Post-Game Talk: #53: Sabres at Flyers, Thursday, February 11, 2016

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Its perplexing that people respond to hatcher. Gluttons for punishment?

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
One thing the new league has promoted was speed.

Now you got people expecting to rocket through the neutral zone without consequence.

Granted speed didn't have anything to do with this hit but it is a result of those that came aboard post lockout; those that promote little self responsibility.

Those are the people that seem to be complaining about this hit.

Imagine that.

So if you're walking down the street and some guy comes up and clocks you in the head, it's your fault because "self responsibility", right? ;)

I mean, you should be expecting someone to do something illegal, just like that player should be expecting Gudas to do something that's against the rules? Whether you like the rules or not, they're still the rules. That guy shouldn't have his head down like that, but Gudas also can't hit him like he did when he's in a vulnerable position. It's charging and dangerously close to the head.

TheLegendkiller

Sep 2, 2009
One thing the new league has promoted was speed.

Now you got people expecting to rocket through the neutral zone without consequence.

Granted speed didn't have anything to do with this hit but it is a result of those that came aboard post lockout; those that promote little self responsibility.

Those are the people that seem to be complaining about this hit.

Imagine that.

Unfortunately that's a by-product of the technology age. There's no responsibility in doing things behind a computer and a phone. It's bled into other things like sports as well.

hatcher

Sep 30, 2007
Kelowna BC
Can't take hitting out of the game. Lindros used to skate with his head down and threw the middle all the time and it caught up with him and it should have.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Missed this one due to a ski trip. Looks like I've got a lot to catch up on between Gudas and the rare Umberger sighting.

Did Ghosts point streak survive?

FlyerFire

Feb 16, 2003
Visit site
i would be curious as to the Rangers reactions, if one of their players landed into the post like Schenn last night. they might call for a suspension or worse

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
When Sam C. & the rest of the circus was so sure of it that it would be a suspension I knew it was going the other way. :laugh:

I had the exact same thought. If Carchidi thinks it's a suspension then there's no chance. Hate those guys so much.

Speaking of those idiots, it's been amusing seeing them complain about Hakstol's terse answers. I assume it's because if the coach doesn't give controversial answers they have less to write about and that means they need to fill up space with actual hockey stuff, which exposes their lack of knowledge.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
A lot was written about Stolarz being likely to get a start and then he's sent back without playing a minute.

Bob Clarke Fan Club

Feb 14, 2003
Visit site
since he was already tied up with Giroux he likely didnt see Gudas until the last second. You think he just said oh what the ****, I want to get trucked by Gudas in a 5-1 game for ***** and giggles?
Gudas had a choice on the play. The kid had very little time to react IMO.
Gudas made his choice to make a stupid, unnecessary hit and he will pay the price.

Fail. You also have the choice to get your head up in the neutral zone, engaged with a player or not. Points for confidence though, seemed pretty sure of yourself on this one.

hckyplayer8

Don't bang the glass
Mar 26, 2011
Grand Forks,ND
So if you're walking down the street and some guy comes up and clocks you in the head, it's your fault because "self responsibility", right? ;)

I mean, you should be expecting someone to do something illegal, just like that player should be expecting Gudas to do something that's against the rules? Whether you like the rules or not, they're still the rules. That guy shouldn't have his head down like that, but Gudas also can't hit him like he did when he's in a vulnerable position. It's charging and dangerously close to the head.

Strawman at its finest.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Strawman at its finest.

I don't think you know what a strawman is. :laugh: That would be arguing against something you never said.

What I did was take what you said and gave you another example using the same pathetic flawed logic you used and asked if it made sense to you, which it shouldn't have. You're the one who said that it's not Gudas' fault because its the other guys responsibility to protect himself. So in the situation I created it would be your fault for not protecting yourself, not your attackers fault for hitting you.

Hopefully you now see why what you said makes no sense, although I'm sure you don't. ;)

hckyplayer8

Don't bang the glass
Mar 26, 2011
Grand Forks,ND
I don't think you know what a strawman is. :laugh: That would be arguing against something you never said.

What I did was take what you said and gave you another example using the same pathetic flawed logic you used and asked if it made sense to you, which it shouldn't have. You're the one who said that it's not Gudas' fault because its the other guys responsibility to protect himself. So in the situation I created it would be your fault for not protecting yourself, not your attackers fault for hitting you.

Hopefully you now see why what you said makes no sense, although I'm sure you don't. ;)

Yeah since walking down a public street is the same as being the puck carrier in hockey.

:laugh:

PALE PWNR

Jul 10, 2010
Sewell NJ

Sorry bro, not arguing with either of you either way, but what you did is the literal definition of a strawman :laugh: He does have you there

GapToothedWonder

Dec 20, 2013
Paris of the Praries

I don't like the hit because of the time and place it happened. I 100% agreed with the major especially since it only ended up being 3 minutes as that helps to stabilize the game and stops it from spinning out of control.

I have to say though I don't know if in the NHL's eyes it really broke any rules. I don't think it was particularly late, he wasn't taking steps into him, it looked like he was trying to make north-south contact through the body. The player was in a bit of a vulnerable position because of his battle with VdV but if you look at the clip where he really gets in trouble is he lose the puck, turns and looks over his shoulder and watches it as Gudas is coming in. At the same time as he is looking over his shoulder Cat seems to start to lose in edge or maybe starts to position himself to make a sharp turn. I wish Gudas had seen this and let up but it was a pretty bang bang play so it is a tough spot for him. As far as hitting a vulnerable player I think the NHL's mindset with vulnerable guys is when they are standing still along the boards with the puck in their feet and as they are trying to fish it out somebody comes in a smears them, things where a hitter sees somebody is in a bad spot and hits them anyways, verse this.

I wish it didn't happen, the penalty was the right call to keep the game controlled but I think it is a tough spot for a defenseman to be in.

GapToothedWonder

Dec 20, 2013
Paris of the Praries
05XcGDE.gif

Also how has nobody mentioned the face of the guy in the crowd. Based on how stunned he is he must be a member of these boards and knows how bad RJ has been :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad