ELC 10/13/20

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
He could play in the AHL as a PTO after the junior season as well, right? So if the Q shuts down early, the Canes could petition for him to transition to the AHL?

Now that he's under contract, couldn't we loan him to the KHL if the Q shuts down? I through I recall hearing other teams have loaned prospects/players there.

Not sure how it all works.

Reactions: Unsustainable

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
He could play in the AHL as a PTO after the junior season as well, right? So if the Q shuts down early, the Canes could petition for him to transition to the AHL?
after the completion of his 2nd CHL season post draft, yes.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
reading about this kid he reminds me of sergei brylin who was an underrated part of some pretty good devils teams. somewhat undersized, but a willing penalty killer and just really efficient play style that is less of the flash and dash you see in major junior and more economical. there are guys like this that end up being better professionals than juniors because their game just isn't an individualistic one, but rather the kind of player you watch and feel bad for because they're making the right reads and their linemates just can't think the game on the level they can and it ends up frustrating for them. guys with this much hockey sense can move pretty quickly through the system because it's not a waste to shift them lower in your lineup. the question usually seems to be if a prospect can score enough to stay in an attacking line and can they defend enough to stay in your bottom six if they cannot and the answer seems to be pretty decisive that he can achieve the latter rather soon. this will be the kind of player we're glad we have around when the top end of our roster is being paid like it and we have to graduate entry level deals to fill holes. putting this type of player with a jesper fast for example would be fantastic. offensive players just hate playing against these types of high energy suppressing styles.

Lempo

Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Now that he's under contract, couldn't we loan him to the KHL if the Q shuts down? I through I recall hearing other teams have loaned prospects/players there.

Not sure how it all works.

Yes, but it's a hassle. NHL and KHL doesn't have an transfer agreement and thusly KHL is not an "affiliated league", so there would be a ton on paperwork between not only the teams but apparently also between the leagues.

Jets' Kristian Vesalainen was a case, and the Jets brass was not too happy about it. I think I have posted stuff about it here.

Report: Kristian Vesalainen is going to Europe

But if Pony had gone and signed himself to KHL on his own, I think his status in NHL would be "defected player". The lack of transfer agreement means he'd (as the starting point) serve his full contract there before coming to NHL.

Signing him was the only way to assert control on him. Also, drafted from the Q, Canes would have had his rights only for two years.

Last edited:

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
So i wonder if Pono considered going back to Russia when the QMJHL announced a 2 week postponement. Our contract and the postponement announcement came back to back. I wonder if they answer on how much the league was going to play was very vague and fluid. Pono might have went fishing for something more concrete to keep his progression moving forward.

The Q starts back up tomorrow, until something changes.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
Thread bump because he's beasting in the WJC at the moment

It's a nice consolation prize for maybe my favorite 2nd round center prospect, Khusnutdinov, being drafted just a few picks before Gunler. It'll be interesting to see which one of Drury/Rees/Ponomaryov end up being long-term Canes and which ones end up being premium deadline trade bait.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
It's a nice consolation prize for maybe my favorite 2nd round center prospect, Khusnutdinov, being drafted just a few picks before Gunler. It'll be interesting to see which one of Drury/Rees/Ponomaryov end up being long-term Canes and which ones end up being premium deadline trade bait.
I find it odd/worrying that Drury isn’t signed yet. I assume he isn’t Harvard eligible anymore since he is playing professionally now, but maybe there are exceptions this year?

Reactions: WreckingCrew

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
If Drury doesn’t sign between the end of the SHL season and the start of another SHL season, then I’ll start to worry. The Canes still hold his rights until August 2022. If they can’t entice him to come back stateside to play in his backyard (likely for Chicago in the AHL and him being from IL) then I imagine he ain’t signing. Who knows, if he keeps it up, he may be looking at challenging for an NHL spot next year versus a year in the minors.

On a Ponomarev note, he seems like a Drury-esque guy in playing style, maybe a little more offensive skill, but Drury is showing he’s no
slouch offensively with his last year at Harvard and now in Sweden. So at least they already have one of the two locked up.

I think Drury signs this spring. I bet they tried to sign him after the Covid break, but maybe he was hesitant to do so and hoped Harvard could start back up. He doesn’t seem like a guy who’d pull a modified “Adam Fox” maneuver.

Drury is really the only prospect I am slightly concerned about CAR getting signed. Getting Rees under contract last week was excellent news as they only had a few more months on him.

Last edited:

Lempo

Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
I find it odd/worrying that Drury isn’t signed yet. I assume he isn’t Harvard eligible anymore since he is playing professionally now, but maybe there are exceptions this year?
I had a thought on that and tried looking it up.

Looks like the reported exceptions are some lenience in the college stipend rules, which probably means there are no exceptations from the professionality rules. Not sure though, but IMO it would be super-hard to accept guys with a pro year on their belt back to NCAA.

edit: actually, I'm sure NCAA made a decision on whether there would be a pro exception for 2020-21 already when the things went south, and guys like Drury made their own deccisions in full knowledge that they would lose their NCAA eligibility by going pro.

Hard to see that the "advisors" wouldn't seek to clear that question out from the NCAA before signing the pro contract.

Last edited:

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
Probably just the opportunity in the K, I don't think he expected to be demoted to the V
Well that and also probably because no one knows how the CHL/Canadian government will operate for the foreseeable future. Will they potentially shut down again, denying players important development time? Just a lot more certainty in Russia for a Russian player.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
Well that and also probably because no one knows how the CHL/Canadian government will operate for the foreseeable future. Will they potentially shut down again, denying players important development time? Just a lot more certainty in Russia for a Russian player.
Yeah, and I think his decision was made last year when the Q's season was in doubt. Plus, the extra money doesn't hurt either if you have a choice.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->